“Bad customer service...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
New York City, New York
“Bad customer service...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

Whereas the reviews are correct the Super 8 Berkeley is a quaint establishment that serves its purpose. However, I was unhappy with the customer service, it all began when I arrived. I arrived around 12:00 AM since I caught the last flight out, to say the least I was tired and was expecting to be greeted in a professional fashion. First off I rang the night bell several times before I was buzzed in by a gentleman who was in his sleeping gear, (that did not bother me as it was late and this was not a five star establishment).

What bothered me was the fact that he hastily asked for my identification and credit card without greeting me. Then he proceeded to take me through the regular hotel protocols in a hurried fashion, whatever questions I did have for him at the time were washed away when I felt rushed out. I asked him to direct me to the location of my room and he said "just go outside you'll see it". The room was more than adequate nice and sweet with all the amenities that are listed below. The room was cleaned thoroughly twice, overall it was clean and a well kept establishment.

Fast forward to the day I was due to leave, as I was walking out of my room at 10:59 AM (check out time is 11:00 AM), I hear the phone ring as such the case I did not answer it as I had a feeling it was the front desk. When I arrived there I viewed the gentleman proceeded to put the phone down and asked if I was ready to check out. Apparently they wanted me out of the hotel as fast as possible. He promptly took my key and, after a few awkward moments I asked if it that'd be all and he stated yes, never asked if I needed a receipt or anything of that sort just said, not even a good bye, all I received was a nod.

I will not be visiting this establishment when I visit the East Bay again. Horrible customer service!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank Jason A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Fort Jones, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Clean, quiet rooms, and courteous, helpful staff. Bathrooms look brand new. Bed and pillows were very comfortable. Near BART, University of California and good restaurants. Easy to find. No beter place to stay in Berkeley that is so affordable.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Every guest that drives through and lays their heads on our pillows will always come back again and experience the magic. We provide excellent serice and give good hospitaility to each guest, becasue we want to see the SUPER SMILE on their faces when they leave us. Please come back and let us give you the same excellenct treatment again,

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Very good Super 8, especially for the price. The bathroom has been refurbished with top-notch materials, making it very clean. The room is relatively small, but who needs space for such a short stay? The front office was very helpful since I had forgotten my toothbrush and razor. They were able to give me new ones without any problem.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for enjoying your stay with us at the Super 8 and enjoying the bathrooms. We did a full renovation and we put a lof of love and passion into it- it give motivation to do even better when guest like yourself enjoys the magic at our motel.

Jackson, Wyoming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here 3 nights, visiting my daughter in Berkeley. Not only did this Super 8 get good reviews from other TripAdvisors, it is only a block to her apartment (which won't matter to you, of course). Big *very* comfortable queen-size bed, extra pillows, microwave and fridge, cultured stone countertop and floors in the bathroom, nicely painted color scheme on the walls; this place is way nicer than the typical Super 8. The wireless internet worked fine for us. Don't know if there was a continental breakfast included, the front desk didn't mention it when we checked in and we had our own anyway. Some minor downsides: the room was smallish, the heat/AC unit noisy, and the front door drafty... nothing we couldn't live with. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RangeviewRay
Thanks for taking the time out and giving us good reviews. Thanks for being part of the Super 8 family and we promise to live up to our good name each time you come back thanks. Take care of yourself and please come again to the magical motel.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

I recently spent 5 days in Berkeley and was pleasantly surprised to have such a great experience at the Super 8. It was as described on the web - newly refurbished with nice furnishing, flat screen TV and really nice bathroom - the shower was wonderful. The room was very clean and the maids kept it that way. I had a problem with the remote control to the TV and the staff was responsive, resolving the problem right away. The location was great as well - close to the Bart, Trader Joe's and lots of great restaurants. Will come back here on my next trip to Berkeley.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Onnolee O
We at the SUPER 8 are very excited to hear about your stay, thanks from the bottom ofour hearts! Thanks for expereicing the magic at the Super 8. Please come back we srive to give wonderful service. It puts a smile on our faces when we hear our super 8 member had a good stay! please come again