All reviews during our stay samsara restaurant nice view rooms are spacious dinner show the hotel staff nice stay i'm glad interior design dinner buffet live music year old daughter robinsons mall super typhoon yolanda typhoon haiyan deluxe room ocean view
Reviewed 29 March 2018

The service does not match the price you pay to stay here. Got bitten by mosquito's more in the hotel room than i did anywhere else on the whole holiday. Reported it numerous times but they did nothing about it. The hotel itself is nice but whats a nice hotel with poor service?!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank stefan h
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

The place is great but the service is very poor. Employees are not coordinated to each other. You need to tell them about your request for fckin new towels at least thrice or four times before they do it. Not worth the money.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Ian D
Reviewed 18 February 2018 via mobile

This place is in an amazing spot and the view is exceptional. We booked 2 rooms for our family. My wife and I were in a Premier Twin Room - Ocean View. The Room was large with 2 queen beds, a large bathroom and plenty of space to move around, facing the ocean with a small balcony. The fittings were good, but a cockroach on the first night put my wife on edge a bit. That was the only one we saw for the 3 days we stayed so he must have been a rogue agent. My wifes family were booked into a deluxe room. This is where it all starts to go astray. The room has 4 single beds and whilst we could accomodate this, the building and rennovation going on right above the room was unbearable. I took a photo of the workers and went to the reception to complain to the Duty Manager. After about 20 mins waiting, & having the reception staff keep coming and asking me what it was regarding and me saying I just need to complain about something, a lady came out from the office. She was the Front Office Duty Manager and made sure she let me know that. There was no Duty Manager or General Manager in sight as it was a Sunday apperently. GM is on site somewhere but not available.. No Duty Manager in a 4+ star resort... WOW. After showing my picture to her and pointing out that I was dissappointed that I wasnt informed about their being building going on above the room, she offered to move the family to a Premier room like we had. This was the best service we had for 3 days and was very much appreciated. So rooms are all sorted now.
Lets start on food and beverage.. Quality is great. No complaints about the food. Service in these areas is attrocious and funny thing is, I don't really blame the staff at all. It seems some management decisions are crazy. A pool bar that is not allowed to serve drinks around the pool, only in about 6 designated seats building side of the bar itself. We sat for lunch and we had a trainee staff member take the order in the restaurant. From pictures I asked the young lady how big the serves were. She advised they were good for 2-3 people. So I ordered up knowing we had 7 people there. Now whilst she did read it back to me and what I had ordered was on her list, when the senior staff waitress was standing next to her she should have noticed there was a lot of food and maybe asked me if I was sure about the quantities. There was alot.. most servings could feed 4-5 people easy, and I had ordered 4 of some of them to cover the 7 people we had... my total bill just for lunch was Php7200. Whilst we had leftovers and all is good it could have been better handled by the fulltime waitress that was standing there...
Next we move back to the pool bar.. my wife and I were sitting having a drink watching the show ( more on this soon) and I ordered a Clubhouse Sandwich. 30 mins later when I went up to the bar to find out where it was, the waiter says '"Please wait sir I will go and check inside for an ingredient!" I asked if they had started it and was told NO so I just cancelled it. Even my wife who is Filipino was horrified by this service. We think they just simply forgot to place the order! When I was paying the bill, the waitress says to me I have to wait for a cashier as she is not authorised to give change from the till. She knows how but is not allowed.. 5 mins later the cashier shows up. Just not what you would expect from a resort I don't think.

The management here leaves alot to be desired. There is so much potential and it jumps out at you.
Now the show!
This was a highlight of our 3 nights here. Both Saturday and Sunday nights at 7:30pm, a majority of the staff jump up in front of the pool area and begin a dance routine. I mean everyone is involved from cleaners to chefs, bell boys to security. It was great. Then they have a fire breathers & dancing show which is quite spectacular. They are very talented people, then more staff dancing. A great show which also included fire works from the beach on Saturday night.

Its a 5 minute walk to the Macarthur Monument which is handy. 10 mins by car to Robinsons Mall and about 30 mins to San Juinico Bridge.. Traffic can be a killer here..

They seem to be spending money on building a KTV bar as they advertise on the front fence and something else down the back which I am not sure about but they really should focus up front. Foyer poles and rails are all rusting and paint is flaking off everywhere. Pool tiles seem to fall off in your hand. Did I forget to say the beds are like CONCRETE!!! The most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on and you can see but the quantity of my reviews, I have slept on alot!! When I asked reception if they had any pillow tops for the bed they said they would ask housekeeping. I never heard back. Internet, whilst available is very slow. It will sometimes drop out depending where you are in the resort. In the rooms it seems fine but still very slow!

Overall our stay was good but could have been so much better with very little effort. It's not cheap for Philippines and saying they are 4+ star could be achieved. But right now, its 3 star at best I believe. Looks good on the outside but a bit let down with things on the inside.

Certainly worth staying here if your in Tacloban and knowing the drama around typhoons in this area over the last few years, I commend the owners for the way it is now.. It can't be easy.

PS - Foyer is amazing.. worth a look see even if your not staying here..

Cheers
Tony

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank tincoll
Reviewed 8 February 2018 via mobile

Well the view itself was truly nice but the service and the room is not..
The bed smells stinks,even they just do the cleaning, my 2daughter suffers a lot from insects bite from the bed, plus mosquitoes, we also did try the spa, unfortunately our bad bcos aside from getting bitten from the bed bugs and mosquitoes now we also have rushes,instantly right after they finished doing body scrub..
The service are really pretty slow..
Sorry but we’re not happy choosing this hotel..

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank taurus23girl
Reviewed 22 January 2018 via mobile

I am impressed with the remodeling effort after this hotel was severely damaged in the super typhoon. The grounds and building really look spectacular. The decor has a nice mix between tasteful antiques, native crafts, and modern touches. There’s an interesting recurring Buddhist motif throughout, including a restaurant called Samsara. I enjoyed the fire show last night during dinner. The dancers were very talented! The food has been fantastic, especially the noodle bar at the buffet. The really gem of this property is the spa. The staff are extremely well-trained and provide first class service. I had a body scrub and 90 minute signature massage with Ramon and even came back the next day for more. He was very thoughtful coming in on his day off because I requested him again. The products used are all high quality and organic. Best hotel in the Tacloban area. I am glad this place is open again!

Stayed: January 2018