“Honeymoon Bliss”

Now Larimar Punta Cana
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Bavaro
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 19 September 2014

I want to first say that I did a lot, and I mean A LOT of research on where to go for our honeymoon. Now Larimar had just about everything we were looking for. When we arrived, we were greeted immediately by the hotel staff with cool towels and a refreshing drink. Check in was a breeze, but since our room wasn't ready we were escorted on a tour around the resort (it's a huge resort, more on that later). We ended the tour at the beachside restaurant and got a bite to eat. This was so great for us because we were both starving from the long day of travel. I will list a few things that are important to include here from our stay:

The hotel staff was very nice and accommodating. Everyone tries to make the guests feel welcome and comfortable. They all speak enough English (some better than others), but it's very easy to communicate with them. The nightly entertainment was very good! We were there for the official kickoff of the football season, and they had lounge chairs and a big screen, along with a bar set up on the beach for all the football fans ~ it was very cool. Also, every night you get a program for the following day on all the activities happening around the resort. They have Spanish classes, dance lessons, and sports games going on daily, just to name a few. There is an Explorer's Club for young kids that looked very busy and all the kids seemed like they were having fun. There was a wedding going on at the resort almost every day we were there, but since it's so big, you could almost not even notice.

The resort is set up by non-preferred and preferred guests. The preferred guest rooms are closer to the beach and the non-preferred are away from the beach. They have golf carts to take you around if you don't want to walk from the non-preferred rooms back to the main part of the hotel where the restaurants, entertainment, and lobby are all located. We stayed in a preferred ocean view room so we were very close to the beach. It was a bit of a walk back to the lobby for us. **If you have trouble getting around by foot, this might not be an easy place for you to stay.

The drinks were good. They have a different drink of the day everyday. There was a wide selection of drinks to choose from. There are many different pools around the resort and there are swim-up bars in some of them. The food was good, we mainly stuck to the carnival buffet and castaways (a preferred restaurant). The pasta and bread were my favorite! There was always a salad bar at every meal.

Since it was our honeymoon, and we did the preferred upgrade, they added in complimentary massages, dinner on the beach, breakfast in bed, and a few other add-ins. I would recommend upgrading to the preferred club upon booking if you can afford it. It really does make the trip that much better, plus you get access to all pools (both preferred and non-preferred), preferred lounges with drinks and snacks all throughout the day, and you get special seating in the buffet dining room. Our room was nice, we had an ocean view with a jacuzzi on our balcony. All resort guest rooms have a balcony.

The resort is very well kept up. There are always people working on the gardens or cleaning things. The beach is very nice, though the ocean is very salty. There was a lot of seaweed that they cleaned up everyday. The beach was kept very clean. Now resort has nice lounge chairs on the beach and a lot of them! The pool and beach had plenty of lounge chairs so people who got up late could have one too.

***Overall our stay here was very nice. I would definitely stay at another Now Resort in the future.
We stayed 10 nights here and we have been home for a week and still miss our routine we had there and the nice staff!

Room Tip: Get the preferred upgrade! You will be much happier with the location. And you can reap in all the b...
6  Thank Natalia B
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Now Larimar Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Dear Natalia D:
Thank you for took your time for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay in Now Larimar Punta Cana. It was a pleasure greeting you for your honeymoon and we hope it will be another visit!! We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay among us plentifully, and you had not good, but excellent experience.
Comments like yours give us strength to continue on our way, thank you for your warm words of support and encouragement, your message will be communicated to all staff to share the joy I felt when reading it.
We want to meet you again soon.
Regards

Reviewed 19 September 2014

Okay so I have been the Dominican Republic numerous times, six to be exact. I’d have to say I was a little disappointed in this resort. I had my wedding here so I have been calling in the months prior to try to get my entire guest in a blocked location so we could all stay together. The hotel was never able to accommodate that, which I don’t understand why considering I have been calling since January; I was also told that they don’t give out group rates. I had over 30 guest show up to the resort for my wedding. After the fifth time of calling I finally gave up on getting a group rate and getting a block of room for all of us to stay together. I would also not recommend getting a butler we had a butler but only seen him one day, when I saw him he told us that he was sorry for not paying us attention but he was busy. My first room was okay but if you have a bad back be warned the beds are very hard and uncomfortable to sleep on, I think on average I was getting less than five hours of sleep a night because I kept waking up. The night I got married I switched rooms I paid for the ocean view. I was really upset with this room because I paid the extra money and it was more of a pool view, I was on the second floor and didn’t have any type of ocean view. I had a view of a palm tree . The toilet was broke it was always room and my sink was also broke. After the second or third night I finally got a phone call asking how the room was and I voiced my complaint.
The wedding was beautiful and Francina was a joy to work with, the only problem that we had was, we found a bug in the wedding cake, that was pretty disgusting so never the less we didn’t eat that.
Also be careful of the food you eat I think half out the people who came with us got sick its two weeks later and I myself am just now recovering. Like I said I didn’t have the best of times at this resort I think next time I come I will stay and the grand palladium resort at least the offer free wifi

Room Tip: walls are thin, i was able to hear the people next to us having sex every morning and night
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Now Larimar Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Dear angelo w

Thank you for took your time for sharing your valuable feedback about your recent stay with us. I deeply regret that we have not met your expectations, compared to other hotels, and you could not enjoy your holiday as we would have wished, more taking into consideration it was such special occasion as a wedding.

I have reviewed thoroughly every point that you kindly report in a constructive manner and I deeply regret for the lack of our attention about the unfortunate facts that you encountered during your reservation process.
I would like to apologize if you felt hard time about changing your room, I understand that the first impression is very important and I regret if we were not able to correct these issues in a timely manner.
I would like to tell you that your sincere opinion is very important for us and I hope that you and your friends kindly accept my apologies, also those ones that were not feeling well, sometimes it take long time for the body to adapt to this weather, food, type of life, heat... Hoping you all feel fine now.
Best regards

Reviewed 19 September 2014

My husband and I had an awesome time at the Now Larimar Punta Cana! Check-in was a breeze and the staff very friendly. Hats off to Ricardo, who checked us in and showed us to our room and then advised us our room was upgraded and moved us to another room! The room was lovely, overhead fan, good a/c and such a comfortable bed. Lovely beach area, and enjoyed the beachside grill. I heard the entertainment at the Now Larimar was the best at any resort and it's so true. I was truly wowed by the entertainment team! Staff made the stay memorable! Note: Ricardo is an asset to the Now Larimar! Great Customer Service....THANKS SO MUCH RICARDO!

Room Tip: The rooms between the pool/beach area and dining is a good area. The majority of the dining is all n...
2  Thank ladyflier
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Now Larimar Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Dear ladyflier
Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences in the Now Larimar hotel and thank you for choosing us for your holidays.
For us it is an honor to receive reviews from our guest more if we could read that we have managed to exceed such important expectations.
I am glad to know that my personnel could make your holiday memorable!.
We will love to greet you soon again, so we have another chance to continue surprising you with our hotel and service.
In the name of my whole team, let me wish you and your all the best.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 19 September 2014

Well, where to start, first let me say that this is my 15th time to the Domincan Republic and 14 of those stays have been in the Punta Cana area and namely Bavaro Beach and I plan to buy a condo here in 5years.

Now onto the Now, I stayed here last week, being September 7 to 13th, and have 2 ratings for this resort. If your a couple getting married, a newly married couple or a family I would rate this resort a 4 star. If you are traveling single like I do, then this resort will not be for you and on that basis I would rate this resort 3.8.

Resort Grounds: 4.5

As with many of the resorts I have stayed at the gardeners and landscapers do an excellent job with regards to keeping the grounds manicured and clean with constant upgrades being done to the property. The pools of which there are if I can remember correctly including the preferred pool, 3 , are cleaned every night and morning with constant attention to detail. The washrooms are constantly being attended to.

Beach: 4

This is Bavaro beach, what more can be said, in a few locations Blue Flag accredited. I will admit that there is allot more seaweed at this resort than I have seen in the resorts that I been in the Bavaro area and La Romana, but this could be because of the season. That being said there are tractors on the beach mulching the seaweed up everyday and in the afternoon men with barrels picking up the seaweed. I don't mind the seaweed as I am a Scuba Diver and its all part of mother earth in all her beauty, but some might not like the feeling on their feet. The sand is soft as usual and a wide beach. I will add that a major shortfall to this beach is its lack of palm tree cover as in my favorite resorts ( Barceló Bavaro Adults only, Grand Palladium and Riu Resort Bambu and sister hotels) so at the Larimar you have to rely on the beach Palapas which I can imagine in their high season could be hard to secure as they do not allow reserving and a sign states so before entering the beach.

Bars: 3.8

I enjoyed the pool bar / beach bar (The Mix) they have some great bartenders thanks for a great time Juan, your the man..:). I also enjoyed Moments Bar, which is the Lobby bar that most people gravitate to before dinner and after dinner for drinks and to cool down as the nice thing about this resort unlike most is that the grand lobby, moments are fully air conditioned as well as the sports Bar. The sports bar lowers my rating under 4 as unlike the other resorts listed in this review that I visit regularly, this sports bar is not 24 hours and does not have a heated and managed self serve food station and the sports bar could be better and bigger by removing the unnecessary bowling alley and increasing the size, more pool tables, TVs ' s , sports memorabilia on the walls allot bigger bar as the bar is not a traditional sports bar or pub size at all and making it adults only as I think adults, singles ( if any..lol), couples need somewhere to go and get away, drink and relax and chat with some good music playing.

Restaurants: 4.5

I cannot add to other reviews I can only say that travelling solo I feel somewhat uncomfortable going to al a carts so I always go to the Buffet and this buffet at the now had a great selection of food and deserts. I would recommend to the management that you check the seafood station near to the coffee / cappuccino station as I found the crab un eatable , it was like board and I am a seafood eater and born in the Caribbean where you grow up on seafood and the crab and conch was not done well. I also got food at the food station located on the beach, to the left of the mix bar, behind the watersports center where they serve hot and good food to fill up your stomach between cervesaz , mohitos or your favorite poisen..lol.

Rooms: 4

I had a big, comfortable, partial ocean view room and loved it. I was on the 4th floor room 1412 and would recommend the upgrade to this section as your near the pool and beach. The room was cold, mini bar refilled every day. 24 hour room service is complimentary but I did not avail myself of this. I also loved the turn down service around 9 with 2 Hershey kisses and a printed itenery for the next days events with times and locations which I think is excellent and should be followed by other resorts. Good water pressure, though one occasion with no water in the morning, but I was fine with that

Entertainment: 4

I did not attend the evening shows in the auditorium for the first time ever, maybe due to the fact it was the slow period in the D.R and the resort was only about 50% full, I did attend some of the shows in the main square behind the lobby which I liked as it is outdoor and a good atmosphere. The disco was ok the one time that I visited it, again this is abnormal for me to only visit once but again the resort seemed to die around 11.30. I would say based on my one visit and being to other discos at other resorts that the dj need to be trained more as he was not mixing songs properly and going from gendre to genre..ie..rock then next song bachata. I think its has a great side to it too because its outdoor which I love, but being up 2 flights of stairs just be carefull..lol. I would say that the resort could train their resident DJ if they have one and if they don't bring in a resident DJ of the island in high season to really pump up the crowd and atmosphere.

Smoking:

This is for the cigarette smokers and like myself cigar or as they say in espanol puro smokers that there is no smoking allowed in any of the bars, restaurants( unless there is an outside patio to the resort then you could smoke and eat there, and no smoking in your room as there is a detector on the wall near the air con and in the washroom. I did smoke my cigars, but on the balcony and with no smoking in rooms, then no ashtrays so you can use one of the 2 coffee cups located in your room for your ashes just as a suggestion. As I said this is being catered as a family resort so I found the smokeless environment in the bars and lobby to be great and the lobby and moments bar have a wonderful smell, I would love to know what air freshener they are using.

Resort Staff : 5

The best staff I have had the privilege to vacation with, all with a smile and happy, dancing and enjoying their jobs. Special hello to Juan ( The Mix), another great guy in Moments bar, I cant remember his name as I have always been bad with names, but you will know him, his English is excellent and his service very good. Special mention to Carlos who works in the Caribbean buffet behind the quiet pool, the restaurant that I went to every night, I got sick of my stomach as some people did and he ran and made me a special concoction that is mama made for him as a little nino for stomach issues and it helped plus his great attitude, I hope the management recognises him for this and sends my regards.

Resort Improvements :

I would recommend to the management in order for me and other singles to consider this resort again and for the first time to have a singles week every year at the same time with events..ie..speed dating, pool parties, white night events ect as I attended and would have attended this year and will attend for 2 weeks next year, but could not because of scheduling issues at work, The Barceló Bavaro Beach Adults (best time I have EVER had a resort that I have ever been too which includes the D.R, Mexico, Antigua, Cuba) only which was held fir their first singles week last year, again this year and I am sure going forward for years to come around October 13th to 19th. There are many singles looking to meet fellow minded singles in a upscale resort all it would take is to advertise on the Now site and send out in a written package and email to all the travel agencies which Barceló did.

Management And Desk Staff: 5

I must also give positive credit, coming from a mid level management career to applaud the professionalism of the management staff and reservation desk staff. In particular on my last night in the moments bar I had the opportunity to discuss my compliments about the resort and improvement with Ismael Vallejo Garden View Assistant Manager who took my issues, improvements and positive comments to pen and paper which I found professional.

Over all the end my novel..lol. I will again say for weddings, recently married, long time married, families this resort is excellent. For singles , not so much unless they take my observations and recommendations to heart, singles should attend Barceló Bavaro Adults only / Palace Resort Complex. Remember don't sweat the small stuff, I still had a great time, do tip as it helps, you tip at home you certainly can tip when people who are as hard working and friendly as I have ever met make maximum $300 a month. Anyone who has any questions please don't hesitate to message me and I plan to make a video and put it on you tube with my other resort reviews.

Adios,
Rob

Cigars and Shopping:

If you need to buy liquor or souvenirs do so on the beach, walk to the left and you can find some shops, and men on the beach willing to sell it you, you just need to know how to barter like in Mexico because if you don't then don't complain about what you bought something for, its just the way things work. Cigars, I have a smoker for 10 years, DO NOT buy on the beach as you will be buying cigars with banana leaves in some cases used as a filler and in other cases rolled so bad that they are un smoke able due to being so tight. If you want true cigars, walk to the left, past Soles Bar and right beside Hurrican Café which I went for a beers there is a shop with cigar murals on it. Don't let the gift shop in the front fool you, just walk to the back, open the door and then you will step into a air conditioned room with cigars on the wall and burt the owner, operator and cigar guru sleeping or talking to someone about his passion and mine, cigars you may know about this company, but if not, its called http://vivaldicigars.com. I will buy his cigars all the time and when I next come down next year for 2 weeks..the rest I will let him explain to you over a puro he is a great teacher and I learnt allot that I did not know.

Room Tip: Get Partial Ocean view and try to get 4th floor Garden View Rooms too far away from main complex an...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank carribeankid2001

Dear carribeankid2001
We want to thank you for taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor about experience among us. I have no words to express our most sincere gratitude for your lovely comments about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacations at Now Larimar Punta Cana; and on your behalf we will congratulate our personnel for helping to make your stay memorable.
Critics like yours, allow us to see the hotel from the point of view of the customer, and see through your eyes as you lived your holiday also you help us to improve the service that is why we are taking note about your kind suggestions.
On behalf of my team, I want to thank you again for choosing us over other Caribbean hotels for your holidays
Warm regards

Reviewed 18 September 2014

We had some issues with our rooms. A/C was not working & our first night we had dirty sheets still on the beds from the previous guests. Alexandra Vargas was awesome! She took care of us immediately. She did not have any extra rooms for the remainder of our stay so she upgraded us to another resort Breathless free of charge. Her customer service was exceptional!

Overall the hotel and resort was beautiful. We really enjoyed the nightclub and the pool was amazing.

Thank you again to Alexandra!

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brandie M
Hotel Manager N, Manager at Now Larimar Punta Cana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2014

Dear Brandie M
From the all team that working on Now Larimar, Thank you so much for your positive feedback!!
I am truly delighted to read that our service team and experience all together exceeded your expectations.
We will look forward to welcoming you back again
Kind regards
Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bavaro
0.2 km away
6.3 km away
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#47 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK