“Great motel”

Ranked #35 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Suzhou
“Great motel”
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We didn't expect much of this place, having stayed there a couple of years before it was renovated, but we were pleasantly surprised this time. Our room was beautiful, cozy and super clean. The pool was ok although noisy since it's basically next to the freeway. We liked that it's walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank travelkonijn
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I took advantage of my Choice Priviliges and stayed here for free with my family, so the value was the biggest plus. Even though I was expecting much from a hotel named the Rodeway Inn, I was taken aback from the room's quality. Being a budget motel, one cannot expect a Rolls Royce of a room, but it definitely was the upper end of the Honda Civic: comfortable bedding, granite countertops in the bathroom area, crown moulding, and cherry-finished furniture. The only problem I had in the room was the curtain above the air conditioner. The air conditioner caused the curtain to lift above the window, sacrificing the privacy of the room. Hint: roll up a towel and place it above the air conditioner against the curtain - problem solved.

The continental breakfast is basically as shown on the hotel's website; nothing more and again nothing more. The two small tables are not a sample of the eating area, but the eating area in its entirety. The breakfast consits of miniaturized danish, muffins, and crossaints and a few types of fresh fruit. There was coffee and juice offered as well. All of this stuffed into a small lobby. Nevertheless, it was clean and organized. The employees, on the other hand, seem to have a large eating area of available to themselves aft of the lobby, a place in which large amounts of curry are consumed as evidenced by the scent of the lobby.

Overall, Rodeway Inn is a great bargain motel if you are looking to make a short drive to the beach or Legoland.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank humu1
Torrance CA
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We reserved an overnight stay because of its lower-than-any-other-around price, very good location close to Carlsbad Village, reported 2008 refurbishment, and good traveler reviews. My small queen-sized room did appear recently remodeled, as did the exteriors. It had fresh and clean walls and ceiling, new-looking fixtures, counter and air conditioner, and everything worked well. It was well-lit, and had a small refrigerator and microwave ready to be plugged in (we did not use them). The bed was firm, and we slept well. Worst thing was the carpet, which provided that unpleasant "motel smell" until we got used to it. The free breakfast was minimalist, consisting of coffee, two juices, one or two kinds of fruit, and pastries that were slowly doled out as the others were taken from a small container. Altogether, I figure we got somewhat more than our money's worth, and would not hesitate to spend a night or two there, again. This is a roadside overnight type place, apparently popular with truckers, in an upscale community. You should not expect it to be a resort.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rendahl
Monrovia
Reviewed 28 May 2011

My son and I stayed there for 2 nites. I was so pleasantly surprised at the awesome location since we were going to Legoland the next day. The room was super clean, even had small fridge and also a microwave in the room. There is even a laundry room on premises, plus snack machines.

The value is amazing. Close to awesome places to eat, the beach, the outlets, and of course Legoland. There is a pool that my son had fun in too. This place has everything and its not in a busy section of Carlsbad either. Truly a needle in a haystack! Staff was very friendly too! The continental breakfast is not the best but they had hot coffee and juices which were good! We are coming back here in a few months!

Room Tip: Family Friendly and convenient
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank fashionsense
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I wanted to surprise my fiancée and ordered the Jacuzzi room. I am a Choice Hotels customer and several of their participating Hotels have rooms with a Jacuzzi in the room. We entered a room smelling of cigarettes that was from the guest next door smoking outside but the crack in the front door allowed the smoke in. Unpacking we discovered several towels damp although folded. Several spiders crawling across my hand was not so bad but no coffee-maker which in fairness did say selected rooms. I just figured paying the extra $30/night the coffee would have been in this room. The Jacuzzi was big and deep but only had 1 entrance and all of the fixtures and a sloped edge prevented easy entrance. Then we discovered no drain plug and the hotel clerk had to turn the water on. Once the water was o, we had to make a second call for the clerk to turn on the Jacuzzi jets. At check-out I was refunded $24.00 for not being able to use the Jacuzzi. I wrote a letter to Choice Hotels and heard from the Rodeway General Manager within a couple days promising me an additional 20% off of the bill. The e-mail requested I call and offer my credit card information to receive the credit. I called 3 times since the manager on duty was away. When I reached her I was placed on hold twice for several minutes. I listened to a complaint that I had received a refund but I offered that the e-mail said to call. I was denied access to the General Manager-Mr. Patel and no additional refund as indicated in the e-mail. There are other choices on that very same street and I am returning in 3 weeks staying at the Comfort Inn. Thank you.

Room Tip: Book at one of the other 3 on the same street
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wavemasher
Hyland727, General Manager at Rodeway Inn Near Legoland, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Our jacuzzi rooms are non-smoking and bug free. Guest who smoke outside are not under our control and we advised the guest to simply close the door. In addition, guest was disabled and not capable of using jacuzzi room due to lack of grab bars. We apologized to guest and offered a handicap unit which he denied. On top of this we still gave guest a partial refund but guest wanted to double dip and contacted Choice Hotels for additional refund. We did not feel this was fair to us as we offered another room and gave a discount already.