Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM

karenshewan
Preston, United Kingdom
via mobile
Enjoyable.

Went to visit 8th Oct. Yes paid £2.50 for membership so do go outdoors £5 per year! People still... read more

Reviewed 9 October 2018
wigansmiths
Wigan, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews treasure trove few hours small entrance fee for sale stalls selling war museum couple of hours penny arcade buy something interesting place rainy day a great place to spend under one roof old mill collectibles bargains rummage
Reviewed 1 week ago

A long time since we had visited and really pleased with what we experienced. A wonderful afternoon spent browsing the halls which are packed with a variety of stalls catering for all tastes...old and new, preloaded and designer. Certainly a place to visit anytime.

1  Thank Janet E
Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

I also received a parking fine but spoke to a very friendly lady who said that I had entered the last letters of my registration wrong. She said they would waive the fine and sure enough I got a letter a few days later. I've always found the staff very friendly and helpful. Yes it can be cold in there in the winter but to heat up that massive building would surely result in an increase in prices which no one wants. We're all wrapped up anyway in winter so I don't see the problem.
I've had some fantastic bargains from there and it's a great day out on a wet day.

1  Thank karenshewan
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

Went to visit 8th Oct. Yes paid £2.50 for membership so do go outdoors £5 per year! People still pay that.
The staff were friendly, who served myself and hubby.
Yes there are some stalls that you think are not quite “antique” but it’s not all about being antique, what is tat to one person would be treasure to others. I would not say it was overpriced. Have you been into charity shops recently.
We spent a good few hours going around only 2 of the areas, I enjoyed it, bought a Jane Austin complete series book,a lovely old cake plate, cds looked in the vintage clothes, reminisced about some of the ornaments etc that my Nan used to have, looked at the retro furniture, saw what one stall had down lovely job up cycling old.but not antique furniture. Hubby enjoyed seeing the trains and books and cds. Can’t comment on cafe as didn’t use it. Maybe suggestion that the items could be open to sensible offers like you do when you go into antique shops put that in stickers??

Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

I haven’t visited for around 10 years & in that time it has certainly expanded, but in doing so has lost a lot of the charm it used to have & far too much is house clearance tat for inflated prices.
The cafe is awful. Long queues, slow service & one meal was completely forgotten about. Told the waitress when she brought the others out. 10 minutes later still no meal so went to see what was happening. Meal wasn’t even started & waitress hadn’t passed on that it was missing. The food isn’t great. Lattes not cheap & you get less than in most places.
Unlikely to visit again.

1  Thank Ginlover73
Reviewed 24 September 2018

Paid to get in and receive a life time membership card. Why? Botany Bay used to do this too.
A large place with plenty of stalls and narrow aisles. Been to these kinds of places before. Same old same old. Ok to look round for a change and certainly
if your a collector of something.
A lot of it is just overpriced tat and no stallholders to be seen.
You pay on the way out. Staff not very professional. Surly looking and unwelcoming.

2  Thank primroseviolet
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

We visited Bygone Times with our two boys. We had all had a great day looking at all the unusual items and the boys were deciding what to spend their pocket money on. At approx 4.50pm it was announced over the tannoy could all customers now pay for their items as the shop was closing. We did exactly as we were told and went straight to the till, as we wanted items that were in cabinets. At the till area where you get the keys we were waiting patiently only to be told by a staff member quite rudely “you will be waiting for ages there is only two of us”. As the boys had picked their goods they were getting upset as they thought they wouldn’t be able to buy these items. After waiting a few minutes another member of staff came, wasn’t particularly pleasant, never said anything so we just followed him and got the items in silence. I can appreciate that by this point it was 5pm and the store closes at 5.30pm, and that staff want to get home, but we really felt that we were putting people out to be honest. Like I have said, spoiled what was a lovely day.

1  Thank pnjLancs
Reviewed 18 September 2018

We spent hours looking around we have bar in our under build were we live in Spain and we got a lot of stuff for it,i.e. old pictures beer pumps ,old bottles and glasses hope this has helped you

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Talked into a visit to Bygone Times by the other half, we go a few times a year, and it seems like the same stuff is still for sale. Most stalls don’t have any negotiation on the price, but my cherry scone in the cafe was yummy, coffee not so much.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

On arriving, could not believe the size of the place on entering, I will call it a tardis
The cafe looking a bit tired, crisps overpriced, settling for tuna mayo sandwich, tasty
Looking around at items through the years
Wow, military, home, clothing, jewellery
Well impressed the prices good
On leaving had coffee, sitting down to workmen arrived with paint, to have brew before shop closure, & starting work well done
Planning full day here, improve the cafe
Clean forks, lovely brass coffee blender tucked out of sight, show it, its beautiful
Money needs spending on cafe make it a show, staff to be proud to work there

Reviewed 26 August 2018

im stuck between a rock & a hard place with this one. my mother & I traveled from Ireland to come see bygone times. my auntie living local to the area drove us. while i absolutely LOVED seeing the variety of items on sale & purchased several, i was left shocked by the stores very odd ''procedures'' when it came to parking & entry to the store. you have to pay to shop ? something ive never had to do before in my life. it cost us 8.50 euros to enter. we then had to proceed to register for membership after paying which took AGES. we had to provide names/address and other personal info without any assurances on how that info is stored/used or even WHY its needed at all. we then had to run back outside in the lashing rain to get my aunts car plate info as its a new car & i dont know it off by heart. we were then registered. went indoors. the place is basically a giant warehouse so it was FREEZING cold, bring a ski jacket and gloves or you'll regret it. loved loved loved the items like a child in a candy shop. after about an hour browsing we needed something warm to eat & drink tried the cafe. staff were slow and unpleasant rather trashy too. tea was yukky cheap and arrived luke warm. went to see the world war exhibition on offer to see. again loved what was there but very one sided display (would have loved to have seen items from both sides of the war) and lacking in most of the history of war, very short, not alot to see in it. its a great place to shop (can be kinda expensive too though) 95% of all the items on offer can usually be found at boot sales & adverts online and would likely cost you less then at bygone times. we felt we would have been better off visiting 2-3 local boot sales rather then bygone times, saved more too. to end this all off my auntie was issued with a parking fine that was £100 which is ALOT of money to her. it was later brought to our attention by locals that this happens all the time to people visiting the store and that thousands of pounds sterling a year is made for the council off car parking fines here. and that they very often say parking fine will be revoked if you AGAIN contact bygone times and give your details and car info, but fines stick. our visit was just march 2017. this place would be FAR more wonderful for guests if they moved location so you can park without fee or fines, id even happily brave the cold of the place if staff & food offered was friendly & at least warm. no one should have to give personal information and car reg details to TOTAL STRANGERS in a shop just to browse and/or buy there. shocking carry on. i will say WONDERFUL amazing place full of memories if you wish to buy something you cant buy in a store anymore.

5  Thank Mac Tire B