“Really, really is the best kept secret!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Royal Palms
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in South Hill
Morristown, NJ
“Really, really is the best kept secret!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2008

With about 3 weeks notice that Jimmy Buffet was playing a small charity concert in Anguilla, I was determined to get my parents (parrot-heads) and siblings there to see the show. Anguilla, being a tiny island hosting a popular event, didn't seem to have a hotel room left. I had scoured the internet for options without luck, and finally called the Chamber of Commerce in Anguilla (which I'm pretty sure is a one-man operation). The person there referred me to the Royal Palms which had several rooms open!
I was concerned as to why everything was booked, but the Royal Palms, and then I became a bit more concerned because when I compared the price of the Royal Palms to the prices of the sold out hotels. It was SUCH a deal--almost too good to be true.
Well, it turns out it wasn't too good to be true at all. It was fabulous. The 3 level pink building, had six villas and a pool. Everything was shiny and new. The building is not waterfront, but on a hill and had a very clear view of the ocean, and neighboring island St. Marten. Our unit had a master bedroom with bath, and an additional bedroom with another bathroom. There was a sizable living/dining/kitchen area, and then a very sizable balcony with table that sat 4 and a chase lounge.
The property manager arranged to have a driver pick us up from the dock and gave us a warm welcome on arrival. We actually had one additional person come with us and when she learned this she had another bed brought into the unit immediately. We were even offered a personal tour of the island by her--although my Philly based parents were overwhelmed by her island friendliness (which I thought was great) and declined.
We were able to rent a car that was owned by the villa, although it was pretty terrible. Rusty, and the auto lock was broken so every 5 seconds you would hear "click!" which got annoying. However, it did get us around the island without a problem which was all we really needed I guess.
The concert was held at Bankie Banks Dune Preserve which ending up only being a 3 minute drive from our villa. Bankie is a Caribbean reggae favorite and hosts several musical events there through the year. Also pretty close was the Sandy Ground Village which had several dining options, and is where we picked up our sailing charter on "The Chocolat" which was probably the highlight of the trip, and not the Jimmy Buffet concert.
If you are staying in Anguilla I would highly recommend The Royal Palms. Especially for a family because the unit which accommodates 5 or 6 is far less expensive that most of the hotels and possibly twice as nice.
The only thing I would warn about in general (an praise Anguilla for at the same time) is that Anguilla is a very very rustic island. My parents whom are more partial to cruises, Disney and other staged environments, were a little out of their comfort zone. The roads are 95% dirt, at night it is dark and much of the island is genuine wilderness and a little rough looking. On the other hand, the beaches are pristine and a genuine paradise. Bring your own snorkel set and go anywhere along the coast and your will find yourself surrounded by tons of tropical fish. Their are numerous places on the beach, especially around shoal bay, that have great cabanas for rental (like 5 to 10 dollars for a day) and bar service with restroom facilities. We lounged under straw thatched umbrellas, drank rum punch and walked along sand that it looked like no one else had ever walked on...

• Liked — The view from the balcony
  • Disliked — The shabby rental vehicle
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Check-in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
7 Thank 12102012q
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2007

My husband and I, and my sister and her husband stayed for a long weekend at the Royal Palms. I did not expect such a pleasent experience. I call them condo's, and they certainly felt like a very well maintained condo. The service was excellent, the setting was private and peaceful and most of all it was affordable on an island with such prohibitive prices. I have passed on this secret to only my closest friends because I really want there to always be room when we return. Thanx Tracy

Stayed August 2006
11 Thank tcrnp
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2006

We have stayed at Royal Palms twice and are looking forward to many more visits. Last summer we took our three kids and my Mom and the attention to detail that Mary and Tracy provide is uncomparable. When we returned in October for our Anniversary, they provided a nice bottle of champagne, lovely flower petals in the shape of a heart on our bed and a wonderful card. The rooms are large and very well kept. The pool is HUGE and refreshing after a long day at the beach. The hotel is small and intimate with only six units. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! WE sure do. Royal Palms is very close to fine restaurants and beaches. We left knowing we had made new friends and found a true peaceful destination for many years to come. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GET PACKING! HOPE TO SEE YOU THERE SOMETIME.

• Stayed August 2005, travelled on business
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,661 reviews
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
Malliouhana, An Auberge Resort
#1 of 13 in West End Village

Been to Royal Palms? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK