“Single standing cottages = single family home; peaceful”
Review of Merrybrook Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Boulder Creek
Merrybrook Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Boulder Creek
San Leandro, California
“Single standing cottages = single family home; peaceful”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

For those of you who would like to have a quiet trip in the woods, this is it. We were lucky to get cabin 3, which was the cabin with the best creek view. Love the deck and the BBQ grill outside. The kitchen has an electric stove, full size frige and full size sink, but no microwave. Used frying pan and spatula to heat up foold. No coffee pot, but a perculator (?) coffee pot. Who can blame this city for being environmentally green. There were metal forks, spoons and how about an egg beater. A dish rack is provided for the glass plates and mugs. These items are gentley used and may not be good for those who must have new utensils or plastics. You can cook for yourself and it feels like home, but expect to clean up after yourself as there is only cleaning service about once a week. You have to take out your own trash. As for the living room, one would need to provide their own firelog. Having basic cable TV is adequate. We were glad there wasn't any clock or telephone, but who needs those when everybody's got a cell phone or a smart phone. The couch was a 3 person couch. What we liked about the living room is that it appears to be a social room with another table and an extra bed in the living room. Other hotel rooms may not have a couch or a card table/ board game table. The bathroom only has a shower stall but adequate enough. Homes could have been built in this good area, which is within walking distance to the fine Italian restaurant, Scopazzi (?) and a nearby supermarket, Johnnie's. We felt priviledge to be in this location, which is only a couple miles away from the Big Basin State Park. We felt our $150 for a Saturday night was worth it because there was a creek and no neighbors next to our wall. We hope Merry Brook Lodge will continue to be a hotel and not a resort.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ang1370
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
MhawkJoe
Reviewed 23 May 2009

Checked in on Sunday night and from the first moment I knew I was home for the week. Friendly staff always greeting you with a smile. Clean cabins with everything you need for your stay. Private and quiet location. Had a creek right off the deck with the sound of running water all night.
If you're looking for some fancy five star Hilton Hotel, keep looking. This place is for the people in life that wants a lil more "mountain" in their trip and a little less "fluff".
We just didn't want to leave.

Thank you Merrybrook for a wonderful week!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MhawkJoe
Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We stayed two nights at the Merry Brook lodge this past weekend. I was a little anxious about staying after reading all of the reviews. I have to say I was quite impressed. The owners were very nice. The room was very clean. We stayed in the hotel style room with one queen bed. The room was HUGE. It was quite beautiful. It had a refrigerator and a microwave in our room also. It smelt a little musty at first but once the door was open for a few minutes it was fine. There was a seperate heater in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. We had taken an airbed for our daughter (she is 3) and there was plenty of room for that on the floor with room to spare. They also provide extra bedding in the closet. The country setting of the creek running behind the rooms and all of the redwood trees was amazing. I would recommend this place to anyone. We will be going back. Our trash was dumped and our towels were changed daily. However, as someone else stated the towels leave a lot to be desired. We planned ahead and brought our own. Other than that it was great.

• Liked — It was beautlful
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank rbobopuppy
San Francisco
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I stayed over Thanksgiving. Temperature was *cold*. The heating units worked well.

I had the smallest of 5 cabins. It costs $150 a night, and you are expected to clean up after yourself, because there is no cleaning service.

My cabin came with a small bedroom attached to a small bathroom. The bathroom has a sink, a toilet and a shower stall. The cabins come with their own hot water heaters. There's a heating unit in the bathroom.

The bedroom seems standard. My (double) bed was more comfortable than the bed I have at home. Also, I slept well - so the traffic noise must not have been so terrible. There was the humming of the heater, its white noise may have helped.

The living area has a twin bed, a small sofa, and a firebox. Bring your own wood and kindling if you want to use it. Wood is easy to come by, in town. There's a TV with cable - about 27".

My cabin had a small refrigerator [other cabins have larger ones]. The purculator was crummy, but I have this feeling from reading some of the scathing reviewers, anything nicer would just get stolen along with the threadbare towels. I brought my own towels because of the negative comments, but their towels seemed fine.

I believe the oven had a gas range (I didn't cook on it).

There *was* an unpleasant smell. So I got this unappetizing image of the angry people sitting there in the heat sweating on the sofa and stinking it up with their BO. So I covered it with a beach towel. I think maybe the carpet or the sofa maybe needed to be shampooed. I left the windows open for several hours, and it was a lot better later.

They have (slow) wireless internet service.

The owner seemed pleasant when I checked out. We didn't go through any long discourse, and I didn't complain about my accomodations. I know she and her husband have owned the place for several years.

The town is beautiful, and I was in my cabin as little as possible. Overall, I'd say I had a very pleasant stay.

Stayed November 2007
5 Thank jsbsf
San Jose
Reviewed 6 June 2007

My wife and I came up for the annual art and wine festival and decided to stay the whole weekend up in the mountains and maybe check out the area more. We ended up luckily getting the last cabin at Merry Brook and it was just wonderful. The rooms are very clean and the management are not only friendly but very helpful with a great knowledge of what's in the area. If you are looking to get away, relax and clear your mind, this is definitely the place for you. We had a cabin overlooking the creek and a kitchen and fireplace in our room. It was very enjoyable.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank np8023
6.1 km away
Jaye's Timberlane Resort
Jaye's Timberlane Resort
#2 of 3 in Ben Lomond

Been to Merrybrook Lodge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK