“Charming and romantic”

Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco, California
“Charming and romantic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

I had stayed in a standard queen room once before with a girlfriend a few years ago, and we enjoyed the pool, spa and restaurant. The room was very small and cramped, not quite what you would expect for the price.

My new husband and I came here last week for a mini-honeymoon and we loved it. We were upgraded to a cottage, which was just perfect! It had a cute little deck with a table/chairs, and an outdoor jacuzzi. The room was great, everything was very clean and it was well appointed. We will definitely be back to celebrate our one year anniversary. It is very pricey, but the cottages are worth it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Cassi D, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Hello nyo2007,

Congratulations on your union and thank you for choosing the Mount View Hotel & Spa for your Honeymoon Get-A-Way. I am so excited to hear that you enjoyed our Cottage and your experience. We look forward to having you as our guests on your anniversary, or anytime you decide to return for a visit.

You are able to sign up to be a VIP on our website, and when your anniversary comes next year you will be receiving our specials for your return trip.

See you then! Cheers!

Hospitality Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

For this price I expected more. There were lots of little things that were just frustrating. We stayed in a room with queen bed on the first floor. We would not return here for this price.
+ Nice lobby, lounge, decor and welcoming, helpful staff
+ Enjoyed the pool area with room for eating and covered areas in the shade. Pool with built-in seats was perfect. We bought our own spread for pool-side snacking (no service out there).
+ Large closet for stashing stuff
+ Delivered continental breakfast
However...
- Rooms located on way to pool so people can see into your room so we kept shades closed and bathroom window closed too even though it was the only one that opened.
- No patio or way to get fresh air except in bathroom
- A/C takes up one of the windows in the room. The fan was so loud I could not sleep but had to keep it on because it was so stuffy
- Little things like light bulbs out on nightstand and in closet.
- Outlets worked intermittently! Could not use the hair dryer even after trying plugs in bedroom. Staff told us to try again b/c it was a new dryer. Finally on day 3 let front desk know again and was asked "well, did you have the bathroom light on?" haha
- We had 3 in our room but breakfast for 2 was provided each morning. Had to ask server for one additional place setting etc.
- Things showing up on our bill that we did not purchase (lip balm!?) or order (champagne ordered by our friends) although this seems common at many hotels nowadays
- Nowhere to work out/no gym passes

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MelKCE
Hello MelKCE,

Thank you for the review. I am very glad to hear that your group enjoyed the pool area and the Hotel. Your group was a pleasure to have as our guests and I hope that the Bride to Be had a wonderful weekend!

We appreciate the feedback on room to improve. I have already placed the idea for fogged glass to be installed on the downstairs room's windows. We definitely want our guests to feel comfortable in their rooms and have their privacy.

Our housekeeping staff is to inspect all light bulbs in each room, and I am sorry that you had some that were not. I have addressed this with our head of housekeeping and I apologize for your inconvenience. I am hoping this was addressed during your stay and I have made sure they have been addressed upon reading your review.

Being a Historical Building, we struggle to keep the electrical in the building up to speed with the ever increasing technology. Some of our rooms do require having the light "on" in the bathroom for the bathroom outlet to function. We have been able to fix this is most rooms, but it is not possible in all. Rooms with this issue should have a sign placed in the bathroom, so as to not inconvenience our guests.

I am sorry for the mix up in charges during your stay. I am not sure who assisted in the Lip Balm purchase, but I did ask if the champagne should be posted to your room when I opened the bottle poolside, and I was told that was fine. I should have asked the person ordering for their specific room number, and this will be policy moving forward for all staff members, including myself, when working with groups with multiple rooms. We wish to have our guest's experience be as relaxing as possible and deciphering charges is not a relaxing task.

I do hope that given the improvements we are hoping to make, that you do indeed find us the best choice for your next visit.

Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

The Mount View is a pleasant boutique hotel with a quaint ambience. The rooms are minimalistically decorated, with comfortable beds and adequate space. The staff at the front desk are for the most part very accomodating and friendly, and at least one fellow went out of his way to be attentive. However, one female front desk attendent was curt and rude.

The spa at the hotel is grossly overpriced for the quality of the treatments and for the quality of the facility itself. Therapy rooms have paper thin walls, and every noise, from the hallway outside the door to the adjacent room, could be heard clearly, including maintenance personel working inthe hallway. The massage therapist, given the spa's exceedingly high prices, was minimally skilled. I have had literally hundreds of massages around the world, and this therapist I would rate a 2 on a scale of 10.

Overall, for a day or two trip, the hotel is good for a quick jaunt to the Napa Valley. However, I certainly wouldn't make an effort to choose this hotel if you seek a high quality and relaxing spa experience, as it was marginal at best.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SeasonTraveler2007
Cassi D, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Hello,

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you enjoyed our Hotel and our staff. Our staff as a whole always looks to go above and beyond to provide the best service to our guests. I do wish that you did not experience any rudeness as we strive to be courteous to all guests, and I would be interested in hearing details about this experience so that we may address this with the staff member and look to improve our guest’s experience.

I am also very interested in hearing about your Spa experience in more details. We pride ourselves on the Art of Relaxation and our Spa is the main focus of this mission. We do schedule all maintenance work around our Spa schedule so as to be a quiet and relaxing inside the spa as possible. All of our therapists have well over the required hours to be a certified therapist and we do constant training to ensure we have a well qualified and experienced staff.

Again, I am glad that you enjoyed your Hotel stay, and if you are able to contact me directly with more details to your stay, I would love to hear from you: hotelmgr@mountviewhotel.com

Cassi D
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

My GF and I booked here off-season for a Sunday night, so it was actually affordable on a grad student budget. The building is very historic (but the resort is well maintained), romantic, and you feel like you're on Titanic. The room was very nice, bed quite comfy, and the spa services top notch. The private baths with the therapeutic mud (not full mud, just sprinkles in the water LOL) were great.

We've wanted to come back ever since but it's just so pricey vs. other Napa options. But for special occasions, I think it's worth it. Good location with short walk to restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Hello,

Thank you for coming out to visit us in November and for the great review. We hope you are able to come back for another visit, whether it be a special occasion or on a whim.

We run specials year round. Be the first to hear about them when you sign up to receive our monthly newsletter by going online to our website and becoming a Mount View VIP. With a mixture of guestrooms and Suites, and the variety of Hotel & Spa Packages, we hope to be able to accommodate you any time of year!

U.K.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

We visited the hotel and thankfully it was just the one night.
We had an extremely small and tasteless room, unfortunately we cannot remember the room number.
There was a window which gave us no light and looked onto an inside view of a different part of the hotel.
We were told there was a complimentary continental breakfast and it would be delivered to the room and we had to give a time for delivery there and then when booking in.
When the breakfast came it consisted of orange juice and coffee, one large iced doughnut and one very small iced scone and a piece of fruit. The scone and doughnut were unpleasant.
When delivered the lady did not know where to put the tray, there was no room to put it down even.
Yes, we should have asked to see another room but we were tired and we thankfully were staying just the one night and decided not to make a fuss.
It is classed as a spa hotel ,but, the first impression of the spa was not good as their reception was just a small desk in the main reception ( the reception not being very impressive either) with someone behind the desk looking very bored. We were given a credit for the spa but, looking at the high cost of treatments, and the spa not looking very enticing, that was something we decided to give a miss.
All in all our experience at Mount View were extremely dissapointing and we paid a lot of money, far more than what we had expected to, but, in fairness that appeared to be the going rate in Calistoga.
We were pleased we stayed in Calistoga, however, if you choose to stay at Mount View I recommend you take a look at the room and decide if it is acceptable before unpacking.

Room Tip: Check out the room and tell them if you are unhappy with the one allocated, they are expensive so sp...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank hurstpark
, Manager at Mount View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Hello Hurtspark,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Being the historic downtown Hotel that we are, we do have limitations on our room size and views. We do market ourselves as a small boutique hotel and this is truly what we are. All of our guestrooms are slightly different in layout and square footage which makes it hard to generalize our rooms. This is why we have gone the route of making each room individual and giving our guests options to best accommodate what you are looking for. Including fresh pastries from a local bakery, fruit, orange juice, coffee & tea, is an added amenity that we hope brings light to your morning, while not trying to compete with the dozen of restaurants on main street that offer a full breakfast menu.

In order to best accommodate all inquiries, we have a mixture of bed types in our guestrooms and suites, and offer private cottages as well. For the more extravagant in decor and space, our Suites and Cottages would be my recommendation. Our Guestrooms are smaller rooms and are calmer in décor, but still attractive and fun.

In addition to creating a unique experience in each room, we have also done the same for the Spa. I wished you would have tried the Spa, as our Spa should not be judged upon the look of the lobby. Once you step into our Spa you feel as if you have stepped into a different world with soothing colors and aromas; a variety of treatments all with relaxation.

I am very happy to hear that over all you enjoyed the town of Calistoga. It is a great, welcoming, town to enjoy and hopefully you will consider re-visiting us on a future visit and trying a different room type or trying the Spa.

Cassi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
0.5 km away
0.2 km away
Calistoga Spa Hot Springs
Calistoga Spa Hot Springs
#7 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to Mount View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK