“Solid business hotel, restaurant overstated”
Review of Hotel San Martin

Hotel San Martin
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Popayan
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

If an onsite restaurant is important to you, this is not the place for you. There was only a bar with snacks next door and a small sweets and cold beverages kiosk in the hotel, both which closed at 8pm on the Sunday night we were there. The bed had crunchy dust mite covers on the pillows and the duvet didn't have a cover.

On the positive: the room was spacious and well laid out, gym well stocked and the shower was rain head style. At breakfast they will make your eggs to order.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2016

I was only in the Hotel San Martin for two nights. It was ok, certainly nothing fancy or special, but provided a clean room and was (relatively) quiet. I suppose if you keep your expectations in check, you'll find this a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Prior to visiting this hotel I took the time to read the reviews from previous guests. According to Expedia and other websites Hotel San Martin was rated fourth best hotel in Popayan. The first three best rated hotels were all booked. With this said I booked my stay at Hotel San Martin. First of all to my surprise, Expedia charged more for my hotel stay than if I would have booked directly with the hotel; a difference of about twenty dollars. Being that said I was disappointed with Expedia which is a separate issue for a review. Now I will continue to comment about Hotel San Martin.

The hotel looks great from the outside, (street view). Once you enter the hotel I was greeted by a courteous staff. I noticed that portions of the exteriorof the hotel, (viewed from the interior of the hotel), needed painting. I stayed on the fourth floor of tower #1. My room faced directly to the main highway/road which leads to, and out of the city. The room was warm and without air conditioning. There was not even a fan to cool the room. I opened the window which allowed the cool breeze along with the extreme noise to infiltrate the room. There was only one towel in the room. When I called room service to request more towels I waited fifteen minutes to receive the needed towels. The towels I was handed were not the standard hotel towels. They were thin, and of poor quality. The mini bar was not properly stocked. When I inquired why the mini-bar was not properly stocked I was told they had not received the needed products. Needles to say the first night was horrible; I did not sleep well due to the street noise and warmth of the room.

The second day I went on a city tour, and when I returned with my vehicle I had to wait fifteen minutes for security to respond and open the gate for me. I was extremely tired and wanted to get my long awaited rest. I requested a room fan. The service was great; I received the fan within five minutes. Once I turned on the fan, the noise emanating was as loud if not louder the the street noise!!! The next day I was glad to leave the bad experience of my hotel stay.

If you stay at this hotel I recommend you request a room in tower #2 which is away from the street. The service provided by the staff is extremely professional, and friendly. They are not to blame for the issues which the management, and or owners of the hotel have failed to improve.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJ532
Reviewed 4 August 2016

The hotel is the best around this medium size town, it has all qualities from a high quality hotel. The room as spacious, a bit noisy due to it being in front of a major avenue. The people are courteous and willing to help. good restaurant is on the foirst floor with good drinks and well prepared dishes. will repeat this hotel when I get back...!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

I found it a little expensive but they offer a really good breakfast and the rooms are comfortable, I hated the showers and there is a nightclub that I found very disturbing because the music is very loud and you can hear it from your room. Parking is a nightmare

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Travellers also viewed these Popayan hotels
1.4 km away
0.4 km away
Hotel Popayan Inn
Hotel Popayan Inn
#4 of 15 in Popayan

Been to Hotel San Martin? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Additional Information about Hotel San Martin

Address: Carrera 9 # 18N-40 | Corner - Opposite la glorieta de Antonio Nariño, Popayan, Colombia
Region: Colombia > Cauca Department > Popayan
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free Breakfast Free Parking Kitchenette Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Popayan
Price Range: ₹ 4,858 - ₹ 9,456 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Hotel San Martin 3.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Expedia so you can book your Hotel San Martin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.