“A very charming boutique hotel”

Maison 140 Beverly Hills
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Northern California, US
“A very charming boutique hotel”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This three-story boutique hotel located in a residential area way behind both Santa Monica and Wilshire boulevards. It's always very quiet. The clerk told me that the house was built in 1920 and belonged to Lillian Gish and her sister. It was converted into a hotel a few years ago.

The room is bigger than other boutique hotels I stayed before. It is very tastefully decorated with a very comfortable bed. They even have Illy coffee machine and Illy coffe in the room. The bathroom is half the size of the room! It only has shower, but it's very spacious with black and white granite floor. It's refreshing-looking. More importantly, the bathroom has a real window for ventilation.

People in the hotel are nice, helpful and courteous. Breakfast is only continental breakfast and the hotel doesn't have its own kitchen for any meals, except for happy hour finger food.

Two small drawbacks: TV inside the room is flat panel, but analog. The reception is pretty snowy;
Wifi is very fast when it works. You can't have two devices on wifi at the same time or at different times. Sometimes I couldn't get on the wifi at all. I assume it was because too many people were using it and that was in the evening. Early morning and afternoon are the best time slots to use wifi.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank xiongxiong43
MaisonSales, General Manager at Maison 140 Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor. As always, we value our guests' comments and feedback. Our staff truly appreciates your comments regarding the customer service
We regret that you weren't completely satisfied with some of our amenities and we have addressed the issues. Hope to welcome you back here again soon
Warmest Regards
Marie Helene Morowati
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chicago
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Close to the action and the shops. We were mixing business with pleasure and were not in the rooms much. The rooms were very small, but the king sized bed was heavenly. The bathrooms were tiny, but the shower was powerful. A few more hooks for things would not go amiss. We did hate the "window" frosted half-way up in the bathroom overlooking the bed as if you used the bathroom in the night the light blasted into your partners face from the bathroom to the bedroom. We found the bar cozy and the bar food delicious (but pricey) and loved the black walls/black carpet for the bar. We were less impressed with the black walls/black ceiling/black carpeting in the reception area. It made it cozy in the evening and not as attractive in the day. Plus it was hard to negotiate the few steps with the black carpet and dark walls.

1 Thank Chicagoehc
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Maison 140 was a great find at a great price, we used the all inclusive package which included the standard room, parking and breakfast.

There was a laptop near the front desk where we could check in for flights and print boarding passes.

The room was small by US standards but big enough for 2 people and 3 large pieces of luggage. Shower was powerful and toiletries were very good.

Breakfast was tasty with very good coffee and pastries.

From the hotel we walked all round the neighbourhood and realised what a bargain we had compared to some of the larget hotels.

3 Thank BrummieVegasFan
MaisonSales, General Manager at Maison 140 Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forwards to welcoming you back!
Warmest Regards,

Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Being an L.A native and residing in the O.C, I need to get my L.A fix every now and then! So I took the hubby for a nice birthday weekend getaway and stayed at this place. I talked to Amber on the phone and she was very sweet...when we got there Danielle helped us out and she was very friendly and attentive. Continental breakfast was delicious and the service was great. It was a pleasant experience! We felt like we lived there rather than having that typical hotel feeling. Very chic and modern with a french touch! Our room was very nice and the bed was sooooooooooooo comfortable! Our quick nap ended up being a 2 hour nap! LOL.

The size of the room was a bit small, but who cares! LOL We didnt have our kid with us and it was just us two-so it was PERFECT.

Great place!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your great experience at Maison! Our Colleagues are so thankful that you did mention them. We hope to welcome you back soon for another romantic getaway in Beverly Hills,
All the best,

Canada
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Hi,

I visited LA for the first time with my mom to run the LA marathon. There are choices from the LA marathon hotel list where you can also get a free shuttle, but since my mom was travelling with me the shuttle service would be useless to me. So I was searching for an affordable and hotel along the marathon course. Maison 140 lands right at Mile 17. The corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Blvd is only a 5 min walk away. It was a perfect location, safe and close to restaurants. The free shuttle parking at Santa Monica Beach was a 30 min drive away and the Dodgers stadium is a 30 min drive away. All very easy to get to with a car. My mom was able to see me at Mile 17. The hotel staff also helped my mom call a taxi and and took the taxi (~$30) to the finish line and meet me.

The entrance to the Hotel can be a little tricky if you are turn left from Santa Monica Blvd onto Wilshire -> IMMEDIATE left onto Lasky drive since there is a small medium there. Just drive to the next set of lights and turn around. It's a square and more safer to turn at the lights.

Parking is ~$28/night. It was safe and right beside the hotel.

Night time there are people hanging in the lobby where the bar was. I didn't really see anyone there for breakfast. There are so many restaurants outside to try. Rodeo drive is a 10 min drive away. Supermarket was hard to find. I asked the reception and the only supermarket in the area was a Whole Foods. She was even nice to print out a copy of the directions for me.

The room was very nicely furnished. At first we thought the mattress was a little soft for us, since my mom and I are used to sleeping on harder mattresses, but realized the soft part is just the padding and there is a harder mattress underneath. We had a very comfortable sleep.

Mornings were a little noisy with the traffic and they are doing construction on the building behind. So I heard a lot of construction noises in the morning. I was already up by then so it didn't really bother me.

The last morning I asked for an extra towel at the front desk and she came up herself to deliver me a towel. I was surprised to see her. Thank you!

It was cold in LA when I went and the room was also cold. I didn't know how to adjust the heating so at night the room was a little cold. The venting system is kind of loud and I couldn't sleep with it on.

I was there for 4 nights and loved the stay. The washroom is clean, bed is clean, wifi was good but a little unstable. I was using SKYPE to call my dad and the connection would drop every 5 minutes. But if you are not using skype the internet works great. TV has tons of channels. Can remote control the venting system. There is a hair dryer in the closet, mini fridge in the closet, Big bottles of shampoo, body wash, hand soap, and body lotion. Not those mini bars or mini bottles. I loved my King bed. The room was very nicely decorated and the colors can be a little strong but looked great. There is no bathtub, but who takes baths now these days in a hotel. The shower was perfect. I would stay again.

Thanks,
elaine

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank elainelaine
Dear Elaine,

Congratulations on running the L.A. Marathon, we hope you will be back next year. Thank you for sharing your experience at Maison 140.
Warmest Regards from all of us at Maison,