“Gone are the good ol' days!!”
Review of Hotel Pema Thang

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dharamsala
Hotel Pema Thang
Ranked #17 of 148 Dharamsala B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Used to be a good Guest House with helpful staff ... staff is still good but the place is falling apart. Rooms suck!! Broken W/Cs. Mattress that's bound to give you a back ache!! Bad bed linen. No maintenance happening. Guess the owner is just busy making money and not investing any money on the property. Used to be known for their pizzas but they suck big time now. Dry and burnt crust, tasteless cheese and passable tomato base!!
I'd say give it a pass!!

Room Tip: Passable ... go in for a newer property!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Ajax_AD
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Overall, I was really happy with this hotel. I did not stay in the main building...I was in a little cabin lower down. It was very clean and spacious and, based on other hotels I looked at in McLeod Ganj, I think it was a very good deal (apx. 550 rupees/night). My only complaint is that during rainy times the room was very damp and a bit musty...so maybe not the best room during monsoon season (but I'm sure the rooms higher up would be fine all year). The staff were very friendly and helpful and it was convenient having the restaurant right there. I like the location - very close to everything yet off the main streets so more peaceful.

Room Tip: If it's dry season then ask about the cabin lower down - this room was great and much cheaper.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank glowingheart77
Reviewed 29 June 2011

I was inspired to write a review of Hotel Pema Thang not only because I had such a peaceful and pleasant time staying there, but also as a response to SamanaYorkUK's previous review, which I find to be completely unfounded.

In all my years of travel, I have stayed at few guest houses that have a staff that is as friendly and warm as the staff at Pema Thang. Most of the Tibetan I learned to speak I learned from them as they patiently instructed me during their breaks and off hours and every morning and night they greeted us with warm smiles, conversation and helpful travel advice that was always completely accurate. We were staying there as a part of a group, so I had abundant opportunity to see the view from many rooms and they were all extraordinary. Many of you will also love the fact that Pema Thang is situated on a quiet wooded hilltop that is very accessible, but far enough from the main roads that none of the honking cars can be heard.

The simple fact that Samana refers to the prayer flags that obstructed their view as "childish" should tell you a lot about their attitude and character. My only complaint is that we were staying at Pema Thang at the same time as the complaining couple below. From the unfortunately constant look of disapproval on their faces, I can assure you they have never been happy anywhere. As a regular traveler, it is a curious phenomenon that the "Ugly American," seems to no longer be American. On numerous occasions I witnessed the staff do an amazing job at remaining calm, compassionate and profession as Samana was verbally abusive and threatening. It is ironic that the attributes he ascribes to the staff are in fact his attributes and not theirs.

There are many guest houses in Mcleod Ganj (upper Dharamsala) to choose from, but for a perfect balance between cost, quality, friendliness and location, my opinion is that Pema Thang is the best. If you plan on visiting Mcleod Ganj, you owe it to yourself to pay them a visit and see for yourself.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank kestreltx
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My wife and I went to stay there for three weeks and regretted every moment of our stay for these reasons--
The views of the Kangra valley were totally obscured by raggedy dirty prayer flags cluttering up the trees(in my opinion a childish religious gesture)
The Kitchen staff were surly and antagonistic--
The first morning I phoned down to the kitchen to ask for breakfast to be sent up only to be told that they were not doing room service at all then the phone was hung up --I went down to ask why room service was advertised only to be dismissed by threatening gestures from the large agressive Tibetan youth in charge of the kitchen.
When I then went and complained to the Hotel manager he told me that the kitchen had a separate managment that he had NO authority at all over--then he told me that the so-called room service would cost 20 rs each time(if they consented to do it all)
We then took ALL our meals elsewhere(Nicks mainly--pleasant and willing service--excellent food)--Our room opened onto a courtyard where a 20 person Yoga class(with chanting and loud lecture started at 7am each day)--far too early to be forcibly woken up for us-we were on holiday.
Room cleaning was pathetic-only if we asked.
The owner(female) came along on the second day and it was obvious that she could not control the kitchen staff--apologies aside she should have trained her staff to be pleasant and well mannered towards guests--which none of them wewre--not even the Hotel manager!
We would advise anyone never to stay there ever.
We would NEVER stay there again--even for free!!

Room Tip: Find a different Hotel(Hotel Tibet possibly)
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SamanaYorkUK
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Pema thang is the best guest house if you are looking for traditional tibetan hospitality!
The rooms are very sweet, clean, with nice decor comfortable furniture and attached bathrooms with shower. The balconys that have gorgeous views, overlooking the temple of the dalai lama, lush trees and varying mountain ranges. On a clear day you can see down into the kangra valley. if you get the top floor the views are much better but even so whatever room you book there is a pleasant view. The restaurant is very sociable and friendly and i also love the decor but especially the tibetan food. Pishe and thukpa and the famous bean stew. All delicious and the staff are good. The retaurant manager is happy to serve you with a smile which is wonderful! And room service in the rain is great. We can only highly recommend this lovely warm place it has a very special vibe it is full of love with very nice guests, staff and two friendly old dogs who we adore and caring owners. What more can we ask for? A big thankyou to everyone who has made us feel welcome and happy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple