“Should have stayed in Yountville”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Cleveland
“Should have stayed in Yountville”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband and I were staying in the Napa area for a week and decided to spend 4 days in Yountville and 3 days in Calistoga. We thought it would be fun to stay in the different areas to get a different feel of everything. Our stay in Yountville at the Villagio was perfect and amazing, great free breakfast and walking distance to fabulous restaurants. The pictures of Solage looked great and the reviews were good, but this hotel just wasn’t for us. I felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. The hotel was clean and very the pools were and large. The $10 Spatini’s were not worth it and the spa which is rated so high was by far not the best spa I have ever been to or even in the top 5. The mud, the water and the rest spa experience that they offer was much overpriced and all done on your own. The spa was 10 times nicer at Villagio and I didn’t even get a service but used their sauna and was treated with more respect than at Solage where I paid $200 for services. The service was very stuffy and uptight. The $40 breakfast was horrible, 2 pieces of mushy French toast for $15 was a big disappointment. If it was good I would not mind paying the prices, but when you pay that much for breakfast it better be good. We canceled our dinner reservations that day to Sol Bar and went to Jo Le instead and were very happy that we did that. We needed to get out of that hotel. If I was able to cancel after we checked-in I would have, but it was already paid for and I would have lost my money. I would suggest staying in Yountville and making the drive to Calistoga for the wineries nearby, it’s only about a 20 minute drive and you’re much closer to better restaurants and more to do.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Isabella091108
Richard H, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Thank you for your recent visit to Solage. I genuinely appreciate you taking your valuable time to share your experience. We continually strive to enhance our service standards; your feedback plays a critical role in that process.

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experiences at Spa Solage and Solbar. I have shared your comments and suggestions with my leadership team and together we have created solutions to ensure that you and future guests will not encounter the same challenges again.

It is my hope that your travel plans will provide for a return visit to Solage. If I can be of assistance to you now or in the future, please do not hesitate in calling.

Warm Regards,

Richard W. Hill
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Definitely overpriced for what it offers. Charging for every small detail. Food was so so, nothing to write home about. Average at best, service not very friendly. i think you can get better value at other places. They act very stuck up, but I don't think they offer what they claim to.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank romaniangirlamerican
Richard H, Director of Sales at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your experience at Solage. Please note that attention to detail and friendly, professional service are paramount to our company culture. We will be sharing your comments with our team to ensure they are aware of your perceptions so we may make immediate corrections. On behalf of everyone at Solage thank you for joining us during this special occasion – we hope you will have fond memories of your time with us for years to come.

Warm Regards,

Renee Risch
Director of Sales & Marketing
san francisco
Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was our first visit, and the service was excellent. We had a cottage with a king bed/down comforter, fireplace and pebble stone floor shower. There were robes and slippers in the room. There were also complimentary cookies, chocolate sauce, dried apricots and marshmallows. Each cottage comes with 2 bikes. The main pool is heated year-round at 88 degrees. The fitness center, while small, is well-equipped. There are complimentary yoga, spin and pilates classes in the am. I had an excellent 50 minute message for $135 at the spa. We had dinner and breakfast at the restaurant. The restaurant is excellent but has very small portions sizes, which is standard for your higher-end places in CA. Solage is located close to downtown Calistoga, but you would still have to drive. It is a smaller place and caters more to couples on romantic getaway trips (although there is a kids pool).

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lynstersf
Yountville, California
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Second stay at Solage has yet again proven to be perfect.

We love the individual style 'cabin', outdoor patio to relax, bicycles to explore the area and the accommodating staff.

Dining and facilities are top notch.

We'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 3 March 2012

My wife and I went there for 4 days in March 2012. As usual, I spent too much time focusing on the not so good comments on TA before we went. I can say that our own personal experience was great though. It is for sure not cheap, but you also get what you pay for I guess. I was a little disappointed when we first got there to see we were at the "back of the lot", but as I was checking in, there was a rather loud wedding going on (to be expected), and we were more than happy to get something that was peaceful and quiet. The distance was no problem, and was only a short walk, or literally 30 seconds on the bikes provided for each cabin.
The restaurant was nice, but again pricey. I would say it's a nice place to start your day with breakfast, but there are so many choices in Calistoga (5 minute bike ride) that I would probably choose to dine in town.
Some people commented on it being a long way from Napa, but if you have a car, it's not a big deal. I would say that the area around Calistoga is as nice or nicer than Napa. Has lots of great wineries, and is just as scenic.
My wife had a spa treatment and said she had a great time (she's been to many so she would know)
The room itself was different, but very nice. Not huge, but cozy with great beds and pillows. Love the loose coffee and filters, and selection of teas, including a "sleepy time" tea that put me out every night. the bathroom space was nice with some of the best smelling toiletries i've had in a hotel. My wife HAD to buy some at the spa before we left. The cement floors in the rooms can be a little cool, but slippers are provided. The rainfall shower was great, although it never seemed to get quite hot enough for us.
Just one last comment that I have to mention pertaining to what others were saying about the grounds and landscaping at Solage. It is not "undone" but rather planted to fit in with the natural surroundings. I'm not sure f people wanted to see all grass, but I thought they were beautiful with cacti and lavender. it in perfectly, and smelled great.
All in all I would highly recommend this for a great getaway to the Napa Valley.
Feel fee to contact me if you have any questions.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 19 which was a little further (but quieter) from the main bar and front desk. Some...