“Charming B&B in Berkeley Hills..” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mary's Bed and Breakfast

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 8 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, PA
“Charming B&B in Berkeley Hills..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2010

We have stayed at Marys over the years and always enjoy the quiet location and beautiful neighborhood. Mary is very accomodating and a great host. The only negatives are the following: the home is in need of updating (bathrooms, paint), the breakfast is lacking substance (we found that several times we ate breakfast out). Also, we rented a car, but if someone didn't they wouldn't be close enough to public transportation, just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PA2010_10
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

I chose Mary's based on the many positive Trip Advisor reviews. I don’t disagree with those reviews, but one thing that no one else has mentioned is that the doors to the guests' rooms do not lock--at all! There is not even a button lock or a chain lock. Mary, while very nice, did not seem to understand why this was a problem. When I stay in a hotel or bed and breakfast, I expect the door to have a deadbolt for my privacy, safety, and so I can store my belongings securely while I go out and explore the city. If I hadn't been staying with my husband, I would have had to leave and forfeit my $150 prepaid night because I wouldn't have felt safe sleeping in an unlocked room in an unfamiliar place by myself. Mary's is located in a safe neighborhood, but basic standards of decency still dictate that guests' doors should lock. I did not like having to choose between leaving my laptop, camera, etc. in an unlocked room during the day while I was gone or in my car in a parking garage in downtown Berkeley (not known for its safety). The non-locking door was also really not ideal considering that we were on our honeymoon. If the lack of a locking door does not bother you, Mary's has many good things going for it. It was almost dead quiet, our room (the pink room) was huge, the closet was large, everything was very clean and our bed was remade while we were out. The home is maybe 100 years old and has a lot of character. The only downsides to that were no screens on the windows (we had to kill two large spiders that crept in), there is no air conditioning (but there are plenty of windows and a large fan), and the bathroom sink was hard to use because the hot and cold water came out of two separate faucets and did not mix. Also, while there were plenty of pillows and the bedding was very soft, the bed itself was quite uncomfortable. The place is not within close walking distance of the Berkeley campus or downtown college joints (Google Maps said 40 minutes) so we had to drive into town and park in a garage, but it was a very short drive and even with parking fees we still saved a little bit of money over staying in town. We did not eat the breakfast so I can't comment on that. Overall, my husband and I felt that Mary's is a lovely place but with a major flaw (no locks) that would prevent us from going back.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Lorelai2
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

We visited the Bay Area for a family memorial, and decided to stay at a B&B rather than a hotel/motel. Mary made us glad we did! Her home turns 100 years old this year, but it is solid and lovely beyond description. There are three rooms on the top floor (only one flight up), each with its own bathroom and many windows letting in light and cool air. Coming from the hot summer in Texas, it was a special treat to sleep with the windows open and to feel the cool air around us! Breakfast was well-made coffee, nourishing cereals and fruit, yogurt, and an assortment of breads for toasting, with butter and jam. Our hostess was friendly, and helpful with details about the area as we needed them. We would go back if the opportunity arises. Jay and Jeanine Brim

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

This is our new favorite place to stay in the Oakland area. We really don't want to praise it too highly because we want it to be available for our future visits. Mary was delightful and we enjoyed her occasional visits. The apartment we occupied was extremely spacious, beautifully decorated - very comfortable & calming . The huge deck was a bonus for many meals and naps since the weather was absolutely perfect. We enjoyed all the greenery and flowers, not only at Mary's, but also throughout the neighborhood on our many walks. The location was ideal for quick trips to the College/Claremont & Berkeley shopping districts. We also enjoyed an incredible breakfast at the Meritage Restaurant in the Claremont Resort, just a short walk away.
Although a bit concerned about our 90 year young mother being able to manuver walking up & down the steep driveway she was able to manage the brick steps as an alternative. We give the shower a "10". Kitchen was perfect and well stocked! We turned the TV on once to watch basketball finals, but then back off again since the peace of the house and neighborhood was more enjoyable.
Thank you, Mary, for a memorable experience and we hope to return soon!

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank peelypaint
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2010

My partner & I rented the apartment at Mary’s B&B for 9 days in order to have a "base" from which to help my daughter & son-in-law with last minute preparations for a big party to celebrate their recent marriage. As well, my mother stayed in the pink garden room for 4 days. Our stay was everything we'd hoped for and more.

The apartment is light-filled, spacious, and wonderfully, comfortably furnished. It opens up on to a large deck — complete with patio furniture — overlooking a handsome garden space. The office space and wireless internet access gave us everything we needed to feel completely at home. We used the kitchen extensively to bake pies for the celebration and cook for a large party we hosted one evening for family & close friends (30+ people, including children.)

The apartment worked to perfection for our party. Everyone commented throughout the evening about the welcoming feeling of the space. Even had the weather not invited most of our guests to congregate on the deck, the inside spaces would have accommodated all of us comfortably.

Mary, the innkeeper, is wonderful — unobtrusive, yet available and accommodating. She made my 80 year-old mother most welcome and even supplied us with serving platters for our family party.

One of the best features of Mary’s place is the location. It is just minutes away from all the best places in the East Bay, has easy access to the major arterials and freeways, and the neighborhood is simply beautiful.

If you are looking for a place to tuck into and call home while in the East Bay, Mary’s B&B on Alvarado Road is perfect. Really.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family