“Has potential but not quite there yet........” 3 of 5 bubbles

DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Radwell
“Has potential but not quite there yet........”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I picked the Double Tree based on TripAdvisor reviews and because room availability was limited at other hotels in the Berkeley area.

The Double Tree at the Berkeley Marina is in good spot near the water with views of San Francisco in the distance on the other side of the bay. The hotel looks as though it was built in the 1980s but is nearing the end of a renovation of all the guest rooms. It looks like they are finishing off some painting work.

The hotel was generally good but there are some issues that need to be improved.

Positives:

I liked being at the Berkeley Marina as it gave me the chance to walk around after a day in the office and look at the views across the bay. I had a good meal at “Skate’s on the Bay” which is a restaurant at the marina. You have to drive into Berkeley as it is not walkable. It takes about 10mins to get to the University campus and the hotel provides a complementary shuttle bus that runs on the hour.

Front desk staff at the hotel were great and check-in was fast and easy. I was in a newly remodeled room which was perfect. Brand new bathroom, furniture, carpet etc. The hotel has also re-decorated all the public areas and put in new flooring.

I ate a couple of meals (dinner) at the hotel. Menu is limited but I enjoyed the food. Our servers were extremely enthusiastic and worked hard.

Areas to improve:

Speed of getting the food out to tables in the restaurant could be improved. It took a good 20mins between our first and second course. It can also be excessively noisy when full – due to high ceilings and a lot of hard surfaces that reflect background chatter back into the room.

The hotel is big and it can be quite a walk to get out to the furthest accommodation buildings. Important to note when booking if you have mobility restrictions. It can also be confusing when walking around the hotel as the corridors in each accommodation building look identical. I am good with following directions, but I got disorientated a couple of times.

The bar – my real disappointment with this hotel. The table service is slow and the bar staff need to take a bit more initiative in addressing the needs of hotel guests. An area of the bar was blocked off on our first evening for a private event between 6-7pm. The area was empty at 7:45pm but the bar staff told us we still could not sit there, even though the rest of the bar was full. We were also told we could not order a bottle of wine with a meal in the bar. We had to order wine by the glass although you could order a bottle in the adjoining room that was the restaurant! The bar service was an irritation and although was not a significant issue, it will factor in the next time I look to stay in Berkeley.

3 Thank NearRadwell
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Greetings NearRadwell~
Thank you very much for your review regarding our hotel! I am delighted to read that you truly enjoyed the hotel with a lot of positive features; however am embarrassed by the service you received from our Bar team - this is unacceptable. We do service bottles of wine upon order in our Lounge....
The hotel is layed out in a "resort style" setting, which does make it a bit of a walk to get to some of the rooms. We do have many guests like the fact that they can park outside the building they are staying in.
Thanks again!
We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest.
Warm regards -
Stephanie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Springfield, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights at the Double Tree Hotel at the Berkeley Marina. This is a nice option if you are in the Berkeley/Oakland area as it is quiet and away from the chaos of downtown streets. The hotel has nice, updated rooms and a pleasant lobby. The restaurant has a great view of the marina and serves an excellent breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the cleaning staff went above and beyond. I have never stayed in such an immaculate room. I would stay at this hotel again. It's a very nice place with excellent service.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear VAJill~
Thank you for your great review about our hotel! It is great to know that you had a fantastic stay!
Come back soon....
Best -
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This hotel was plush!! The buffet was amazing too and free for me because of my elite status with Hilton!

Room Tip: Marina view rooms are nice!!!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Stephanie B, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear VIAboytes~
Thanks for your fantastic review!!! We love our hHonors members and your loyalty.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Warm regards -
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed at the DoubleTree whilst visiting my boyfriend at UC Berkeley. The Shuttle service is excellent for getting around Berkeley campus and the BART station. We stayed in room 4410 which, despite having a view of the car park, was a very large room with high ceilings and a good size bathroom. It was the cheapest room but well worth the money. On my last night I'd arranged to stay in a room with a marina view as I'd booked with Hilton Honours points and it wouldn't let me book all four nights in the cheapest priced room. The hotel were very good to move my bags but when we got in we realised not only was the room (3214 I think) substantially small (erring on the side of tiny) but the floor was on a slant. Not a nice room at all, especially since we were paying more. Thankfully we were able to move back to our old room no problems. If I hadn't seen the smaller room and felt like I was on ship on my last night I would have given this a glowing review but I'd just warn you to check where you're staying and know that having a nice view doesn't necessarily mean having the nicest room.

Room Tip: Pick Building 4 (room 4410 is where I stayed) for a nice high ceilinged room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank porffor
Dear porffor~
Thank you for posting your review regarding your stay with us. We value our guests feedback as use it as a gift for our improvement.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your first room...I like the vaulted ceiling as well and they do make the room feel very large.
When your travels bring you back to visit your boyfirend at UC Berkeley - please give me a call. 510.665.7126
Lons, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed 8 days inthis hotel for conference, In general it was Ok, very nice view on Marina and city. Minus point far from San Francisco / Restaurant, you can however take the free bus shuttle to BART station at North Berkeley or downtown Berkeley.
Breakfast and lunch/ dinner was OK, bit standard, but I suppose this is what we called American Breakfast.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Greetings traw~
Thank you for your review regarding your stay.
We are sorry that you felt the hotel was far from San Francisco - many of our guests prefer to stay with us for our "free" parking vs. paying the high parking prices in the City. As you noted, we do provide a complimentary shuttle to BART which will get you into San Francisco.
We hope you allow us the opportunity to have you as our guest when your travels bring you to the US.
Thanks -