“Old school charm”

Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto
Reserve with OpenTable
Spenger's Fresh Fish Grotto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 762 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: University Ave.
Transit: We are located a few blocks from many AC Transit Bus lines. The closest Bart stations is about 1 mile away.
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Spencer's has been around forever. When you walk in, it's as if you are stepping back in time, with the dark wood, booths and memorabilia. Our waitress was delightful and the food was good. We had the clam chowder which was chock full of clams and not too thick. We also shared the clam appetizer which had a nice broth and was enough for 2 to share. Biggest issue is it kind of smells, which is a bit off putting.

Reviewed 13 December 2017

The area around the restaurant is industrial and not inviting, however when you come inside it is a different world of beautiful place and good food. Full bar with great drinks is a plus too.

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Smooth, buttery and chunks of lobster. I guess it was my lucky day. The sea bass was good but I've had better. The crab cakes were delicious.

I would go back and try something different the next time.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

It has been years since I have eaten here. In many ways it has not changed a bit. I love the ambiance. We started with shrimp and crab cakes. I could eat meal after meal of these delicious cakes. The cakes came with a spectacular corn salsa that would make a killer fish taco. The negative, I ordered fish and chips. The breading was too thick, too dry, and over powered the fish - what little fish there was. Tarter sauce had way more mayonnaise than necessary. The chip (fries) were good when hot but as they cooled they turned limp and soggy. My wife enjoyed the cedar plank salmon. The best part of our experience was our waitress. She was the greatest. I will probably go back to Spenger’s but there are so many good restaurants in Berkeley that it might be a few years before I return.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

There is so much wrong with out dinner experience. It was miss after miss. We asked ahead of time for a quiet table given my mother's hearing aids. They initially sat us under one of the speakers for the music. We needed to walk the entire dining room to find a quiet table and then move there. Our waiter didn't know the menu. We repeatedly asked for items that were listed on the menu and he was surprised that they were there. We repeatedly needed to ask for our water to be refilled. Also, I really like cioppino. However, the cioppino at Spengers was probably the worst that I've ever had. The broth had no flavor of any interest. The seafood was merely OK. To top it off, even though I ate the meal, I walked away hungry. Yes, I'm seriously saying that the food was not good and that there was too little of it. With all of that, it was still pretty expensive ($33). I would not come back here.