“Susie's Carmel Inn - Value for money”

Carmel Inn & Suites
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Carmel
San Francisco, California, United States
“Susie's Carmel Inn - Value for money”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The location of the Inn is quite great and the climate actually over there is too cold. I saw in the review that people were complaining about the ACs. Actually ACs are not required there at all. Compared to the other hotels, the price is reasonable. Also, you get nice breakfast as well.

Room Tip: Recommend people to go there as the other places around Carmel are quite expensive.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
bayarea
Reviewed 21 January 2012

If you wait until 1 or 2 weeks before stay they offer good discounts which makes it worth it. If you book more than 1 room and want to pay separately be careful. Even if you tell him upfront they will still charge the one card and then it has to be reversed and only one person is apparently allowed to do this. And it will credit 13 days later.

• Stayed December 2011
ciasca, Guest Relations Manager at Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
We are extremely sorry for your situation and be assured that is not our normal procedure. During that time we were organizing our staff and only managers and supervisors have access to make any necessary changes fast. Unfortunately they were unavailable to the property at that time.
Roswell, Georgia
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My husband and I recently stayed one night, at the Carmel Inn & Suites, Carmel, CA, and it was absolutely the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel.

We checked in about 6:00 p.m. It was 80 degrees in our room which was located on the top story of the inn; I went to turn on the air conditioning, I discovered that there was NO air conditioning. I called the front desk to inquire about the air conditioning, and I was told that “none of the hotels in Carmel have air conditioning”; I then asked for a fan, but never received one. To cool off the room, we opened all the windows and we had to leave them open; Carmel was having an unusual heat wave that weekend and it was still too warm to sleep. Additionally, the inn fronts a road which we discovered was the main TRUCK ROUTE thru town. Large trucks came rumbling by all night, and as there was also a Porsche show in town that weekend; Porsche owners were racing their cars down the street. Since we had the windows open, we could hear all the road noise and the noise from the open air patio areas of the restaurants and bars across the street as well. I finally was able to drift off about at about 4:00 or 5:00 a.m., but was soon awakened by what sounded to be a cat fight outside our window. It was two raccoons fighting in the garden area above the swimming pool! I told my husband that was it for me; I was not staying another night. Our original Carmel Inn & Suites reservations were for two nights. Upon check out the next morning, I was willing to pay for the one miserable night, but the desk clerk informed me that Carmel Inn & Suites needed 72 hours to cancel the second night, and he told me this after I had described all the events of the previous evening! He then told tell me that I would be charged a $60 cancellation fee, and I told him that he could go ahead and charge the $60, but I would dispute the cancellation fee. When I received my credit card statement, it showed that Carmel Inn & Suites had charged me full price for BOTH nights.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Dillie M
ciasca, Public Relations Manager at Carmel Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 26 January 2012
Thank you for your review. As you know the reservation was pre-paid through the third party and the hotel only uses the guest card for incidentals. We are sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We always thrive to do our best to make the comfortable stay at a reasonable price. The hotel has no such ad that mentions about the air conditioning in any room. The weather is always unpredictable and we do hardly get any high temperatures once in a while. We suggest you might have requested another room or an updgrade and that would not be difficult. We hope that you will consider staying with us again and please contact us directly to be well taken care of.

Travellers are raving about these Carmel hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 4 January 2012

This was our third stay at the Carmel Inn & Suites. It has pretty much become our go-to place in Carmel for family trips.

Carmel is obviously an expensive destination, but this place is quite reasonably priced. Travelling with my wife and daughter, we've taken a suite each time that has a living room with a daybed for my daughter to sleep on, along with a separate bedroom with king-sized bed. We have generally paid between $100 and $150 for these accomodations, depending on the season. The living room and bedrom each has its own wall-mounted gas heater with individual thermostats--a nice feature on chilly, foggy Carmel winter evenings. The rooms are nicely decorated (though a little more frilly and feminine that most of us guys would prefer). The staff is friendly and accomodating. There is a small swimming pool, but unfortunately no hot tub/jacuzzi. The location is great--only two blocks off of Ocean Avenue, and only a block or two from many of Carmel's best restaurants.

I really have only one complaint about the place, and that's that the walls and floors seem a little thin, and guests in other rooms can be heard. The first time this happened, I thought it was just that the neighbors in the next room were loud (and they WERE, and also quite rude), but the last time we stayed we heard noises from the room next door (shouting kids and loud adult voices) and the room above us (the footsteps were so loud it sounded like they must've been wearing ski boots). Again, maybe it was just that these were particularly loud neighbors, but in the middle of the night I also even heard a guest SNORING in some other room, which would suggest the walls are a little too thin unless he happened to be an EXTREMELY loud snorer!

That aside, this is a very good place to stay, at a reasonable rate and in a good location. There's a reason we've returned in the past, and we undoubtedly will again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank cyberluddite
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I reserved a on-redundable room directly from the hotel the day before my arrival. When I checked in the next day I was assigned the worse room. It was a oblong room facing the back of the hotel with a view of the building direcly behind the hotel. The heater was a stand alone unit not big enough to adequately heatt he room. I immediately went back and talked to the owner. I told him I was not satisfied with the room and adked if there was another room available. I told the owner why I did not like the room because it was to samall and had a bad location. He said ,"you are a single person and the room is big enough for you" He further said that were no other rooms available. I do not appreciate the bait and switch.

Room Tip: Do mmot go here.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Richard B
That particular room is the smallest queen room we have at the inn. But it does measure 12'x30' and it is a rectangular shape. The advantage is it offers the lowest rate guaranteed. We always suggest to our guest to visit our website and book directly. If you do choose the third party due to the frequent points than we suggest getting a king or suite room.