“Grand Pacific Palisades Resort”

Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. Our flight was changed and we arrived earlier than anticipated. We were allowed to check into our room prior to the scheduled time. We enjoyed the Karl Strauss restaurant and the food was very good. We exchanged our time-share week to stay here. The unit was clean but could use a little updating. We took advantage of a couple of tours that were offered allowing us to see various destinations without having to drive ourselves. The grounds are very well kept. We enjoyed sitting out on the benches overlooking the flower fields and having the ocean in view.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cheryl R

Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I spent 3 nights here and enjoyed the time, but found the room to be poor to average. The room needed a refresh, including kitchen flooring and cabinets and furniture. The room was clean and the grounds nice with a good view of the Flower Fields. We had an ocean view but it was about a half mile away. Finally, the had a posted "Shoes required" in the lobby. I'm on vacation and like to go barefoot; I didn't feel invited. We won't be back.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank DrDougB57
Reviewed 20 April 2012

we stayed at the hotel portion of the property and were initially very happy with the room but on the second day we returned to our room at 4:30pm and found that the room had not been cleaned my husband found a maid to come in an clean it and they did a poor job, not empty the trash can, etc the hallway was also covered with litter that needed a good vacuuming that should have been quite obvious when you see this, you have to wonder what else they are missing on the better side, the hotel is in an ideal location with views of the ocean and flower fields, near the premium outlet mall with all high end stores with a costco across the way you are near the I-5 so can drive down to san diego to sea world, san diego zoo, wild animal park, and legoland just next door

Room Tip: you want to face the ocean, pool, or flower fields
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brittGlendora_Ca
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is definatly a family resort. I stayed for 4 nights in a 1 bedroom villa. When we first arrived, we were immediatly greeted by the front desk. I was a little upset when I found out that we wouldn't have a view of the ocean, but the gal checking me in assured my family and I that we would enjoy my time at the resort... AND WE DID. The room was so clean and well stocked that I didn't miss the ocean view at all (even though it would have been nice because it rained while we were there). There was a pathway that went arround the property where you could see the ocean and flower fields. Plus there are alot of bunnies running around. My son said it was like a disney book.

The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home! My son slept on the couch bed (I think it is a queen sized) and he actually found it soft and cozy. The couch is a little on the older side, but it was suprisingly clean and well maintained. I had a problem with my toaster the first morning, but they brought me a new one in less than 30 minutes! They even called to see if I needed anything else. I have never felt so welcome at a hotel before.

The Palisade is definatly for families with kids. I loved that I could just walk out my front door and within seconds I could take advantage of the family pool, which was heated! They have several activities every day, and even a room that had free ping pong and air hockey. The walk to Legoland took about 5 minutes, but there was a crosswalk that we were able to use. It started raining half way through our first day at legoland, so we were able to use the free shuttle on the way back to the resort. We used the shuttle 1 other time while we were stayng. It only runs to 7PM, but it took us anywhere within 5 miles!!! FREE! The drivers were always so nice and talkitive.

Extra features: There were 3 rooms to do laundry in, 1 of them was right next to my unit and I never even heard the machines going. My husband used the fitness center every morning. It was small and simple, but it never got too busy. They have a 17 and older pool, which we never used, but the view from it was amazing.

We will definatly be coming back!

The staff made us feel welcome, and they were eager to take care of us! I espicially want to thank Jazmin from the front desk - She was so nice and happy, and even took the time to ask my son some questions! You could tell she liked working there (which is always a good sign). I also want to mention that Kyle from the shuttly was just as friendly.

I only ran into one unfriendly person the whole time I was there, I forgot his name but he was a taller young man at the front desk with brown hair. He seemed inexperienced. We had a few questions that he answered, but he spent the whole time looking back at the other girl working. Like we were inturrupting their conversation. That was our only complaint!

Room Tip: Take advantage of the activities schedule! I found so many fun things to do with my family on a rain...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank norcal_pat
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the resort over an extended weekend in a 2 bedroom villa which had a view of the famous flower fields along with an awesome ocean view. The villa was very clean and and had all the amenities a family would need while on vacation. The kitchen was well equipped, a full size dining room table for meals, and a DVD player was provided in the living room and master bedroom which we all took advantage of (movies can be rented at a Red Box at a convenience store nearby) in the evenings. Free WIFI was also provided at no extra charge to guests. :) I also loved that the villa had a balcony where you can sit and relax while enjoying the spectacular CA sunset over the ocean. :))

The kids took advantage of the activity center and the pool. I love that they have activities everyday that the entire family could participate in! We also took advantage of using the fitness center, which had ample work out equipment for all.

There were BBQ stations by the pool which the property does an excellent job keeping the grills clean. There is a Costco conveniently located accross the street so we picked up some steaks and chicken and had an awesome BBQ dinner!

Parking is underground and free! Legoland is also so conveniently located next door and love that they provided a free shuttle for resort guests.

Service thoughout the resort was excellent as well. We are looking forward to returning this summer for a week! :)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family