Carmel Valley Ranch
Carmel Bay View Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 267
US$ 418
US$ 389
US$ 517
US$ 443
Comfort Inn Carmel By The Sea(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 256
ComfortInn
La Playa Carmel(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 393
  • Pool
Quail Lodge & Golf Club(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 293
Official Website
Normandy Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 242
Official Website
Carmel River Inn(Carmel)(Great Value!)
US$ 224
US$ 193
Travelocity
US$ 452
1,615 results
All reviewsgolf coursegarland suitefamily poolcarmel valleywild turkeysorganic gardenadult poollodge restaurantinfinity hot tubbee keepinglavender fieldsfitness classesgreat resortspa treatmentsthe main lodgehiking trailsoak trees
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I stay at hotels at least monthly and have for a few years. From beginning to end, this resort impressed me beyond all others. When you arrive you are greeted at the security gate. After they confirm you are a guest, you are passed through and they call up to the front desk to announce your arrival. Every single person for my entire three night stay went above and beyond to be sure that there was nothing else they could do to make my stay better. The rooms are arranged almost condo style. In sets of four-plexes.

The rooms themselves are suites. You walk into a very nice living room with a couch, chairs, desk, flat screen tv, coffee service and snack pack. (Snack pack was Sun Chips, granola bars and apples. I do not believe this is restocked during the stay.) There is also bottled water that is free of charge and restocked daily. The bathroom was beautiful. Large tub and separate large shower. Amenities are awesome and restocked every couple of days. Two bottles of water in the bathroom as well and are restocked daily. Nice robes are provided. My bedroom had two full beds. Very comfortable with reading lights at each side of both headboards. The bedrooms have electric start fireplaces and flat screen tvs. (My fireplace started right up. I set it to turn off after 30 minutes, but that didn’t seem to function correctly.) The bed was very comfortable. Silly as it sounds, one of my favorite things was the throw blanket at the bottom of the bed. It screams naps time! Wonderful decks with furniture to sit on provide great views right off the bedrooms.

The resort will shuttle you from different areas of the resort. The drivers arrived quickly and were very friendly. Although I didn’t eat at the restaurant, all of our meals for the three days were catered by the resort. The food was absolutely incredible!! So hard not to over eat! Catering staff was terrific. They turn on fire places outside around the main building at night. It was great to sit outside and enjoy a glass of wine fireside. They have smore time in the evenings as well. How fun is that?!

Would I go back? I sure hope so!

Oh...to be fair. It was oakworm season. I guess this happens in the area every few years. There were caterpillar type critters ALL OVER! The staff worked very hard to keep them at bay, but the resort is surrounded by oak trees. Not a big deal really.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank lovingsonoma
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for your spectacular and extremely thorough review! It’s great to know that our staff is scoring high marks with a seasoned traveler like yourself. We look forward to your next stay. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed 28 May 2012

We planned to spend a few days at Carmel Valley Ranch as part of a trip from LA to San Francisco. We were looking forward to a few days of relaxing and playing golf. The photos on the hotel website are beautiful and we were expecting a laid experience at a place with a little bit of luxury but not too fussy.

Our stay started out great. They had champagne and strawberries waiting for us in recognition of our wedding anniversary. Thank you! Our room was nice - but nothing special. (note - the bathroom floor is stone and was freezing cold! Ordinarily this is not something that I would write about - but these are the kinds of details that you would expect to be addressed at a place of this caliber.) We played golf for 2 days and enjoyed the course. It is short (not too many par 5s) but fun and very scenic. The golf course staff were friendly and nice. I wish we could have said the same for the other guests - but they were rude and snooty. We definitely did not feel welcome and debated about playing a second day vs going to another course. Perhaps it is a generational issue (we're in our 40's and everyone else playing seemed to be retirees).

We also had an odd experience grabbing lunch after golf the first day. They were power-washing the patio and no one could be bothered to let us know when we walked in, or point out a place where we could eat without having the noise and spray interfere with our lunch, etc. I understand these things happen and maintenance is a part of the day-to-day - but it just felt weird. We moved our seat twice because we didn't know what was happening, where they were going to wash next, etc. A simple "welcome, glad you're here, you may want to sit down by the pool until we are finished cleaning the patio" would have been sufficient.

Maybe we'd come back to play the course, but I don't think we'd return to stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vacagirl
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Thank you for your review. At Carmel Valley Ranch we take guest satisfaction very seriously. Please accept my sincere apologies about the pressure washing. The staff should have informed you of what was happening. We usually alert our guests to routine maintenance on the property, particularly if they will be affected by our actions. This clearly did not happen in this case and I apologize. Rest assured that I have shared your comments with our team here at The Ranch. We look forward to making your next stay flawless.

Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and I sadly left on Tuesday morning after a lovely weekend of hiking, eating, hiking, eating, bee keeping, exercise classes, eating, and more hiking…and ok, eating more s’mores than we should have!

Our final day summed up our trip…a beautiful hike recommended to us by your concierge, with a delicious picnic lunch also recommended by your team, a massage with Bridget (that will become my new benchmark for massages), a fabulous dinner poolside plus s’mores topped off with a soak in the infinity hot tub…with the grand finale sitting by the fire wrapped up in a towel.  I fell asleep there…and I sometimes can’t fall asleep in my own bed!

Our bag was lost courtesy of Delta and your team showed such concern and empathy.  They helped us find a place where we could shop (other than at an expensive Carmel boutique) and asked us each time they saw us if we had received our bag.

The property is incredibly special and you keep your guests well hidden so we felt like we had the run of the place…even on a very busy weekend.

We want to come back and hope we can do that soon!   Please thank your team – reception, concierge, housekeeping, servers, hosts, bartenders and your very helpful valet/bell staff who helped us back to our room after too many s’mores.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beaner02
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed at Carmel Valley Ranch in April and had a wonderful time. The king suites are spacious with amazing views if the valley. I loved the feel of this property: lots of trails to roam, deer grazing throughout the property, and wild turkeys walking around.
The restaurant and pool area are nicely appointed and everything was good that I had in the restaurant. Service was top knotch, unobtrusive yet attentive.
We had the opportunity to take a beekeeping workshop on site and found it to be one of the highlights of the trip. I loved getting an understanding of the bee world and the opportunity to interact with the hives, in full beekeeping attire! I would recommend this resort to anyone in the Carmel area who wants a little more solitude for their hotel stay. It's about 10-15 minutes drive to Carmel by the sea, so close enough to enjoy the beach. But far enough removed to really enjoy the serenity and nature that the valley has to offer.

Room Tip: This is a family friendly resort, so expect to see some kids around. Resort is dog friendly. :-)
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blackcat1972
831-625-9500, Manager at Carmel Valley Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

We appreciate your taking the time to write this review. The Ranch in Spring can be a magical place and we are glad you got a chance to experience it. Thank you for highlighting our service, your comments were very well received when I shared them with our staff. We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Checked in back in December with my wife and two kids. It can be a rough drive coming from San Francisco given the slowness of the road, but it is pretty senic. Arrived at 2 in the morning and they were waiting and got me checked in in under 5 minuts, which was key given the two sleeping kids in the car. Rooms have a great view of the area and are large when you take their larger options. Our room had a separate living and sleeping area, each with their own fireplace. Daily smores was a plus for the kids. They also have a small playground that is good for little kids. Just make sure you have the car handy as some areas can be a hike from your room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind words. We were glad you and your family enjoyed your experience at The Ranch. The size of the rooms on our all suite property is really something special. Remember, relaxation is just a couple hours away! We look forward to your next visit. Sincerely, Melanie Cooke, Director of Revenue Management