“Preferred club”

Now Larimar Punta Cana
Ranked #11 of 27 Hotels in Bavaro
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Over all, we liked the resort, and had no issues. We did opt for the "preferred Club" which we were able to upgrade for$40 per night - we were quoted $80 prior to the trip. As a preferred member, you had access to "2 private pools with bars, a club lounge, 24 hour wireless Internet in your room, and a private beach area", special concierge services". The pool areas, beach area and even the preferred lounge area never asked for ID at any time. Virtually anyone could go into those areas at any time - enjoy all the emenities, accept internet, without paying the extra.

We really didn't use the "preferred pools" - 3 others were available, so no real value. We did take advantage of the Internet & club lounge, but that was it. There really wasn't anything special about the "preferred club" - I felt it wasn't worth paying the extra money; especially since anyone could use without paying

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Don H

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I usually write lengthy reviews am afraid! We traveled with BA from Glasgow - London - Dominica - the stop in Antigua is a real pain but the comfort and all else on the plane was great especially in comparison to Thomas Cook and the like. We had private transfers to the hotel which was nice and fast and easy in comparison to a bus.

We were preferred club so check in was in their lounge we were given a cocktail while we checked in and there was a fridge etc in there that my daughter got a juice from. It was smooth and easy and we were then taken to our room by Wilson. He told us about the parts of the hotel while we went.

The room was smaller than i expected and we had 2 double beds rather than the king size that is usual the upside is our daughter had a proper bed the down side is the small double is not great for 2 adults. The room could have had a king and a single easily so maybe ask for a king if you want one. The room was clean and tidy though and we had a table and chairs, dressing table with a mirror way to high to use while sitting down though! the TV had loads of channels but i dont think we actually watched anything in the two weeks we were there. The safe in the wardrobe is standard size and we had an iron and board, a coffee maker but no tea which was a shame. The minibar had 2 beers, juice and water and was restocked daily. The cleaning service I thought was great we had no problems at all. The turn down service at night was less reliable but was not something I really bother about. Ok the bathroom - its bizarre our room had a wall around it but the wall stopped a foot or so short of the ceiling not really sure why they would do that. There were 2 sinks a cubicle with a brilliant shower and a toilet cubicle. Again all very clean. If you can get a sea view master suite do it though they are lovely! One or two folk we talked to said the rooms in the new annex are bigger and nicer - we didnt go down to it though so can't say - its about a 5 minute walk from the reception area but well away from the beach - it had its own big pool and a buffet again we didn't bother trying them but heard positive things.

The pools - we tended to use the preferred pool or occasionally the main pool. The music at the preferred pool was woeful though - imagine classic UK and US tracks slowed right down and sung by bad cover artists and thats what you had, I think I must have heard the worst version of some of my favorite songs about 10 times a day, not sure if its better or worse than a boom boom boom music pool! We found the pools clean and a good temperature. There were a severe shortage of umbrellas though, and the usual sunbed booking that drives me insane - if you are not planning to use a sunbed why leave a towel on it all day so no-one else can! we didn't have a problem getting a bed at any time though just no shade.

The beach had many more umbrellas and there were always plenty of them available. The sand was lovely. ok seaweed - its a beach, there is sea = there is seaweed! there are a team of folk who seem to spend all day every day sweeping up seaweed what a totally thankless task. The sea was lovely and warm. My daughter loved the sea trampoline - wee hint there is a ladder at the far side which we discovered after days of shoving and trying to climb up using the footholds.

The food - mmm - its not great by any stretch of the imagination. The buffet was the best food but the aircon was not that strong when it worked so the place always felt hot. Staff on the whole were really good.

A la cartes - Spice you need to reserve the Teppanyaki tables only - wow though they are worth it this is by far the best food in the place.
I didn't rate the Chinese, my husband liked it though, which is like the other restaurants and no reservations needed. The Italian was ok but about as authentic Italian as I am.
The Grill was truly awful - I have read reviews on here saying good steaks they are not good by any stretch of the imagination unless you like them dripping with grease, with greasy vegetables and undercooked potatoes. The wings were nice though!
We couldn't eat in the French as our daughter isn't 18.
Castaways was ok for a lunch but despite what it says in the room brochure was never open at night, was nice at breakfast though.
Barefoot was ok if you like burgers and hotdogs there was usually a queue for the bbq chicken and such.
The a la carte all make men wear long trousers and closed toe shoes and it states no flip-flops - I find this incredible in such a hot place particularly when woman can wear what they want including shorts, or 3/4 trousers etc, no beachwear I totally get but one guy was saying the only long trousers he had were the jeans he traveled in so rather than smart cropped trousers and his sandals he was in worn heavy jeans and old trainers so in no way smarter dressed and that was allowed- I wore silver sparkly Fit Flops and they were find with that too but my husband was roasting and you see guys going changing to eat then changing to 3/4 etc after as it was so hot - I don't get what you can do in cropped trousers or dress shorts and sandals that you can't do in long trousers and heavy shoes except sweat. Staff we found all to be excellente as they say.

If you want to eat 6-645ish you get seated straight away other than that you get a buzzer to wait for a table - usually 45 mins or so but some times longer depending on time of night etc. I know folk don't like the no reservations but we liked it as you went where you felt at the time rather than what we had booked days before or having to call up at 9am to reserve etc.

Bars were sometimes a bit slow at table service but the drinks were great everything you can think of - Rose on in the preferred lounge right enough strangely. Every drink is included and we thought they were spot on with cocktails and such. Beer is Presidente or presidente light, Miller or The One in bottles. Again staff very good indeed and Ignacio at Sandbar mastered my cava slush that I love on holiday! But the music oh was the same as the pool music its awful. There was live music in the courtyard most nights and sometimes in Moments later on.

Wifi was included for us as we had the preferred club rooms but its still be token access each only lasts 10 hours so you need to keep getting a new one from the lounge, but there is a good coverage all over the hotel right down to the beach. It is fairly expensive to pay for if you are not in the preferred area.

Preferred club - not sure we got any extra service benefits - we could have called Wilson
on any time to do stuff for us but to be honest we didn't feel the need, it was good having wifi and the pools and beach area. We were asked once for our room number at the preferred bar and he did ask most folk on the first visit. Its a black room key not blue and thats how they know who is who. I'd get it again if I was going back but not really sure its worth it!

Entertainment was poor the evening shows were on a weekly loop and the circus was about the only thing worth seeing the rest were average dancing troops, poor entertainment team mr and mrs balloon games and a truly awful Michael Jackson impersonator.

Kids club - open from 10-10 my daughter went a couple of times but at age 11 and in with kids from 5-12 its too big a age group so she was bored. She would have rather been in the Core Zone as their activities looked good but its 13-17 years - it would have been good to have had a middle group. You get a phone that they call you on with any issues or when you child wants to go which is a great idea and again staff were great.

All in all its a quiet place where there are a large number of big groups travelling for weddings, roughly 3 weddings a day. The staff on the whole are great, they work hard all the time and most are smiling and happy. I really dislike the photo with animals though and I hate seeing the poor wee monkey on a lead or the parrot being stuck on folks head and shoulders for a photo and have no idea at all why you would want such a photo.

They run a shuttle to the mall which is ok for a visit expensive though. We ate on our last night our anniversary at Hard Rock which was fabulous cost $174 for the 3 of us but worth it as the food was great and we needed a good meal.

We had a good holiday but it was a tad dull. I'd go back to Dominican but choose another hotel next time - if you want to lie at a pool all day and not too fussed for food its great but food lets it down. If I could I'd rate it 3.5 not 4 as it was good, not average and not very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed and if you can get a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank amack
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Hotel staff rude and speak very little english. my Spanish is good enough to get by, yet was still ignored.

Do not expect preferred treatment in preferred section.

Constantly ran out of food at outdoor grill.

Room service is a joke wrong items arrived after lengthy delays.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Mjacobs852
Reviewed 28 July 2012

First time in Punta Cana and I thought it was pretty amazing. The place was beyond beautiful although the service there was very much under staffed. It was the little stuff that was missing. For instance: You had to wait somewhat long to get a drink, in the rooms some towels were not replaced. The people were amazingly nice but they did too much! One person had 5 other jobs to do at the same time. Therefore the hotel was under staffed. But the beach was extremely beautiful!

But to those who were Awesome and always kept you entertained and happy. Shout outs to
Wilki, Ambiorix, and Luis Antonio Banderas

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I just returned from my trip last night so everything is as accurate as the past week.

Unfortunately, the only positive aspects of this resort are:

-beach
-clean, well maintained property
- very friendly staff

Practically every staff member I encountered was warm, friendly, and helpful. They made me feel very welcome and comfortable as a guest, which was nice.

For me, the worst part (and most important, in my opinion) was the service. The service was EXTREMELY SLOW and often times inefficient. The simplest request ended up being a huge ordeal. For example, when we arrived, our room was halfway clean (a housekeeper quickly came in and cleaned the room) and there were no face towels in the room. No biggie, the housekeeper said she would bring the towels to the room. We left to go enjoy the resort and when we returned to our room 5-6 hours later, there still were no face towels (which means we can't take a shower and get dressed). I called the reception desk to ask for the towels TWICE before they actually arrived, which took about ONE HOUR. Once we got the towels, I proceeded to take a shower and guess what - NO HOT WATER!!!

We had to call the reception desk again TWICE before someone came to investigate why we were not receiving hot water. We almost missed our dinner reservations because of these two issues. These are basic things that 1.) a guest shouldn't have to hound the hotel to rectify and 2.) should have never been an issue in the first place.

Then, I unfortunately had to switch rooms because of a domestic abuse situation. I ended up spending an additional $600 for a new room although I had already paid for the initial room when I purchased a all-inclusive vacation package. I specifically requested that my room information not be released to anyone and I was assured by the staff member I was working with that it would remain confidential throughout the rest of the trip. What happened?! I got a phone call to my room from the person I had separated from and specifically asked that my information not be released to. When I asked him how he got my room number, he said "the hotel staff gave it to me. I just asked for your name."

When I complained to management about the issue and demanded some type of explanation and compensation, there was none. All they said was sorry, although they put my life in possible danger.

They ended up making the other traveler I was with vacate the property, therefore, I was able to go back to my original room. They promised to refund 2/3 of the additional money that I spent on the second room, however, I had to wait in the lobby for TWO HOURS for that simple refund to be processed.

I was highly disappointed in the way that everything was handled with this hotel and although the staff was friendly, that's not enough to make me spend my money and ever go back there.

Oh, and the food was terrible.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tara J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bavaro
0.2 km away
6.3 km away
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#47 of 112 in Punta Cana

Been to Now Larimar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK