See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 November 2016

I was only in the Hotel San Martin for two nights. It was ok, certainly nothing fancy or special, but provided a clean room and was (relatively) quiet. I suppose if you keep your expectations in check, you'll find this a good place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

Prior to visiting this hotel I took the time to read the reviews from previous guests. According to Expedia and other websites Hotel San Martin was rated fourth best hotel in Popayan. The first three best rated hotels were all booked. With this said I booked my stay at Hotel San Martin. First of all to my surprise, Expedia charged more for my hotel stay than if I would have booked directly with the hotel; a difference of about twenty dollars. Being that said I was disappointed with Expedia which is a separate issue for a review. Now I will continue to comment about Hotel San Martin.

The hotel looks great from the outside, (street view). Once you enter the hotel I was greeted by a courteous staff. I noticed that portions of the exteriorof the hotel, (viewed from the interior of the hotel), needed painting. I stayed on the fourth floor of tower #1. My room faced directly to the main highway/road which leads to, and out of the city. The room was warm and without air conditioning. There was not even a fan to cool the room. I opened the window which allowed the cool breeze along with the extreme noise to infiltrate the room. There was only one towel in the room. When I called room service to request more towels I waited fifteen minutes to receive the needed towels. The towels I was handed were not the standard hotel towels. They were thin, and of poor quality. The mini bar was not properly stocked. When I inquired why the mini-bar was not properly stocked I was told they had not received the needed products. Needles to say the first night was horrible; I did not sleep well due to the street noise and warmth of the room.

The second day I went on a city tour, and when I returned with my vehicle I had to wait fifteen minutes for security to respond and open the gate for me. I was extremely tired and wanted to get my long awaited rest. I requested a room fan. The service was great; I received the fan within five minutes. Once I turned on the fan, the noise emanating was as loud if not louder the the street noise!!! The next day I was glad to leave the bad experience of my hotel stay.

If you stay at this hotel I recommend you request a room in tower #2 which is away from the street. The service provided by the staff is extremely professional, and friendly. They are not to blame for the issues which the management, and or owners of the hotel have failed to improve.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJ532
Reviewed 4 August 2016

The hotel is the best around this medium size town, it has all qualities from a high quality hotel. The room as spacious, a bit noisy due to it being in front of a major avenue. The people are courteous and willing to help. good restaurant is on the foirst floor with good drinks and well prepared dishes. will repeat this hotel when I get back...!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 May 2016 via mobile

I found it a little expensive but they offer a really good breakfast and the rooms are comfortable, I hated the showers and there is a nightclub that I found very disturbing because the music is very loud and you can hear it from your room. Parking is a nightmare

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is probably the newest hotel in the city. It’s away from the Center but since the town is so small it’s easy to get anywhere from the hotel.

All the employees we met are super nice and helpful. Some speak a little English.

For me a quiet night is very important and at this hotel you won’t find that. The hotel is right on the main road that goes through town. The street traffic is not too bad however there are clubs on either side of the hotel and you will hear the noise from the clubs while they’re open and the partying in the street after the clubs close. We asked for a fan which created white noise and for the most part eliminated the club noise. The club on the east side (towards the mall) is much louder so we asked to be moved to the west side which is better.

The pools are nice but we had to ask to have them cleaned. The pool deck surface is as slippery as ice when it gets wet so take a lot of care when walking around the pools.

The rooms are nice with good TV, shower with plenty of hot water, mini-fridge, and breakfast is included.

We visit Popayan at least once a year and we usually stay in the Center but since the streets are being re-built we found San Martin. In the future we will most likely be calling this our Popayan home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are quieter
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family