“Winner, for worst food I have EVER had!”

Yamatani Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 64 Restaurants in Bishop
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

This is the worst restaurant I have been to hands down, in every aspect, from start to finish. Upon entering, there was no hostess visible, I suggested leaving, and OMG I wish we would have, unfortunately decided to stay. Big mistake! In addition to the poor service and the horrible smell, this restaurant by far and away, has exceeded any expectations I could ever have for the most disgusting food I've ever eaten.

We both got meals that were supposed to come with a salad and soup, yet they only brought one salad and one soup both of them tasted horrible so there's really no point in asking for them to bring it anymore. For entrées, my husband got the tempura shrimp, which consisted of about three pieces of breaded "shrimp" (mostly all breading with a few small pieces of shrimp and some breaded vegetables. My meal was some sort of a chicken soup bowl with noodles. Everything about this dish was horrible, and I pretty tolerable pallet. It was supposed to be chicken and vegetables but apparently was certain some sort of broth, and the vegetables consisted of mostly limp, soggy cabbage. The little chicken pieces, or what I think we're chicken pieces, were dry and disgusting. When the waiter came back to ask our meals were I told him that my meal was horrible and how dry the chicken was, he just goes I'm sorry and walked away.

Which leads me to their horrible service, in addition to the hostessed it was nowhere to be found when at the restaurant. Our waiter was slow and lacked any attention to detail. And it took him so long to come back with our check, that I finally got up went to the front of the restaurant to wait left my husband in there to wait.

Finally the biggest kicker restaurant just smelled awful, like gas. It literally smelled like a huge fart in this restaurant. So disgusting and I'm actually mad at myself for not leaving the moment I step foot inside this place. The only reason this place is even business, is because Bishop is a pass-through town, with several hotels. So stupid tourists, like us have no idea how disgusting this places until after they leave.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

One of the Best places to eat in Bishop, Great fresh food and good service. It can be a little noisy, but it is really worth going there.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

My wife and I decided to give Yamatani a try. We're glad we did since the food and friendly efficient service were really excellent. The salmon teriakyi I had was very fresh and perfectly cooked with a rich, dark rich sauce. My wife's beef sukiyaki was also very good. The restaurant was surprisingly busy for early Thursday dinner, with many locals and families streaming in, but it's easy to understand why. Next time if I don't get the salmon again, I'll try the shrimp and vegetable tempura I saw being deliver to the table next to us. Highly recommened.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

Tasty food served in a large family friendly restaurant by friendly staff. Nothing fancy here, just nice, tasty dishes.

Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

The menu is solid! Straightforward and authentic: the Maki section includes simple rolls mixed in a list with the 'special' rolls. Bottle of nigori sake came with large bar-styled glasses that fit the bottle perfectly between the two. Rolls are good as can be. Recommend the veggie crunch to anyone who wants a seafood-free option. The vampire roll was perfect for the halloween season

Our waitress was stuck serving the packed house with only the help of a host and someone bringing water/tea. She handled it quickly and effectively!

Date of visit: October 2017

Been to Yamatani Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK