“Average experience”

Indus Village Restaurant
Ranked #271 of 788 Restaurants in Berkeley
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Went there for the first time and tried their Nihari. I would say the Nihari was pretty bad to the point that I did not eat it after a few bites and left after paying my bill. The meat was not soft enough and it did not taste at all like a traditional Nihari. But, this should not mean that the rest of their food would be bad. A lot of people are giving this place good reviews, so I will not generalise and give it the benefit of doubt. Not sure if I will visit this place again.

Reviewed 8 March 2017 via mobile

Really great tasting food. Canteen style setting. Good for a casual lunch. Only issue was that we asked for some appetizers and they were out of them by 2pm!

Reviewed 3 April 2016

My first time trying Pakistani food and my friend had always wanted to try it since it's right across from where we take dance classes. So we gave it a try for lunch. Walked in and it was pretty quiet, only one other table and the place is cozy with comfortable black chairs and murals on the walls. The prices are pretty reasonable as most dishes are under $10.

We started off with the Mango lassi (delish), then the samosas (which aren't on the menu), then we ordered the garlic naan, chicken curry (spicy) and chicken tandoori marsala (mild) with rice. I was already getting full with the samosas which were ok but the crust was thick. I'm not one to like spicy food but I found the food to be mild, and my friend thought the food wasn't hot enough. By the time we left the place was nearly full of customers with only one small table and one large table open. Service was attentive and not rude as other customers have reviewed.

Of course my stomach is sensitive to spices and or garlic but if you like it mildly spicy, with reasonable prices, check it out.

Reviewed 14 March 2016

Ended up here for lunch since Everett & Jones seemed crowded. We went with the combo lunch specials since we really didn't know what to order. Hot naan bread was dipped into the wonderful masala.

Reviewed 21 May 2015

The food is the thing at the Indus Village restaurant. You can always count on great Tandoori dishes, Chicken Tikka Masala, and some of the more obscure Pakistani dishes. The Chana Masala which accompanies the Samosas is always very good, perfectly cooked garbanzo beans and just the right amount of spiciness. The Piyaaz Naan is to die for, always extremely hot, crusty, crispy and doughy, filled with lots of shredded onion, salt and pepper. The rice is always perfectly cooked and spiced with saffron, several different varieties of pepper, caraway seeds, and of course little cardamom bombs. About the only thing on the menu I have found to be disappointing is the Raita. Kind of thin and uninteresting.
The star of the menu is the Tandoori lamb chops. They are spiced to perfection with Tandoori spices. They always come out of the Tandoor slightly charred around the edges, sizzling and absolutely delicious!
The service can sometimes be a bit of a crapshoot. Also it is wise to avoid coming here during the month of Ramadan. The place The service can sometimes be a bit of a crapshoot. Also it is wise to avoid coming here after sunset during the month of Ramadan. There is usually a line out the door.
The decor was vastly improved several years ago when they replaced the original straight back wooden torture chairs with some nice padded ones.