6,871 results
All reviews jerk chicken montego bay swim up bar asian restaurant every other day entertainment staff jerk hut michael jackson show buffet style close to the airport rose hall mini bar main buffet paddle boats food was great dunns river red stripe
Reviewed 15 December 2015

Overall the resort was...just okay. I have stayed at several Riu's before and I can quite honestly say that this one did not live up to Riu standards. I will start with the GOOD: the grounds are very well kept, the staff are friendly and do a great job of keeping things clean and the drinks are cold. BAD: there is absolutely NO table service on this resort. As we were travelling as a group of 10, trips to the bar generally took 3 of us as the staff refused to loan us a tray to carry them. The beach has a clay base which comes up through the sand so most of the time we had a layer of "muck" similar to dog poop on the bottom of our feet. Food was okay but nothing to write home about. Many times they ran short or it was cold. However we did have one decent meal at the Steakhouse. UGLY: we booked a catamaran trip with our whole group. Rather than cancel the trip due to poor weather, we travelled at a high rate of speed from point A to point B. Many on the trip were throwing up due to the speed and waves. Not a relaxing party trip for any of us. My husband booked scuba diving and it was cancelled due to weather (not the resorts fault of course) but they refused to refund his money and we were forced to use a gift certificate instead. We also booked the Bob Marley trip. It was to leave at 8:45am. We were in the foyer in plenty of time. And we waited...and waited. Turns out the Sunwing rep had put the correct day (Fri) but the wrong date (28th) on the slip. I asked to have my money refunded but they tried the gift certificate thing. I refused to leave the desk until I got my money back. It took almost 3 hours for this to happen. I am not a fussy traveller by any means, but the reviews of this resort were accurate. I would not suggest it.

Date of stay: November 2015
3  Thank PamPortFranksOntario
RiuHotelsandResorts, Online Reputation Manager at Hotel Riu Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2015

Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing RIU Hotels and Resorts once again for your vacation. We appreciate your positive comments about our hotel’s cleanliness.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. I have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of guest service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Hotel Riu Montego Bay
Online Reputation Manager

Reviewed 15 December 2015

2nd Visit back to this locations, our first visit was in 2012 it was beautiful and still is, just needs some up keep. Not as friendly this time around, but they were booked. The buffet got smaller choices of food as well, but still good. The ocean is still merkie and muckie.

If it was not for the ocean this would be our #1, but 2nd time around didn't thrill me also less going on at the resort again they were booked maybe that is why but always a good time and nice weather.

Date of stay: May 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2015

From the onset i must say i have stayed in nicer places......and paid nicer places money. Don't go thinking i'm trying to say it was not nice because it was. But, we all know "Nice" comes in various categories. I try and focus on what ive spent and what i got.

Rooms were clean, and indeed cleaned perfectly everyday by the great friendly staff. Pool clean great bar staff...no issues. Restaurants were fine, plenty of food great choice. not mind blowing food but not mind blowing money either.

Entertainment every night and some during the day. All was fine.

The staff and service gave a great account of themselves this much is clear. Always (Always) a smile and nothing too much effort. A few bucks here and there works wonders. I don't begrudge the staff a penny of theeir tips, they work hard.

Don't go reading too much into to some of the negative reviews. It makes you wonder at times just what people expect.

value for money 10 out of 10.

No complaints only positive feedback.

Regards to all involved.

Date of stay: October 2015
5  Thank Marquee1
Reviewed 15 December 2015

Just returned yesterday from a wonderful vacation at the RIU Montego Bay... the staff was wonderful.. shout out to Damon and the many others who entertained us nightly, and went out of their way to assist any way they could.... as well as Geoffrey the mini bar attendant for our room who made sure we were taken care of. The resort was clean and the food was exactly as expected... The resort goes out of its way to make sure that each guest is having a great time.. however there will always be those folks who will never be happy with out "complaining of something"... we met a lot of wonderful people during our 5 day stay... and everyone was very happy. I will definitely return...

Cheryl, Daytona Beach, Florida

Room tip: Rooms in buildings 5 and 6 are closest to the beach
Date of stay: November 2015
2  Thank Cheryl252
Reviewed 14 December 2015 via mobile

All my experience here was awesome. Just the dinosaur looking mosquitoes were a problem. All the staff was great,di food did gud. Do place well clean and ting and ting. The beach border patrol was funny locals can't come out of the water when trying to sell to tourists.

Date of stay: October 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dee D