“BEWARE! WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE EVER!!!”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Although there are very few hotel options in Berkeley, do NOT stay here! I had the worst hotel experience of my life at the Hotel Shattuck, and I travel and stay in hotels for a living. The line for checking in took much longer than needed. There were only 2 people in front of me and there were 2 staff members checking guests in. I waited about 30 minutes until I was helped. Thinking that they were just trying to be good hosts, I didn't mind the wait. It wasn't until I was checking in that I realized that they are completely incompetent and rude, tossing my room keys at me. You need a room key to access the elevator as well as your room. When I went to the elevator and swiped my room key for access to the 5th floor it did not work. I tried using the other key I was given and that was rejected as well. I went back to the front desk to explain the situation. They started rolling their eyes and accusing me of inserting the keys into the elevator incorrectly. It wasn't until they tried the keys themselves that they apologized and give me new keys, which also did NOT work! I asked to be moved to a different room, but instead, they decided to just have a manager give me access to the room they had on file for me. Which is nice said in done, but I still didn't have a key to enter my room! When I finally got into my room I found stains on the towels and bathrobe! I was beyond disgusted! I went back down to the front desk and asked them once again to move me to another room. Instead they just had someone switch out the linens, instead of honoring my request. Then they finally gave me a room key that worked for that room. However, when I returned from dinner that night, the key once again FAILED to give me access to my room! I had to go downstairs for a 5th time to get a new key that would work! There was no apology or compensation whatsoever for the hoops I had to jump through, even when I checked out the next morning and explained my situation to the manger. All I received was a dirty room and rude service! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank SEM419
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Thank you for your feedback, however we regret that your first review was not as positive as many of the others we generally receive. We are looking into the feedback as it is not indicative of the service we provide. As of now, we are reviewing with our team that if a guest experiences such a stay and requests a room move, we should always accommodate when possible. While our team members are empowered to resolve guest concerns, as General Manager, I welcome the opportunity to hear when a guest does not feel that we are meeting their expectations so that we may find a way to provide a satisfying stay.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I have tried four hotels and 1 B&B in and around Berkeley. For my needs, the Shattuck was the best of the bunch. Nicely appointed recently updated large room. Great location right at the BART station. Pleasant and efficient staff. The large bright room with comfortable bed, up to date furnishings and recently renovated bathroom was far better than the rooms in the quaint but aging UC Berkeley faculty club, the dreary Durant, the pleasant but tired Bancroft, or the unpleasant and tired Rose Garden B&B (albeit with great breakfast). Unless you are working with Pixar, the downtown location was superior to the Woodfin in Emeryville.
Quibbles: Wifi was slow. No tub, just a shower. To be fair, it was a nice modern shower in a spotless bathroom. Desk chair was uncomfortable and desk was too high for comfortable computer use.
Hint: If you need transport from SFO to Berkeley, especially during rush hours, take the BART instead of taxi or super shuttle. The BART takes about an hour. But a colleague went with Super Shuttle and it took twice as long as the BART.
Hint: For an outstanding selection of local craft beers, skip the hotel bar and head across Shattuck to the Jupiter pub.
Hint: This hotel is large, with a one block (literally) walk from the elevators to rooms at the southern end of the floors. If you prefer to do your hiking in the Berkeley hills or to the pub with a good beer selection, request a room on the Allston Way side.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank aversetospam

Thank you for your comments! We are honored to be your selection for lodging when traveling to the area. Your feedback is helpful to know what we are doing right and where we can improve. To that point, our Wi-Fi is continuing to evolve and we offer both a free service (for email, social media, browsing etc…) and a premium service (streaming video, VPN etc…)for $4.99. Additionally, only 25% of our rooms have showers only and we can add to any guest profile the preference for a shower tub combination. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I stayed for two nights. The hotel is ideally suited if you are visiting the Berkeley campus, as I was. The hotel is also surrounded by restaurants, coffee shops, and movie theaters (3 of them, within two blocks!). I felt there was an emphasis on service and cleanliness. Kingsley, at the front desk, was helpful in allowing me an extra 2 hours for checkout (which really made it a much easier day for me). The room service was reasonably priced and the hamburger I ordered was great. The room is small-ish, but not tiny. The bed was extremely comfortable; great mattress and pillows. I loved the desk set-up as it is rare to have a desk chair with such good support.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wryan_11
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I sayed five nights at the Shattuck visiting family and can't wait to return! The staff made me feel at home from the first contact at check in...the king room was very comfortable and quiet, the food was great and what fun to gather round the bar for happy hour or at the end of the day! ( Thank you, Jacque, for your original recipe from Peru) The Shattuck will be my future home away from home when visiting family in Berkeley.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Check in staff unfriendly and unhelpful. Made us feel like we were in the way from the moment we stepped through the doors. No hotel info on check in, nothing in the room, no coffee machine, not even water. We asked for a coffee machine and were told 'they were limited so we probably wouldn't get one'.
Room service and the front desk didn't answer the phones for over 20 mins (it was only 8.50 in the evening), despite me trying repeatedly. Eventually I had to go down in person to the front desk to try and speak to someone. When asked why they weren't answering the phones, all they said was "we don't know anything about that" despite the fact that one of them was the manager.
No vegetarian food options apart from 1 pasta dish - pasta in tomato sauce. I checked before booking that there were veggie options and was told there were many, it being Berkeley and everything. They lied.
This hotel was worse than the Palace in SF and they fed us meat (we're veggies) and gave us food poisoning!.
Avoid this hotel, you won't be a valued guest. You'll just be in the way of everyone there. They wont thank you for it.
Oh and the air con in the room was broken.

Room Tip: This section asked me for tips to help fellow travellers choose a good room. My tip is choose a roo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank A B

We were surprised to receive this review as it is not the sort of feedback we typically receive. Nevertheless, we regret that this guest left so disappointed. Since receiving the feedback via Trip Advisor we have been reviewing every aspect to learn how we could have done better and to prevent a similar experience in the future. One area we are looking into is the late night dining room service menu. At the time the guest requested food service we only had our afterhours options for food; Chef is looking at providing other options for vegetarians. It is my understanding that we did provide fruit, a cheese plate and sodas complimentary since there was nothing to offer that met their dietary requirements. As for the phones not being answered, we realized that we had a very busy evening in the lobby and we will do better as no call should go unanswered. We remain committed to providing a compelling experience and will continue to embrace all feedback as it is the only way to improve.