“Never disappoints”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Wadenhoe
Cuisines: British
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The historic King’s Head is one of the area’s best-kept secrets. Situated in the unspoilt village of Wadenhoe, and nestling alongside the picturesque River Nene, this 17th century thatched inn has been serving locals and travellers for over 400 years. We serve delicious and hearty traditional pub fayre as well as the latest culinary creations from our talented chefs... plus of course real ales, ciders, spirits and a selection of wines from around the world to suit all tastes and pocketsIn summer, our grassy riverside paddock is a picturesque hive of activity, where drinkers can sit in the shade of the ancient pollarded willow trees and watch the colourful narrow boats negotiating the nearby lock. In winter, the comfortable bar with its roaring log fire is always a welcoming draw, while the adjoining restaurant area is ideal for larger parties as well as couples seeking a more intimate dining experience.The surrounding countryside is regarded as among the most picturesque in the East Midlands and is ideal for ramblers. Two long-distance footpaths - the Nene Way and the Lyveden Way - pass the doorstep of the pub. Our friendly and professional staff are always on hand to make your visit as enjoyable as possible. Well-behaved dogs and children are welcome..We invite you to explore our website for more details of the services we offer... as well as special events you may wish to mark in your diary.
Reviewed 28 June 2017

Been here about 5 times now - sometimes for Sunday lunch sometimes for weekday lunch. The food has always been excellent. Our favourites are without doubt the Cream of Tomato Soup as a starter (possibly the best tomato soup I have ever had) followed by the Tempura Prawns - but having tried quite a few of the dishes between myself and my family I would struggle to find one to be critical of.
You do need to book on weekends, but mid-week doesn't seem too bad. They do occasionally close on certain days, so check before you leave to avoid disappointment

Reviewed 27 June 2017

The King's Head is a perfect location as it is in a nice central village, it has a very large garden with a river at the bottom which sees many boats docking up.
It has quite good food and the inside is very medieval-like and therefore cosy.
I cannot fault the food, service, and facilities.

However, the biggest thing that lets it down is that it closes at 6 pm on Sunday (And stops serving food a lot earlier). I have been quite a few times and have often found it to be closing at 5 pm, and the management acted like you should know they close early and one time it was even implied that next time I should come earlier. On multiple times, I have seen many boats, cars, and walkers show up to find that it is closed.

I have tried to go there on a couple of bank holidays to find out it was closed (Or had been closed before 5 pm).
In addition, I have found the hours on the front door to be very confusing and I know they aren't the hours they stick to.

I know that a lot of the pubs that I know do close early on a Sunday, but this is usually between 9 pm / 11 pm.

I'm not sure the reason for this, but they are missing out on a lot of customers, especially since there has been quite a few warm Sundays lately. I should point out that a lot of these scenarios the pub (and garden) were quite busy and yet it still closed early.
After all, Wadenhoe and surrounding areas get a lot of walkers, dog-walkers, boats, and even had a nearby village hall that I believe caters for weddings (I believe perhaps some deal could be struck to allow them to use the beer garden).

In addition, I feel the garden needs more benches.

I can't help but feel that this is trying to be a business that only focuses on being a restaurant and by having higher class customers.

As I say, it's a very good pub with great facilities, if you are planning on visiting...just hope it is open. I feel this place has the potential to be thriving with the right leadership.This place could easily have bands play, events, and be more welcoming to locals (Who will have somewhere to go and socialise).

1  Thank PresidentCharming
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

FANTASTIC - The best Sunday lunch I've ever had. If only I could rate it higher but there is only 5*s and I would do 10*... What an amazing place, the staff are so genuinely friendly and food is out of this world. I can say that I am a good cook and I'm always disappointed with Sunday lunches UNTIL NOW.!!.. I had the roast beef and it was cooked to perfection ( we were asked if any one wanted it well done - they would be happy to oblige ). Normally in other places you get a suggestion (little bit ) of meat and peas/carrots and mushy stuff... But not here!!.... 2 thick slices (yes) slices, not slivers of meat - amazing mash and roasties - the vegetables were a winner in their own right and lovely thick gravy - not jus !! Yorkshire puddings that are hand made!!! I am a lover of good food and think that when you find quality on this level, it should be raved about... the chef is an amazing cook and we'll definitely be coming back. So if you need a fantastic Sunday roast or you want to treat someone special - book here and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

When we visited it was really hot, so we grabbed a couple of pints of local ale and sat by the river Nene. It's a beautiful spot to relax.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

Arrived at the Kings Head on a very sunny glorious Sunday afternoon to find that the do not serve food on Sunday afternoons.
After hearing so many good reviews and also being recommended we thought we would try it but was disappointed that we could not get anything to eat so unfortunately we took our custom elsewhere.