“Luckily it was just a stopover.......”

Reviewed 21 May 2012

Having read the great reviews for this property and the fact that Singapore Airlines sent me the Hilton HHonors, we decided to be here to celebrate my birthday. We wanted to check this place out before deciding to either extending our stay for more nights if the hotel is fantastic or moving out if there is nothing great. Hence, we only booked a night stay here.

Journey - The journey to the hotel is scenic. From far, the hotel appeared to be isolated which is a great hideaway.

Staff - The bellboy is certainly a person with good hospitality with warm smile. Very helpful and eager to assist upon our arrival.

Check-in staff - As the hotel is reserved in the name of my travel companion, the details of the Hilton HHonors were not capture. I handed over the card details to the check-in personnel later on the Hilton HHonors details. Apparently the card was not activated prior to my visit, hence the card could not be utilized. It was unfortunate that I was not able to call the customer service as they had left for the day. Nevertheless, I seek assistance from the check-in staff for assistance the next day.

Room upgrade - As a Hilton HHonors invitation letter, I was informed of the complimentary room upgrade. It was not offered to us and I had to ask the check-in staff. He claimed that the room which we book is the "highest" grade available, hence, there is no upgrade. I was shocked as we booked ourselves in the King Deluxe Mt Yotei. As far as we are concerned, there are Suite in the next level of room. Not sure whether the check-in staff is aware of such rooms being available in the hotel. In any case, that being my birthday eve, I did not bother to kick a fuss and wanted to get to the room immediately. It was disappointing as we thought I could celebrate my birthday in a Suite. Obviously, I wasn't happy. My facial expression was apparent on my disappointment and the check-in staff offered a bottle of wine as a replacement of the complimentary room. I was honest with him that I am picky and will only go for dessert wine as that is my preference. He could not promise me immediately but will "try". I hate this kind of feeling when I appeared to be "begging", hence, left the check-in counter with a bad impression of the hotel.

Room layout - The basin area is within the hotel open compound seen from the bed. Hence, the enclosed shower area is strictly for shower and WC only. Thought this is funny for a "high end" hotel.......

Complimentary dessert wine - Surprised!!!!! A bottle of "Stable" dessert wine from New Zealand arrived at our room. Was surprised that my wish was fulfilled. Though that being my choice, the taste was spoilt by the check-in experience resulting in a bitter dessert wine experience. I would have been more excited being upgraded into a Suite than getting this bottle of wine subsequent to "asking" and making one felt as if begging is required.

Onsen - Great experience, nothing fancy. Certainly a good place for quiet moment. No disturbance from busy crowd.

In-house dining - The steak we had for the night was great but not too fantastic. As our hotel reservation came with the dinner, our choice is obviously limited and restricted in terms of food selection. Hence, will advice you not to choose any of such combination especially if you would like to fancy special cuisine or particular in choice of food.

Breakfast - Choice of food is good. Nothing which I will brag about.

Check-out - Another surprise. The same check-in staff greeted and proceed with the check-out procedures. He informed me that the Hilton HHonor customer service could not activate my membership card as I am required to call the service center personally. In addition, he also informed me that that the membership availability has lapsed and hence, I should not be granted the member privillage. Being informed of such embarassing news first thing in the morning on my birthday has certainly allowed me to start a lousy year, beginning at the Hilton Niseko Village. Oh gosh. Apparently the card which has tied up with Singapore Airlines only be activated should the card is prompted before 31st January 2012. I wished he could have told me at the time of my check-in to avoid such embarassment. To be fair to myself, I have few hotel memberships but concentrating on 2 which I patronize all the times for obvious reasons. Having been through this experience, I will not hesitate to say that I will never ever want to be Hilton HHonor member.

With the experience I had at the initial check-in, it was obvious that no further stay extension required. We left the hotel early in the morning in search of another hotel to celebrate my birthday............ will I be back to Hilton Niseko Village in the near future? The answer is obvious.......

If the Hilton Niseko Village's managment is reading please, you may want to remind your check-in staff to smile to your customers. Their tired face made me feeling tired as well. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank a23w
Hilton_ec_TYOHI, Hotel Manager at Hilton Niseko Village, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Thank you for choosing Hilton Niseko Village for your recent vacation and
taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor..

We are very disappointed to hear of your experience during check-in with your HHonors
membership especially on your birthday. We have carefully reviewed your comments, and sincerely apologize for our lack of flexibility.

It was certainly not our intention to upset you during your stay, and we will once again review our HHonors membership enrollment and activation process in order to ensure the comfort and smooth implementation of services to all our guests. With regards to the dessert wine, we will share your experience with our relevant departments in order to improve our
communication with related areas to deliver smooth and prompt delivery of service to our guests. We truly apologize for not being able to provide the services expected, and we very much appreciate your comments as they will help us to review and identify guests' needs as well as find ways to improve upon our hospitality toward our guests.

We sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel, and wish you a pleasant day ahead.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hilton Niseko Village

Reviewed 14 May 2012

My husband and I have been coming here once a year to ski/snowboard for the last 4 years. I reviewed this hotel in 2011. This time we came at the begining of March instead of Chinese New Year to avoid the overwhelming Chinese tourist crowds, and the hotel is back to being quieter and more idyllic. Overall, they maintain a consistently good standard as to the hotel rooms--very comfortable and clean. Hotel staff is very nice and friendly. There are fun activities including traditional drum performances in the lobby bar in the evening twice a week.

My only negative experience this time was that at the onsen, there were sometimes boys there. Women sometimes brought in their little boys. I know there are people who feel little children are ok, but I did feel uncomfortable being nude around boys, so I always waited till the boys leave before using the onsen.

The biggest changes are the restaurants. Back in 2011 their Western restaurant Melt had a great reasonably priced option for a salad buffet (so you can opt out of the hot food servings). Now you can only do their full-on buffet at a higher full-on buffet price. The quality of the salad buffet has gone downhill, but they added an all-u-can-eat grill meat and seafood component, so it may be a bonus for you if you like grilled meat. It is however, no longer a good deal for vegetarians like me. The plus side is that their Japanese restaurant Sisam now has a full vegetarian menu, which was a pleasant surprise. Back in 2011 Sisam's food quality was mediocre, but this year it has improved and the food tasted pretty good. In both years, Sisam's service staff has problems handling a full seating. Whenever the restaurant is busy the wait staff will become overwhelmed and forget things, and simply can't handle servicing all the guests. But since this time we were not there when the restaurant was packed with Chinese holiday tourists, half the time we got decent service (until the day the Airlines Ski/Snowboard competition crowd showed up and the Sisam wait staff was overwhelmed again). We dined in Pirka and also Rera as well, and the food quality and service in both are still great. We also ventured out to dine in town one night and the Hilton concierge was super helpful in assisting with making reservations.

Finally, I have to give the hotel a thumbs up for meeting my special request for a vegetarian ramen. I love ramen noodle soup but it is near impossible to order a vegetarian version in Japan. I asked the front desk if the hotel kitchen can make one for me during my stay. They checked with the chef, and although the chef had to make some special arrangement, I got my vegetarian ramen served at Sisam one night. It was very delicious, and while some foodies purists might say it's not authentic without the pork bone soup and charsiu, I was absolutely delighted to taste authentic ramen noodles again, and in the ski mountain a hot bowl of soup is such amazing comfort food. It is so nice when the hotel actually is willing to provide guests something not in the ordinary. This is the kind of details that separates the 5 star hotels from the rest.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank probativev
Hilton_ec_TYOHI, Hotel Manager at Hilton Niseko Village, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you very much for your continued visits to Hilton Niseko Village for your ski holiday and taking the time to share your experience through Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and your kind words regarding the overall food and service are welcomed and your comments have been shared with all of our team members and it is an encouragement to us all.
The Onsen experience in Japanese culture is to be one of serenity, is very popular with our guests and should be a place of serenity. I apologize if this was not the case.
Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcome you back to Hilton Niseko Village in upcoming winter.

Kind regards from arguably the snowiest ski resort on the planet...

Reviewed 28 April 2012

A good experience skiing in Niseko. Snow is great even in April. The gondola station is basically in front of a secondary entrance of the hotel. Right where the ski rental shop is: you can rent everything there (from gloves to boots, trousers, skis and even freestyle skis). You will pay for that, obviously.

The hotel is kind of a city business style hotel. the kind you would not expect in a ski resort. We missed a bit the presence of entertainment or kids activities. on the other hand 2 things are cool and should be tried: an aperitif of sandwich lunch in the main lounge (there's a piano but no piano player) and the beautiful onsen. we tried the outdoor one and it is a lovely experience in 42C water by a lake and surrounded by snow covered trees.

Restaurants are not exciting and some were closed as we were approaching the end of the season. Probably better in Feb or March. Breakfast is indeed very good however!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AE C
Hilton_ec_TYOHI, Hotel Manager at Hilton Niseko Village, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for choosing Hilton Niseko Village for your recent visit to Niseko and taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the convenience of our ski in, ski out facilities and I appreciate your kind words about our breakfast buffets.
I have noted your comments on kids activities and restaurants. We are reviewing how we may improve this in the future.
Once again, thank you and I do hope you are planning another visit and we look forward to welcome you back to arguably the snowiest ski resort on the planet.

With best regards,
Tomoyuki Yamanobe – Hotel Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at Hilton Niseko for 2 nights in early Apr 2012, just days before they closed the Niseko Village Ski Resort, but we still had plenty of snow, especially high up on the mountain.

The rooms were relatively large in size for Japan, even for the most basic rooms available (Twin Hilton Room). Plenty of space in the room for your luggage and ski/snowboarding gear. The bathroom is a bit small, but functional. The sink it not inside the bathroom, which can be a bit strange at first, but we found it to be useful later (one person could be using the bathroom while the other person was using the sink outside). The beds were comfortable, which is expected of a Hilton property. But overall the rooms look slightly dated and could use an upgrade in the near future.

The staff are polite but with not all of them have a good command of English, but they understand enough to get by. Service is generally on the slow side, but they are friendly and approachable.

The buffet breakfast offered is of slightly above average quality and has a wide variety of breakfast items catered to Western/Asian tastes. Best to load up on carbohydrates before a day of skiing/snowboarding.

During our stay, some lifts were not operating and the hotel provided complimentary viewing of the pay per view movie channels. This is quite a nice touch as there is really nothing much you can do on a windy day in Niseko apart from venturing out to Hirafu.

As the hotel location is slightly secluded, you should stock up on drinks/snacks at the stores in Hirafu or there is a small convenience store at the lobby of the hotel. This is the cheaper option than having to pay for drinks at the bar in the hotel.

Overall, this is a good choice to stay in Niseko if you don't mind the slightly inconvenient location. With the lifts and gondola right at your door step, this is a huge advantage as it's probably the main reason you would come to Niseko in the first place! Max out your time on the slopes!

Some pros and cons:

Pros
- There is a ski rental shop and ski school right next to the hotel where you can rent all your gear and organise lessons (if needed). The prices are stated on the "White Guide 2011 - 2012" (found on the Hilton Niseko Village website) for the ski passes, rentals, and lessons. I'm sure there will be an updated link for the winter 2012 - 2013 season later this year. The rentals and lessons are slightly more expensive than what you would be charge in other shops in Hirafu. We were worried about the English proficiency of the instructors, but our instructor had a good command of English and we had no problems communicating with him.

- The gondola and lifts up the mountain are located right outside the hotel, so it's super convenient. If you ride right up to the top of the mountain, you can actually choose the correct path and make your way down to Hirafu/Annupuri. At the end of the day, you can leave your skis/snowboards & boots with the concierge at the lobby of the hotel. They will give you a tag which you hand back to them the following morning to retrieve your gear.

- The outdoor onsen is quite large and very relaxing after a day of skiing/snowboarding. The male and female sections of the outdoor onsen are right next to each other but separated by a wooden partition. In case you have not been to an onsen before, you need to take a shower and scrub yourself clean prior to jumping into the onsen (obvious hygiene reasons). No clothing of any kind is allowed in the onsen, only a small towel is allowed (which is used to dip into the onsen and place on top of your head). The onsen is opened early till late so you can go anytime to avoid the crowds (if any). You can ask the reception for towels before you enter the onsen area.

- They have a small kid's area at the lobby with a tv showing cartoons with children size chairs. Quite a nice touch.

Cons
- Location is a bit secluded so if you don't want to pay the higher prices charged by the hotel restaurants, you have to rely on the free hotel shuttle to Hirafu (takes approx 15mins) where all the restaurants are located. Or else you can rent your own car. Note that late in the season, the frequency of the free hotel shuttle buses is reduced, so get the free hotel shuttle bus schedule from the reception and plan your evening activities beforehand.

- There is no free wifi in the hotel rooms, only in the hotel lobby and in the restaurants. This is not a huge problem as you can hang around the lobby (quite large and plenty of sofas) to go online. They do have a LAN cable in the rooms, but this is only useful if you brought your own computer and not just using your mobile phone/iPad to go online. They also provide 3 desk top computers for the guests in the lobby, which maybe useful.

- The hairdryer in the room is very weak and if you have long hair, it will take ages to properly dry your hair. Advice to those who need a strong hair dryer, bring your own. Also, housekeeping don't seem to clean the hair dryer, it's very dusty (I didn't use it).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Adrina
Hilton_ec_TYOHI, Hotel Manager at Hilton Niseko Village, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Adrina,

I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy the Resort and the convenience of ski in / ski out facilities.
I appreciate your feedback on the room refurbishment; please note all of our deluxe rooms have been refurbished along with the lobby and restaurants and your comments on our Beverage pricing, we take your comments to heart and I shall discuss our menus with our team.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed in Hilton Niseko in Feb 2012 over Chinese New Year. It was our first stay in Hilton Niseko. Our second trip to Niseko. At first, I was worried about the hotel being part of a big chain, that the hotel would be overly crowded, super busy, lack of personal service ...etc.

However, after reading the reviews, I decided to try it out. My kids 8 and 6 years old book the ski school private lessons as well. Throughout the whole reservations process and booking the lessons and transportation from Sapporo to Niseko, all was handled quickly by emails, and was efficiently replied each time. We got a better rate from Hilton directly for a private van picking us up from Sapporo Aspen hotel to Hilton Niseko than Skybus. We used Skybus last time for our group of 8, this time for my husband, myself, my brother in law and two kids, we got a van as well and was much cheaper than Skybus.

Check in was super easy, got all my requests such as non smoking, high floor, adjacent rooms.
Rooms are good size, excellent layout that the sink is outside of the shower and toilet. Convenient. We got half board package, it was good. We had different choice for dinners each night. We enjoyed the Japanese restaurant very much. The set dinners were very good and high in quality and value.

Breakfast buffet was good as well, lots of variety.

Housekeeping is discrete and very thorough. Very clean rooms.
The hotel is excellent because it's truly ski in and ski out, with my kids having private lessons throughout the 4 days, it was so much easier than staying in Hirafu's boutique hotels like last time.

We booked this hotel again already for this upcoming winter, looking very forward to it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Katetam

Dear Katetam,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Niseko Village for your recent ski holiday and taking the time to share your experience through Tripadvisor.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the stay and the convenience of our Ski Valet facility and I appreciate your kind words about your check-in experience and it is an encouragement to us all.

We look forward to welcome you back to Hilton Niseko Village in upcoming winter.

Kind regards from arguably the snowiest ski resort on the planet...

Hilton Niseko Village

Also consider these accommodations in or near Niseko-cho
Toyako Onsen
One Niseko Resort Towers
One Niseko Resort Towers
#4 of 11 in Niseko-cho
Niseko Northern Resort An'nupuri

Been to Hilton Niseko Village? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK