“Fantastic location and incredible service”
Review of Bwindi Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Bwindi Lodge
Switzerland
“Fantastic location and incredible service”
Reviewed 18 November 2009

Volcanoes Bwindi Lodge has a breathtaking location. The views from the main area and the individual bandas are stunning. It is an eco-friendly lodge, which may take some getting used to, but isn't really a hassle given the environmental benefits. Of all the places we stayed at in Uganda, this lodge had the best service. The staff were friendly and paid attention to the details (including a hot water bottle to warm the bed). The food was excellent, especially given the remote location. I'd commented on a beautifully carved box in the main area, and the staff arranged for one of their colleagues to pick up a similar box in Kampala for me, which was really nice of them. I'd highly recommend this lodge (and the company Volcanoes Safaris).

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 October 2009

At first glance, this was the best Volcanoes Eco-Lodge we stayed in, out of the 3 of them. The scenery is breathtaking, the rooms are spacious with lots of natural light, the bathrooms are nice - spa like eco-shower anyone?, and the common areas are gorgeous - fireplace, huge stone veranda overlooking Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and plenty of sitting options to gaze at your beautiful surroundings. We walked the nature trail down to the river in hopes of seeing Gorillas because they are known to show up and hang out by the water. Breakfast was very good every morning - perfectly brewed coffee, if you prefer it stronger than most or weak, ask and you shall receive, nicely toasted breads (with Nutella), tasty hot porridge, amazingly sweet fruits and freshly-squeeze passion fruit juice, and the eggs are almost shocking yellow-orange because they are so fresh. As for dinner, I wasn't so impressed but I don't eat meat and the cooks didn't know how to accommodate a vegetarian. I found out later that if I let them know before hand that I was fine eating local food, they would have served me what they eat, which is mostly vegetarian. Instead they tried to make food for a Westerner and didn't know what to make for me, aside from overcooked veggies. But the homemade soup and fresh rolls were perfect every night.

As with all Volcanoes Lodges, they are powered by solar electricity and use environmentally friendly practices, i.e. no running water. But these lodges do not lack in comfort or service. The staff is super friendly and so very accommodating. At night they will escort you back to your room with a lantern and they are happy to share stories with you about their surroundings. But beware of the cockroaches that will happily greet you upon arrival in your room at night. Keep in mind you are in an eco-lodge, in the jungle, by the equator so bugs could be part of your experience. I wasn't prepared for this because somehow, I just didn't think bugs would be IN my room so I screamed a little bit when there were 6 very large cockroaches on the wall of our beautiful little hut like room. The first night, I wasn't able to sleep because I was so freaked out. I highly recommend using ear plugs in this place b/c the sounds of nature at night are loud and could interfere with your sleep especially if you are afraid of bugs (like myself) and think every noise is a bug coming to get you! But the second night there was only 1 bug in our room and I took a sleeping pill, and slept through the night.

I also recommend going through your bag like a fine tooth comb in the morning outside on your deck because these bugs will gladly hitch a ride home with you. I shook 3 of them out of various bags (including the toiletry bag) but one of the girls we met while traveling brought one home with her, all the way to Missouri!! Aside, from the bugs, the lodge is gorgeous, the staff is hospitable, and you can't beat the surroundings. But it would be nice to have some bug spray on hand!!

For photos from the trip check out our Flikr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitsujmai/
If you have any questions about this property or others in Rwanda and Uganda or gorilla tracking, please feel free to contact me. I HIGHLY recommend traveling with Volcanoes Safaris for gorilla tracking, they are local and really know how to make your trip a once in a lifetime experience!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TravelGirlBetsy
London, UK
Reviewed 18 September 2009

Bwindi Lodge was fantastic. Beautiful setting, very comfortable room and excellent food. Everyone on the Bwindi staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They made you feel very much at home. The lounge area is a great place to relax and admire the view of the Impenetrable Forest. The bird-watching on the grounds of the lodge was superb. We saw a huge variety of birds just sitting on our front porch. The lodge property extends down to a river and there is a very nice walking loop. We only have 1 minor complaint about the lodge. Our drinks were included in our package, however, one evening we invited some friends from another lodge over for a drink. We were shocked to find that a beer or a glass of wine was $7.50. That seems wildly excessive. Drink prices aside, we would have been happy to stay at Bwindi another couple of weeks. One suggestion - there is an orphange about 5 minutes away and at 5pm every day the children put on a song and dance show. It is really quite good and highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank R A
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 June 2009

As part of my tour with Volcanos Safaris I stayed at this lodge for 3 nights. I was blown away by the setting, sitting on my verandah I gazed out a large mountain covered in thick rainforest. It had been raining the first day and I watched clouds of mist come up from the ground and swirl up through the trees to the tops of the mountains,amazing. So very beautiful, saw amazing birds ( again I ended up with photos of bushes where moments before there had been a beautiful bird !), a lizard with a peacock blue head.
The staff here were just fantastic. I was travelling alone and they could not have been kinder or more thoughtful to me. They all made the effort to spend time with me and keep me company and took such lengths to make me comfortable, all such lovely guys.
Even when Amron brought me my coffee to my banda, the tray was beautifully decorated with fresh flowers, I really appreciated the thoughtfulness.
The lodge, an eco lodge, was charming and pretty, lots of stone and wood, full of character. Composting toilets were fine and they do not smell at all. A large bag filled with perfect temperature water was adequate for the shower and lasted long enough to wash long hair etc.
My room was large bed firm but comfortable, very cosy with hot water bottles put in your bed before you get there.
Food was delicious and served with finesse and professionalism, thank you Alex.
I was here to go gorilla trekking and yes, to see these magical creatures, I was in awe. What an experience. Sometimes the gorillas come close to the lodge and wander in the forest below, but I was not lucky enough to see that.
I lovely lodge, thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Michigan
Reviewed 15 April 2009

Bwindi Lodge was the first of three stays for us with Volcanoes Safaris. We chose Volcanoes purposely because of the eco-lodges. In travelling to Rwanda and Uganda to see the mountain gorilla's, we wanted to respect the territory and country we travelled in. We read all of Volcanoes materials so knew that we weren't going to experience traditional five star treatment. What we did experience was star treatment! The environment at the property was totally relaxing. We were greeted by friendly staff and acclimated to the property. We took advantage of the river walk with a guide, utilized the common areas, ate delicious fresh, local foods and beverages, and ventured out on our own for a community walk. The community members were very welcoming and we were impressed by the businesses in the area - the number of cooperative shops selling locally made goods, fruits and vegetables, etc. Try to see the performance by students at the local orphanage that takes place in the community most evenings. It should go without saying that the gorilla trekking was extremely well organized and coordinated with staff at Bwindi in preparation of lunch boxes and snacks. The banda's were absolutely delightful with ample front porches overlooking the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. We spent several hours seated out there in the afternoon and evening sipping beer or coffee, watching a parade of birds fly by. The accomodations are quite simple, but more than ample. It was refreshing to be reminded of how little it takes to be comfortable in our daily lives. The beds were large, warm blankets were provided and the water bottle at night a surprising treat! We felt safe at all times and would recommend this to anyone considering visiting the area. Being awakened at 6:00 am to start your day while on vacation was made easier by the delivery of hot coffee in the morning at a pre-arranged hour!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family