“amazing property, relax, spacious rooms”

Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 21 April 2012

my boyfriend and I just returned from short vacation at the Sheraton resort and would highly recommend this destination! beautiful, new and clean property with quiet specious rooms, with mini balconies. Staff was very responsive to all of our inquiries througout the stay. Besides Legoland nearby, there is many golf courses in the area, running/hiking trails for a quick work out. Staff at the restaurant was excellent as well. We can't wait for our next getaway at this property.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KM_1524
mlconner, Manager at Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Thank you for the review! We are glad you and your boyfriend had a relaxing time while visiting Carlsbad. We hope to have you back soon.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

This is a business hotel that seems to have found itself next to Legoland, but hasn’t really accepted that it should do anything to be kid-friendly. I’ve stayed at many nice hotels lately that still have great kid things: rooms that comfortably sleep three kids (our last hotel had a brilliant bunk bed/trundle combo in a bunch of rooms); little toys or coloring books at check-in; parking close to rooms; night lights in the bathrooms; playrooms off the hotel restaurant where kids can relax while their parents are finishing dinner. This hotel did absolutely nothing – you would have had no idea they were close to a theme park, yet many, many families with small children were staying there while we were. And there was close parking to our room, but it was all reserved for the valets, despite all of the spaces being empty. Twenty/20 had great menus, but the food didn’t measure up to the descriptions, and the kids food was, well, not good. It sure looked like Kraft Mac and Cheese and a boxed pizza. Really, they can’t cook fresh food for kids? And the automatic doors to building 2 didn’t work – not a huge deal, but it sure makes entering the building with a stroller easier. If I was handicapped I would have been really annoyed.

The best two kids channels, Disney and NickJr, are nowhere to be found on the television lineup.

When I checked in I requested a crib. I was told it would be delivered shortly. When I called the front desk several hours later to check on its status, they seemed genuinely surprised to find out that there had been a request. Nice. 10 minutes later, though, it was delivered by a very nice person from housekeeping.

I had booked the breakfast package but it didn’t seem like the $30 vouchers were correctly booked to the bills? It sure seemed like they used those to cover one adult meal and one kid meal, despite the intention of covering two adult breakfasts. But they don’t itemize it so you can’t really tell how they applied it. I didn’t complain, but it seemed a deceptive to me.

The good: the hotel is nice, our room was nice, the internet is good and it is close to Legoland. Just not sure that I would stay here again with kids given that they don’t seem to really want kids to stay here. And as others have mentioned the add-on charges are annoying. I’m used to a Resort Fee including parking. Nope, not here. $12/day for the resort fee and $12/day for self-parking. Just add that into the room rates already and don’t nickel and dime at check-out – is that so hard?

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank TravelBabbo

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with the hotel. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal for our guests to have an amazing time while here on property. We do have daily children activities in the morning and in the evening during spring break and summer. In addition we have a ping pong table, foosball table and a pool table for our families to enjoy. I have shard your comments with our culinary team and will review our options that are available for children. Again I thank you for your time and hope that we have an opportunity to change your opinion of the Sheraton Carlsbad.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

We booked a package 2-night plus Lego land access through a joint promotion between Lego land and the Sheraton. Not only was the park closed for half the trip despite a schedule that says the water park is open daily beginning in March, 2012, but the manager of the hotel on call on Tuesday morning (4/17) could not have cared less. Putting aside the joint promotion that this manager proclaimed no reaponsibility for, but the guy had two kids in tears in front of him and could not have cared less. Not even an ice cream cone to make them stop crying -- and not even a pretence that he cared, much less was going to do anything about it. In short, the Sheraton package is a total fraud and the management only cares about a money grab. Go to any other Lego land and stay with anyone else. Sheraton Carlsbad is a shady operation run by management with, at minimum, poor ethics.

Room Tip: A room at any other hotel.
Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank jkass

Thank you for taking the time to express your frustrations, it is through our guest feedback that we are able to identify areas that we need to improve upon. I have shared your concerns with our leadership team and our ambassadors and am working with our on-line reservations systems to make the hours of LEGOLAND more accessible for those that are booking on line. We are also adding the hours of operations to our conformation e-mails to help ensure that families are aware that the parks are closed on Tuesday and Wednesday during the winter season. We do want to provide excellent customer service to all of our guest. This is not something we take lightly and will continue to improve upon our resort.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Nice quiet rooms and comfortable beds, and close to Legoland, but not much else. The staff is fine, but not as detail-oriented as at other hotels in this price range. Breakfast service at the resturant was painfully slow if you ordered off the menu. They definitely charge a premium for their proximity to Legoland, but sometimes that's what you want.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa. I have shared your concerns with our Restaurant team and we are looking for a more quick and efficient way to accommodate our guests for breakfast. We appreciate the feedback as it allows us to look at our operation and see what needs to be changed based on our guest needs. We hope to have you and the family back at the hotel to experience what the Sheraton Carlsbad is all about.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I've stayed here a few times over the past six months. The rooms are quite large and I believe all of them offer a balcony. The rooms are quiet with very comfortable beds, and I didn't hear a single neighbor during any of my stays.
Service was excellent in the hotel; although their restaraunt 20/20 could use some improvements with their service, but even more so the quality of the food. Be prepeared for some additional fees for parking and wifi; however I didn't find these charges to be out of the norm.
Thanks for a great stay and I will definitely be back whenever business takes me to Carlsbad.

Room Tip: Personally, I prefer to be a bit closer to the lobby so I request building one with a higher floor i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your loyalty to the Sheraton Carlsbad. We are please that we are your destination of choice. Next time you are here on property please ask for me Megan Conner. I would love to have the opportunity to hear your feedback on the restaurant.
All the Best,