“Great Weekend Experience”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Cathedral City
Oakland, California
“Great Weekend Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

A wonderful find through Hotwire for less than $100, including taxes. I came down with the intention of spending only one night in town to visit my teenage daughter over father's day weekend. I liked my first night so much, I asked the front desk I could stay another night and if they could match the Hotwire price - they checked into it and obliged. My daughter liked the room...she knows I tend to bargain hunt for lodging and at often may not be as impressed with my selections as she was with the Desert Oasis.

Front desk personnel were extremely nice to talk to. There are two pools - one for adults and the other one for families.

The suite was approximately 850 square feet with a massive bedroom, living and dining area. Flat screen TV in the bedroom and living area. My unit was on the first floor and it included a small patio area. My unit faced the parking lot and Cathedral Canyon Drive.

Another bonus: resorts such as this, when reserved via HOTWIRE, can charge a fee upwards of around $25/night on top of what you already paid to Hotwire. No resort fee here.

I didn't give it 5 stars only because there was some construction in the parking/valet area in front of the lobby round-about. Also, housekeeping failed to come by.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed here Friday and Saturday night for a weekend with the kids. It is a nice, clean resort and the room we had (one bedroom) was LARGE. It is a smaller property which I actually prefered. We have two boys (9 and 6 years old) and they had fun. The pool is nice but small. Thankfully we went on a hot weekend in June so it was not too crowded, but I could see where this might be a problem any busy weekend. The activity room had two ping pong tables, two pool tables, an air hockey table, and a Wii set up. The boys really liked the acitivity room and honestly, it's the best one we have seen since we started bringing the kids to the Palm Springs area. I would stay here again for a weekend but not a whole week. I think that the kids would have gotten bored if we had stayed even one more day.
The only negatives I have are that when we checked in at 9:00 pm on Friday night they tried to make me meet with the concierge to "pick up" my parking pass. The LAST thing I want after working all day then driving 2 hours in a minivan with two kids is to be blackmailed with a sales pitch in order to get my parking pass. I skipped it and when we left on Sunday we had a note on our car telling us to go the concierge to get our parking pass. Also, as I mentioned, the pool was small and there were no real "amenities" for the kids at the pool; no splash zones, waterslides, etc. I really felt this was a resort geared toward the more mature crowd. (Which I am certain I will very much appreciate when not traveling with the kids!)

Room Tip: If you don't want to be disturbed Sunday morning with the welcome message and free donuts, don...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Amy H
Auburn,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I arrived 5/15 and got a room that faces the parking lot, but most of the cars there are blocked from view by a hedge close to the cars. I would prefer this to the ones overlooking the pool if I came back. We got the bottom unit, so there is some noise from upstairs. While we did have a large family with kids last weekend, the worst was the housekeeping crew who must have been under pressure to clean that unit before 4pm checkin. Their portable radios were so loud, so much worst than all the kids. THEN they leave you a tip solicitation envelope for the housekeepers on the dresser. The pool is great during the week, but lots of rowdy kids in the water with no apparent adults monitoring them. In Hawaii we have visiting neighborhood kids that use the resort's pool and spa and suspected these kids were likewise. The room was very clean with a little patio outside with chairs and little table accessible from both the living room or the bedroom. A lot of people sit out on theirs late at night, but never heard any talk or car noise at night. There is 1 bathroom, a kitchen with a large refrig, stove, cooktop, micro. Nice cabinets, walk in closet. We passed on the presentation offer upon checkin and never got contacted again. The orientation was perhaps mentioned, but because we checked in on a Tuesday we never went. They do have paperwork telling of bingo activities, etc. I need to note that there is a 2nd, adult only pool, but it's next to the bigger family pool and the crying/screaming children would be heard if that occurred. Next to the pools is a snack bar for mixed drinks and salads, etc. We got a large club salad 3 times for $6.25, a good deal and convenient. They served $2.50 root beer floats in the after noons from 2 to 2:30, and no food orders were done then. The snack bar takes its last order at 3:45 and closes at 4pm. There is a newer mall to visit a few miles away on hwy 111 called The Rivers with a movie theater and a few restaurants there and up and down this boulevard. This mall offers some nice air conditioning, but all the small shops shut down at 7pm on Sunday's and I believe 8pm all the other nights. Kinda odd for us who wanted to walk off our dinner there 2 nights and most places were closed for the night. there's an up scale street on the other side of hwy111, called El Paseo, or something similar with the Coach, Gucci and similar pricey restaurants with Bentleys parked out front if you're into that stuff. We did stop by a Rolls Royce/Maserati dealership to look around and also saw my first 4 door Porsche Para-something 4S with a $140k price tag. the Rolls was $302k. We had a good week. I hope that I didn't come across as not liking the pool environment here, I just shared what we experienced and would come back again in a few years.

Room Tip: I don't think there are elevators, just a handicap lift to get wheelchair folks upstairs. I susp...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank garyd210
Durango, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

We chose this resort due to the fairly close proximity to Indian Wells. It was about 20 minutes away via the freeway. Could not find any place available in Indian Wells due to extremely high demand. Nevertheless this place fit the bill. The condo was well appointed and comfortable. We much enjoyed the proximity to the golf course at the country club next door and had terrific group golf lessons at a great price with Steve Creps. The pool was nice as was the hot tub. I agree with another reviewer about the time share people, but just be firm to avoid a presentation. I didn't like that it was hard to keep the car away from the sprinkler spray each night, I tried several places and could not avoid it. Also it seems like they could put people in a poolside condo instead of an outside one when there was enough room to do that. However we spent most days at the tennis tourney so it was not an issue. If I was going to hang around the resort all day, I'd would have asked to be moved to a poolside condo.

Room Tip: Ask for one poolside not one facing the parking lot!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

My Husband & I stayed one week at this WELK Resort. We liked everything about this resort. The kitchen was well equiped and organized. We spent two mornings at the Annenberg Gardens. The Gardens are on the must see list. This is a family friendly place, an adult pool and a family friendly pool.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Keith A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cathedral City
1.1 km away
Holiday Inn Express Cathedral City (Palm Springs)
5.3 km away
5.6 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Golf Resort Palm Springs
8.0 km away
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Welk Resort Palm Springs - Desert Oasis? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK