“Consistently Good”
Review of Rio Grill

Rio Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Rio Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 161 Restaurants in Carmel
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 35
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Road
Transit: Public Transit is just a few yards from the restaurant.
Description: Rio Grill, located in the Crossroads in Carmel, has been the place to meet friends, enjoy tasty, flavorful food and relax with a refreshing cocktail or glass of wine for over 28 Years. Chef Yontz' creative American dishes are some of the most flavorful, colorful and vibrant on the Monterey Peninsula and celebrate flavor in every mouthwatering bite! In addition to the main dining room, Rio Grill has a comfortable lounge and full bar serving refreshing libations including the restaurant's famous "Rio Rita." The bar is lined with colorful caricatures of local faces and celebrities. Rio Grill's award-winning wine list features more than 160 labels featuring a ton of local wineries and an extensive selection available by the glass. For more information on Rio Grill, please visit our website at riogrillcom. The restaurant opens for lunch every day at 11:30 and serves straight through until 9:30 PM. Rio also serves a great brunch on Sundays from 11:30 - 3:00PM. Happy Hour Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:30 and Sunday 4:00-6:30.
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I always enjoy going to Rio Grill. It's always busy (but not loud) and the food is super consistent. While I have tried many items over the years, the best dish is the beet salad and the shrimp penne pasta. It is probably the only place where I always order the same thing, bc I know it is their best item (the penne pasta). And people who don't order what I suggest, usually end up eating off my plate! They have good cocktails and a friendly bar. The hostess has been there forever--very nice. And what house in Carmel can be called a home without a Rio Grill matchbox? I mean really. LOL.

Rio O, Manager at Rio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

We're happy to hear you've been dining with us for years and always enjoy ordering the beet salad and penne pasta! We appreciate your patronage and look forward to your next visit, thanks for the nice review!

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

A limited lunch menu but with something for everyone - rump skirt was moist and delicious, salmon with pumpkin seeds wonderful, burger a generous size and very tasty, pork belly sliders very different and excellent.
Service was very welcoming and friendly.
Brilliant place!

Rio O, Manager at Rio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Thank you for the nice review! We're so happy you felt welcomed by our friendly staff and had some wonderful food too! We hope to see you again sometime!

Reviewed 16 July 2017

Been coming here for many years and the potato skins,apple bread pudding and artichokes are all outstanding .Friendly service and comfortable environment.

Rio O, Manager at Rio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

It's so great to hear you've been dining with us for years and have friendly service and outstanding food on your visits! We appreciate your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back, thanks for the review!

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Recommended to us by a local as a place where locals go, we walked in without reservations and were seated immediately. All who entered seem to know the hostess. We had the the deviled eggs and artichoke as appetizers and both were great. My wife ordered the flank steak which came with wonderful sweet potatoes seasoned with coriander cream. She was pleased. My southwestern paella was seasoned and very tasty. A Joullian Zinfandel complimented both dishes. We will definitely be going back. Our waiter, Jack, provided superb service.

Rio O, Manager at Rio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

It's so great to hear you both enjoyed wonderful meals and superb service from Jack! The Joullian Zinfandel is a nice choice! We look forward to your next visit, thanks for the review!

Reviewed 10 July 2017

This restaurant was recommended by a friend and checked rating and decided to have lunch here. My husband and I shared the quesadillas and they were blah and very small portion. We are from Texas and expect food that is worth the money. My sister had the spinach salad and had them add arugula and it literally may have had a cup of greens with a few added pecans and beets and a wee bit of blue cheese for $11.50! Come on. We were in California expecting deliciously fresh salad and we were served a kids size portion. We were so disappointed that we wasted eating a meal at Rio Grill when there are so many other options. Did not like the location either. We all preferred to ambiance of the stroll of Carmel by the Sea and there were plenty of great restaurants we missed. Sometimes friends taste are different and obviously we trusted her judgement. Next time I will pay more attention to my instinct. I knew when I walked into Rio Grill, the atmosphere was not what I wanted.

Rio O, Manager at Rio Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

We're very sorry about the disappointing lunch with us. We value our guests feedback as we look into all the reviews we receive to see where we can improve. We apologize the portions were too small and our atmosphere wasn't what you were expecting, we missed the mark with you and hope you'd consider giving us another try for a better time in the future. Thank you for sharing your review.