“Disappointing Room :(”

Carmel Valley Ranch
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Carmel
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I was greatly anticipating my stay at Carmel valley Ranch. The website made everything look amazing and I couldn't wait. When we arrived at the ranch it was late and we wanted to have dinner but the restaurant was full so we had to leave and go elsewhere. When we got to our room I was truely disappointed, it was small for our family of four, our kids slept on a lumpy sofa bed in the lounge, the curtains were ripped and looked scruffy, our bedroom wasn't particularly luxurious. The bathroom was lovely though and the views from the room stunning. It was a bit cramped for us all and our luggage and the interior was not of the same standard as the main lodge. We asked to move to something larger but nothing was available for our 6 nights there. The walls are very thin so we had to endure a noisy toddler in the next room waking us all in the night, morning and then a fire that was lit next door caused our room to be filled with smoke at 1am. To make up for the inconvenience of this we were given a tray of cookies! The main resort building is really lovely and has a great atmosphere, the restaurant is excellent. The main adult pool is lovely but the same cannot be said for the family pool were the standards were much lower, no nice comfy sun beds, dirty pool and poolside and service a bit substandard. That was a shame. The kids club was great, the activities that all cost extra were good and the spa was great. I don't think I would go back on the basis of the rooms though.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Samantha G
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback and I do truly apologize for the negative experiences during your stay. I also wanted to thank you for highlighting the good and the bad during your experience. It helps to know what we are doing well in addition to what we need to improve on. Your comments have been shared with the staff and we are looking at more effective ways to service the River Ranch pool area. Sorry to hear that you were not pleased with the size of the room. Typically we get very good marks in that department as we are the one of the only all-suite properties on the Monterey Peninsula. We would love to have the opportunity to talk to you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at mcooke@carmelvalleyranch.com so that I can arrange a convenient time and number to call you on. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

We (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed 4 night and booked a Garland Suite.
We really liked the room : privacy between kid's place and adults, comfortable bathroom, nive views.
Good location as it is 15 minutes away from Carmel Village and Monterrey
Possibility to make a lot of activities in the resort (at a "fair" cost)
Have just in mind the weather could be cold even in July
The only "negative" point is the restaurant : we just went for breakfast and it gave the impression of having too many clients (wait for 10' to get a table)

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Thank you for your great review. We specialize in families and we are glad you had the chance to experience The Ranch. As you mentioned, our large suites allow family’s to have separate, more private spaces, which is great for the whole team! Sorry to hear about the wait at the restaurant. We can be busy during the summer but we always try to accommodate people as fast as possible. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is an interesting resort where the guest lodging is interspersed with owner/member lodging. To some degree that took away from the resort feeling because you are interacting with people in their everyday life, rather than having a vibe that is purely vacation. The resort location and grounds are beautiful but as you spend some time there it feels superficial. We checked in and they told us they would have someone ready to help with our bags, but when we got to our room we had to call down and request help. The room was beautiful, large and well appointed but the walls are paper-thin so we had to listen to the family next door when we wanted to be sleeping (both morning and night). The coffee pot in the room was broken - I asked them to replace it and they made it look like it was replaced but was still broken when I went to use it (I knew it wasn't replaced because the water was still in it). The spa looks great but I had to sit and listen to another guest on their cell phone through my very expensive pedicure. Finally I found it odd that they do the family smores at the adult pool, certainly changes the relaxation vibe with lots of kids in what is supposed to be an adult area (and they do a poor job of policing the no kids in the adult pool) - if you are looking for a getaway with little kids this might be a good place, but if you are going to relax and have a holiday as an adult I would say for this price you can do much better alot of other places.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank OaklandMags

Thank you for your candid review. I would like to start by apologizing from the bottom of my heart for the issues during your stay. Rest assured that your comments have been shared with the staff and taken into consideration. We pride ourselves on our guest satisfaction and we give a great deal of weight to the feedback we receive. In fact, we are considering instituting a no cell phone policy at the Spa. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to make your next stay flawless. We would love to have the opportunity to talk to you about your experience. Please feel free to contact me directly at mcooke@carmelvalleyranch.com so that I can arrange a convenient time and number to call you on. Thank you so much.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is what a vacation resort is supposed to be like. The rooms were perfect, room service, views, kids club and pool, swings throughout the property and activities. The spa was small but wonderful. My east coast family members were a little surprised by the cold temps and fog, but it was still great. Try all the Lavendar and garden excursions when they are available.

Would spend another week there for sure,and my kids agree!

Room Tip: Corner suites are great and quiet. Look at the map as there is a lot of walking to the lodge from so...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2012

We wish it was too and thank you so much for your fantastic review! Also thank you for mentioning our lavender and garden activities. Many of these are complimentary and they are really some of the greatest things to do on property. Hope you can get up to see us again soon. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We have been visiting CVR for nearly a decade and have watched its wonderful blossoming under the new owners - the setting is gorgeous, lots of land, and the suites are all very large so great for families traveling with kids (we have 3). Their "Family Camp" theme is brilliant for attracting families and having an outstanding range of facilities and activities for adults (Lodge pool and Spa) and then for kids/families (River Ranch pool, gym and sport, tennis and bocce courts) - Nightly S'mores by the fire pit and a visit to the apiary with beekeeper John Russo are 'must do' for any visitor. In particular, we love the tennis facilities and pros at CVR, both Clark Corey and Rick Manning are just FANTASTIC, so we always make a point of enrolling the kids in either a clinic or private lessons. The kids always have a blast and improve greatly as a result of the expert instruction. Food and aesthetic at the Lodge restaurant is great - very easy breakfast there every morning and then most of our dinners as well.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are spacious, but if you have 3 kids, like we do, there are two "Carmel Suites...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

I want to sincerely thank you for your kind words and continued patronage. Where do I start? We really appreciate you mentioning how well rounded the resort is. We pride ourselves on having the ability to cater to multiple groups of people. I will also share your comments with Clark and Rick personally. I am sure they will be thrilled! See you again soon. My best, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmel
12.3 km away
12.2 km away
L'Auberge Carmel
L'Auberge Carmel
#20 of 24 in Carmel

Been to Carmel Valley Ranch? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK