“Cute boutique hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mount View Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Cute boutique hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012 via mobile

I thought the hotel was cute and clean. We were welcomed with smiles. I felt the room was very pricey but calistoga is very expensive.
Had a facial which was good. Then a massage with a super talkative therapist. This was the most disappointing part of the trip. Very overpriced spa but again prices in the area very high.
Think I would rather stay at Indian springs up the street.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sashatrev
Cassi D, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Hello Sashatrev,

Thank you for your review and for contacting me directly in regards to your disappointing Massage. We strive for excellence in all aspects of our Hotel & Spa and it is disappointing to hear that you did not receive the experience you were hoping for. I have addressed this concern with the therapist and know there will be dramatic improvement. Our facials and estheticians are truly amazing and I am glad that you were able to enjoy our Classic Ana Kiri Facial.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest and hope that in the future you do choose to be our guest once again.

Hospitality Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Mount View Hotel & Spa for three nights for our wedding anniversary. At first, I wasn't quite certain I was impressed. The room was smaller than we were used to and it had an old clunky room air conditioner. Fortunately, we soon realized that air conditioning was not even necessary at night in Calisoga. Then, I realized that this was a very old hotel and retained a great deal of its character simply by being more than one hundred years old. It was beautifully renovated and the bed was extremely comfortable. We had a garden view room that seemed to have some of the garden growing into our room through the window. It was not a problem, though. Service was great! Very friendly.The spa was excellent. We had a couples massage on our last day. Thank you to Mark for a great massage! We never ate at the hotel restaurants because there were so many great places in the surrounding area. Try the Calistoga Inn and sit on the patio. Beautiful! Great wineries in the area. We went to Castillo di Amaroso, Sterling, Schraumsberg and the Cuppola wineries. Wonderful trip overall and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: There is no elevator. If you have a lot of luggage or a disability, make certain you request a cott...
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I had stayed in a standard queen room once before with a girlfriend a few years ago, and we enjoyed the pool, spa and restaurant. The room was very small and cramped, not quite what you would expect for the price.

My new husband and I came here last week for a mini-honeymoon and we loved it. We were upgraded to a cottage, which was just perfect! It had a cute little deck with a table/chairs, and an outdoor jacuzzi. The room was great, everything was very clean and it was well appointed. We will definitely be back to celebrate our one year anniversary. It is very pricey, but the cottages are worth it.

Hello nyo2007,

Congratulations on your union and thank you for choosing the Mount View Hotel & Spa for your Honeymoon Get-A-Way. I am so excited to hear that you enjoyed our Cottage and your experience. We look forward to having you as our guests on your anniversary, or anytime you decide to return for a visit.

You are able to sign up to be a VIP on our website, and when your anniversary comes next year you will be receiving our specials for your return trip.

See you then! Cheers!

San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

For this price I expected more. There were lots of little things that were just frustrating. We stayed in a room with queen bed on the first floor. We would not return here for this price.
+ Nice lobby, lounge, decor and welcoming, helpful staff
+ Enjoyed the pool area with room for eating and covered areas in the shade. Pool with built-in seats was perfect. We bought our own spread for pool-side snacking (no service out there).
+ Large closet for stashing stuff
+ Delivered continental breakfast
However...
- Rooms located on way to pool so people can see into your room so we kept shades closed and bathroom window closed too even though it was the only one that opened.
- No patio or way to get fresh air except in bathroom
- A/C takes up one of the windows in the room. The fan was so loud I could not sleep but had to keep it on because it was so stuffy
- Little things like light bulbs out on nightstand and in closet.
- Outlets worked intermittently! Could not use the hair dryer even after trying plugs in bedroom. Staff told us to try again b/c it was a new dryer. Finally on day 3 let front desk know again and was asked "well, did you have the bathroom light on?" haha
- We had 3 in our room but breakfast for 2 was provided each morning. Had to ask server for one additional place setting etc.
- Things showing up on our bill that we did not purchase (lip balm!?) or order (champagne ordered by our friends) although this seems common at many hotels nowadays
- Nowhere to work out/no gym passes

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MelKCE
Hello MelKCE,

Thank you for the review. I am very glad to hear that your group enjoyed the pool area and the Hotel. Your group was a pleasure to have as our guests and I hope that the Bride to Be had a wonderful weekend!

We appreciate the feedback on room to improve. I have already placed the idea for fogged glass to be installed on the downstairs room's windows. We definitely want our guests to feel comfortable in their rooms and have their privacy.

Our housekeeping staff is to inspect all light bulbs in each room, and I am sorry that you had some that were not. I have addressed this with our head of housekeeping and I apologize for your inconvenience. I am hoping this was addressed during your stay and I have made sure they have been addressed upon reading your review.

Being a Historical Building, we struggle to keep the electrical in the building up to speed with the ever increasing technology. Some of our rooms do require having the light "on" in the bathroom for the bathroom outlet to function. We have been able to fix this is most rooms, but it is not possible in all. Rooms with this issue should have a sign placed in the bathroom, so as to not inconvenience our guests.

I am sorry for the mix up in charges during your stay. I am not sure who assisted in the Lip Balm purchase, but I did ask if the champagne should be posted to your room when I opened the bottle poolside, and I was told that was fine. I should have asked the person ordering for their specific room number, and this will be policy moving forward for all staff members, including myself, when working with groups with multiple rooms. We wish to have our guest's experience be as relaxing as possible and deciphering charges is not a relaxing task.

I do hope that given the improvements we are hoping to make, that you do indeed find us the best choice for your next visit.

Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

The Mount View is a pleasant boutique hotel with a quaint ambience. The rooms are minimalistically decorated, with comfortable beds and adequate space. The staff at the front desk are for the most part very accomodating and friendly, and at least one fellow went out of his way to be attentive. However, one female front desk attendent was curt and rude.

The spa at the hotel is grossly overpriced for the quality of the treatments and for the quality of the facility itself. Therapy rooms have paper thin walls, and every noise, from the hallway outside the door to the adjacent room, could be heard clearly, including maintenance personel working inthe hallway. The massage therapist, given the spa's exceedingly high prices, was minimally skilled. I have had literally hundreds of massages around the world, and this therapist I would rate a 2 on a scale of 10.

Overall, for a day or two trip, the hotel is good for a quick jaunt to the Napa Valley. However, I certainly wouldn't make an effort to choose this hotel if you seek a high quality and relaxing spa experience, as it was marginal at best.

4 Thank SeasonTraveler2007
Cassi D, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our Hotel and our staff. Our staff as a whole always looks to go above and beyond to provide the best service to our guests. I do wish that you did not experience any rudeness as we strive to be courteous to all guests, and I would be interested in hearing details about this experience so that we may address this with the staff member and look to improve our guest’s experience.

I am also very interested in hearing about your Spa experience in more details. We pride ourselves on the Art of Relaxation and our Spa is the main focus of this mission. We do schedule all maintenance work around our Spa schedule so as to be a quiet and relaxing inside the spa as possible. All of our therapists have well over the required hours to be a certified therapist and we do constant training to ensure we have a well qualified and experienced staff.

Again, I am glad that you enjoyed your Hotel stay, and if you are able to contact me directly with more details to your stay, I would love to hear from you: hotelmgr@mountviewhotel.com

Cassi D