“Comfortable, clean, and cozy!”
other traveller has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Aking005
Seattle, Washington
“Great cabin, poorly managed.”
Reviewed 30 December 2012 for a stay in December 2012
person found this review helpful

We arrived for our stay on the 26th of December, our Christmas gift to ourselves as we're from SoCal and were really looking forward to seeing some snow, taking our son sledding, and having a nice fire. I want to preface this review by stating we paid 780.00 for a two night stay during 'peak season' and are very well traveled as a family. We're also pretty laid back travelers which will be hard to tell during this review. But for the money we paid this was an awful experience. We usually take a couple of big trips per year and a few 'getaway's' like this one. So we do feel like we've had a fair amount of experience to draw from.

We arrived as others did searching for the lock box. We could have blipped sonar and found it easier. It's hidden under an eave, not easily visible. There was nothing on the 5 pages of documentation we received about the property to disclose that information and in looking around at the other cabins the lock boxes were literally right next to the doors. Once we finally located it we spent 15 min trying the combination to no avail. We called Cool Cabins who said they would send someone out. They said 15 min which actually took about 35. We sat in the car counting those minutes with 3 dogs and a toddler all who needed to use the bathroom as it snowed after a nearly 3 hour drive. When someone showed up he walked my husband up to the lock box which was NOT the same as the one we'd found. Yes, there are two lock boxes but they are literally on separate sides of the house (literally one on the right, one on the left) WHO would think to look for a second lock box if they'd already found one? Not us, and apparently not the other people here on tripadvisor who had similar experiences. A suggestion might be to ADD that info into the packet on the property. We couldn't understand why they did not mention on the phone that this house had two lock boxes rather than have us sit and wait for someone to come point it out? By the reviews we are not the only people who've had this issue. Either way, we finally got unloaded and relaxed. When we entered the cabin every light in the cabin was on, including the TV. As if someone had literally just left. No biggie, but it struck us as a little odd. Cabin is truly very clean, beds are hard as a rock if you're into that, and the heater to this place gets so hot that the stairwell and upstairs bedrooms become stifling. We slept with our windows cracked (it was 9 degrees outside) but it cooled the bedrooms off and made them comfortable to sleep. If you like more than one pillow to sleep with, bring extras.

Our biggest complaint came on the first night. We ran the water for the bathtub at 7pm (3 hours after our arrival), our son's typical bath time. It ran warm initially so we went ahead and let him jump in. 5 min into pouring the water he was crying because it was too cold. I went over to turn it off and it was freezing. I was irate. Showers after traveling all day were now not an option. We called cool cabins to find out what to do after finding the water heater outside locked up. The girl on the phone told my husband that's "Just how the cabin is, there isn't a lot of hot water." I asked to speak to her and I told her for $800.00 for a two night stay if we were to expect no hot water we'd like our money back and we'd like to check out in the morning. She called the owner and suggested we simply call the owners directly. Are you kidding me? Ok, we'll do that! Can't wait to handle that problem for you. After getting the owner directly on the phone we were told to just turn the water heater up, guess where the key was? In the first lock box we'd tried. I almost laughed out loud. We turned up the water heater and managed to get a nice hot shower in the morning. A little deductive reasoning told us that no one had turned it on prior to our arrival, or had done so immediately before we arrived. Thanks for that. We appreciated it.

The neighbors were out until 1am the second night we were there in the rental next to ours and hot tubed into the wee hours. Our son had to sleep in our room as you can hear everything through the windows including the donkey one street over who woke us up Hee Hawing first thing in the morning. We did take our son over to visit him and he's quite friendly, but all of these things just really did not make this an enjoyable stay. When you pay as much money as we did to stay for two nights you expect a few things, easy entry, hot water, and peace and quiet. If you can't offer those things you shouldn't be charging 5 star hotel rates. We were also a little disappointed that no one called the following day to simply check in and make sure we HAD hot water. I did call and leave the owner a message but we never heard from anyone. I've reread this review several times and I just feel it's important you know what you're getting. Find a pet friendly hotel in the area with a fireplace, you'll likely save yourself a tremendous amount of money and be treated as if your business matters.

We would not stay here again, or any property managed by Cool Cabins. Hope if you do you have a far better experience than we did.

Bottom line is this it is a cute cabin. The owners decorated for the Christmas season, it was clean, and the backyard was fenced for our dogs. It was NOT worth $800.00, and all we kept saying to ourselves while there was we could have been staying in a ridiculously nice hotel nearby who would have taken the time to make sure our stay was relaxing and enjoyable. It's not enjoyable to have no hot water while the property management company tells you that's "Just how the cabin is"....and be expected to sit in a running car for 45 min while you figure out a way to get inside your 'vacation rental'.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Fireplace
Liked least: To many things to list
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
ca
Reviewed 19 December 2012 for a stay in December 2012

Management Response
19 Dec 2012
Hello thank you for taking your time to write this review. I have taken some time to go over this and I just wanted to take a moment and respond. The occupancy at this cabin is four; this limitation is set by the City of Big Bear so there would never be any more than four occupants aloud in the cabin at one time. As far as the kitchen and dining space I think that the pictures definitely portray the cabin accurately, meaning that it is on the smaller side and probably not the top pick for a cabin if you are planning on doing a lot of cooking… We haven’t had any complaints about the door so far but we will send someone to the cabin to check it out right away. There are two lock boxes, one being the homeowners but this porch is fairly small so they are very close to one another. The showerheads are standard height but I will definitely contact the homeowner and see if we could purchase mattress covers or pads so the beds are more comfortable. Once again thank you for leaving this information, it is very helpful.

The Big Bear Cool Cabins Team

Reviewed 12 July 2012 for a stay in July 2012

So.Cal.
Reviewed 22 March 2012 for a stay in March 2012

Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing