“Great Place for a Quiet Getaway”

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We used to stay here but hadn't been in years. This weekend we went overnight to get away from the valley heat. This is a very nice hotel that looks out on the yacht harbor and accross the bay to San Francisco. It is quiet, and worth a room with a bay view. It's a about 1/4 mile from the freeway, which is great. It is quiet in general, but the bay view rooms are away from the road so probably the most quiet. It has a lovely lawn area at the back and people on the first floor had patios so they were outside drinking and barbequing and having a great time. People in other rooms higher up would look down and chat, so it was all very friendly. This was the Open (Golf) in San Francisco but the hotel was far enough away that we were able to get a room only a couple of days before our stay. I'm thinking it may be a good place if you don't want to stay in the city, although traffic across the bay bridge can be a pain.

Being Hilton Honors members, we were given passes for a free breakfast buffet. Theirs is wonderful. It had a chef cooking omelets to order, lots of sweet fresh fruit, pasteries, eggs, bacon, sausage, really good oatmeal, and other stuff. It is definitely a wonderful hotel breakfast. I don't know what it costs if you aren't a member, however, and it was sunday so I don't know how that compares to other days as far as quantity of food. I do know it was packed! Since we were having brunch at Skates with family, we just took a little food back to the room to eat on the balcony. It was all excellent.
There is a great restaurant called Skates by the Bay just around the corner where we hadbrunch. There is another restaurant just down the way which also has good food, and near the UC Berkeley campus are lots of great eateries.

Room Tip: I feel the rooms with bay view are worth the extra money. They do get late day sun and can be hot o...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pudditat
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Pudditat~

Thank you very much for taking your time to post a review on Trip Advisor! I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay after a long time away from the hotel.

We appreciate your loyalty to the Hilton Family of Hotels and the benefit of free breakfast is fantastic....and great to know how much you enjoyed our breakfast buffet. Our breakfast buffet is the same offering everyday - we have a Chef creating omlets to order!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards -
Stephanie

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina

Reviewed 19 June 2012

Lobby was beautiful and that's where the positive experience ended! $172 to overlook a parking lot, walls so thin we could have joined in with the people next door. Faucet in shower was broken so luke warm or cold were the choices. And the topper, to use the "free" Wifi you had to sit in the lobby. $9.95 to use the Wifi in the room. Should have gone back to Comfort Inn from the night before!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lorrie G
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Lorrie G ~

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that we failed you during your stay and am sorry that your room did not face the Marina. Only 1/3 of our rooms have a view of the water.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay. Please feel free to give me a call at 510.665.7126.

I look forward to hearing from you.
All the best -

Reviewed 15 June 2012

For family vacations or girl-friend get aways in the San Francisco area, we always stay at this hotel. It is only 10 minutes (tops) into the city. The beds are comfy and the rooms are perfectly adequate for hanging out or coming back to after a day of touring Berkeley, Oakland or San Francisco. It's quiet, the views of the marina, Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate are lovely. There is an adults only indoor swimming pool, spa and work out area. There is also a nice pool area for families with children. The staff has always been very kind and accommodating. Everyone raves about the warm chocolate chip cookies they give you upon check in. They will also give you more if you ask. For this area, and considering the views and parking, we think it's a good value.

Room Tip: We enjoy the view of the Marina and Bay Bridge so we always stay on the second floor of building 3...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheri M
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2012

Greeting Sheri M~

We are delighted to know that you and your girlfriends use our hotel as a meeting place while visiting San Francisco! I agree...we are a great location with easy access to Oakland, Berkeley and San Francisco....
It is great to read that you loved the "warm chocolate chip cookies!"

Thanks for taking your time to post on Trip Advisor. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
All the best -

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel is in a stunning location at the end of a peninsula that juts out into San Francisco Bay. It borders a natural area that is a park on two sides and the views towards San Francisco, Marin County, and San Rafael are wonderful. Immediately behind the hotel there's a lovely marina. So you'd think this place could hardly disappoint, but it does. For one thing, the desk staff is not well organized. We had three rooms reserved and arrived early, but they weren't flexible enough to give us the first rooms available regardless of their location as we repeatedly assured them we'd appreciate. Instead we waited until almost the normal check-in time. Furthermore, this is the sort of upscale hotel that charges for WIFI in its rooms (but provides it free in the lobby). Finally, the place is just starting to look a little shabby. Normally, we could tolerate that, but not at the price. The restaurant is adequate, but nothing special. We've stayed at the Hiltons in Oakland and Walnut Creek/Concord. They are nicer and a better deal.

Room Tip: Try for the second floor facing west to the Marina or north to the park.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Thoughful-Traveler

Dear Thoughful-Traveler~

Thank you for taking your time to post a reivew based on your stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology that you felt our front desk team was not organized. Please know that I did conduct an investigation as to why are unable to check-in early - our hotel was sold out the night prior to your arrival and the housekeeping team was cleaning your three rooms. These were not ready early int the day.
We do extend complimentary internet to our loyal Gold & Diamond members and you are correct, it is complimentary in our lobby, restaurant, lounge & giftshop.
I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you regarding your experience. When time permits, please reach out at 510.665.7126.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards -

Reviewed 12 June 2012

I only stayed 2 nights. Most of my time was spent in San Francisco but we chose this spot because we didn't want to spend San Fran prices :-D
Upon arrival, I thought the place looked nice and it had all the usual amenities that I was used
to for Double Tree. The room itself was decent size and the beds were ok.
Now one of their selling points is their shuttle van which pretty much takes you to
the closest BART station. It's not the most reliable service but get this, the parking there is free.
I do recall on my last day there checking out, I called the front desk to secure my spot in the shuttle before we checked out. The person put me on hold and then told me that they had space and I can come on down. I went down, checked out and walked outside only to see the shuttle drive away. I was very disappointed because if I knew I was going to be ditched, I wouldn't have checked out. I could've just waited in my room until the shuttle was available again. My girlfriend was really mad but is not the confrontational type (thank goodness- lol). Now I'm not going to let this incident influence my rating but I have to let you all know that if you are coming here because you want to visit San Fran, it's best to rent a car and park for free. Then again, the price you pay to rent a car will make up the same difference to pay for a nice hotel downtown San Fran.
It's your call.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear urban_kowboy~

Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor! It is great to see that overall you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

I am sorry that we "ditched" you while trying to take our complimentary shuttle to BART...we do depart on the hour; however our shuttle does depart before the hour if the shuttle is full.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.

Best -