Marari Beach Villas(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$ 33
Marari Sea Scape Villa(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 29/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 23
Achayans Homestay(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
US$ 21
US$ 15
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 22/night.

Marari Leena Beach House(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
US$ 15
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 17/night.

Marari Beach Garden(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
US$ 23
US$ 21
Agoda.com
Marari Austin Beach Villa(Mararikulam)(Great Value!)
US$ 29
Mayas Beach House(Mararikulam)
US$ 104
US$ 101
Agoda.com
All reviewsrupert and olgavilla hosthibiscus cottageprivate poolvisit indiaseafood bbqbeach bagprivate yoga lessonscooking lessonlocal fishermenmodern facilitiestraditional keralan styleevery mealsea wavesboat tourcooking classlittle piece of paradise
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Had the great pleasure of spending 3 fantastic days at Marari. The wonderful welcome we received from Olga and Rupert was like meeting up with old friends. They couldn't have been more accommodating. Our room was really lovely and dinners were very romantic sitting by our own pool in Orchid Villa. A really spendid small and intimate place to stay. Couldn't have been better.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013

We stayed there with our friend from UK from 8th-11th Jan'13, we had an amazing holiday and enjoyed the hospitality of Olga and Rupert. The Villa has a very good sea view , great rooms and the staff was very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank pkmumbai
Reviewed 13 January 2013

What can I say that hasn't been said already. It exceeded ALL our expectations. We stayed for 5 Days in The Orchid Villa and we will be back next January with the family to gobble up the rest. The Staff were amazing and on call at all times......Thank you all 10 fold.. (Gin and my Favourite book were sourced. A tailor found )... The food (Well let me tell you all! ) was exceptional. It's not very often in this life that we have our own Chef and he was a dream. The Villa was spotless. The Beach was deserted and clean. it was relaxing to the point of Heaven
I can honestly say with my hand on my heart and (still sorry guys) tears of gratitude in my eyes We LOVED IT at Marari Villas

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We booked the Palm Villas (a 3 bedroom exclusive villa) !

It was divine :) The Palm Villa faces the beach with only fishermen for company...there are NO tourists as in say Goa....and the beaches stretch far into the distance with fine powdery sand.

Rupert and Olga made our stay very memorable (I was just recovering from a surgery) and the family thoroughly enjoyed their stay ! The villas is relaxed but maintained to the highest standards of cleanliness and safety (with a night watchman).

The villa is fully staffed and Suresh, Vinay, Chef Jijoo and staff Nency made our stay very memorable. The appam and dosa breakfasts were much appreciated by the family :)

The sunsets on the beach were beautiful and my 4 year old daughter Riona had a fun time playing with one of the staff's son Prince who lives nearby !

The villa has everything I had come to expect from a European Villa holiday plus more given the warmth and hospitality of Ruperrt and Olga + the staff.

Room Tip: Palm Villa higly recomended !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rakesh29
MarariVillas, Owner at Marari Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2013

Dear Rakesh29,
Thank you again for staying with us and we are really glad that your family enjoyed the experience at the Palm Villa.

We hope your recovery continues and that your experiences in Kerala help in some way.

We look forward to having you back at Marari Villas very soon as Prince is asking when Riona will be coming back to play : )

With Best Wishes, The Marari Villas Team

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed in this property early April 2011 for a couple of days, post a business trip to Mumbai. Having been to the area before (early January 2010), I knew the beach was fantastic, but was looking for a decent accommodation. Villas didn't disappoint.
The highlight of the Villas is the hospitality. I never met Rupert but Olga was a great hostess. She manages to make you feel welcome and strikes this right (and delicate) balance between being present and attentive to the needs without being intrusive. As a solo traveler definitely a plus to have someone to exchange with about about the region and what to do as well as interesting discussions on different topics.
I had the Hibiscus cottage, which at the time had no pool. And even without the pool I found it to be the best of the two (the beach Villa was not part of their properties back then). Bear in mind that while the pool if a great plus for those that want privacy and prefer a change of scenery from the beach, it's not usable from the moment the sun starts going down as the mosquitos will eat you alive! Olga let me use the pool of the Orchid house for one evening while it wasn't occupied. A very nice gesture that I couldn't take fully advantage of as water removed the insect repellant which usually keeps them at a distance very well, no worries about that.
Back to the cottage: it's really beautiful. Not in the sense of a stylish and modern Boutique Hotel you would find in NYC or Barcelona, but more on the antique side. Simply but beautifully done and decorated with Kerallan style. I absolutely LOVED the outdoor open ceiling bathroom. The cottage is very spacious and well AC'ed, which is a must as humidity is merciless in Kerala (you should see Cochin...). The gallery in the front was also a nice and quite private area to relax, read, have a glass of wine and keep in touch with home through their WiFi. It's also a better environment for that as the cottage is a bit on the dark side,even with lights.
I also took a Yoga class one morning there, that Olga arranged for me. Try it, surprisingly interesting session and learned a lot about breathing techniques, digestion, etc. The old guy looks like Yoda and you would almost expect him to levitate while lecturing you "stressed you shall not be" :). I know that they also have quite a few other activities that they do offer. They also arrange a 4 hands massage at the nearby Abad Resort, which was a fine experience. Olga also arranged all transportations to and from Marari, and I would recommend to it that way as the villas can be hard to fine, and the price difference with booking it yourself is not worth the trouble.
The food: really good, sufficient and priced right. No need to go elsewhere. And oh, you have to try their juices. Their Mint Lemmon juice is to die for. If you need it they can even bring it to the beach (yes, that is Service!)
Speaking of the beach: the walk there takes about 5-10min. It goes through somewhat of a pathway that gives you an insight into the lives of villagers, as the Marari Villas is located inside a small community. So for those who are used to Caribbean resorts: it's not the same. You get to experience/see the real life around you. Yes, for sure some parts of the path are not perfectly clean but there is nothing that put me off. And I actually welcomes this nice walk in the shade. Also having Marari Villas next to/within this small community was definitely a positive. You do hear sometimes a dog bark or someone speak louder but it never got to the point of annoying me. And I am a light sleeper.
The beach is simply great. Again, not your typical Caribbean beach, nor the Fiji completely deserted beach. But it's quite a natural beach where you see some of the local life unfold. So try it before it gets discovered by the Hiltons of this world. They have a small section on the beach where Villas puts a few long chairs and umbrellas. And there is a security guard working for the Villas nearby. Not that you need one, but he can be of help if you want drinks (or maybe finger food?) delivered to you straight to the beach and can call them. Again: think Mint Lemmon Juice...
The only two (slight) negatives I found was that AC was shooting cold air straight to the head (very annoying). I tried to get it directed elsewhere but couldn't make it work (I'm just an engineer... ) so I pushe the bed to the side and it did the trick. Olga told me later that there is a way to change the direction of the flow with the remote.
The other element that is missing from your typical hotel experience is that Villas doesn't have any common areas. So if you are like me and you flight leaves in the evening, and you have to vacate the cottage by noon, that can be a bit of a problem. Olga mentioned that normally I could stay as late as I wanted but since other guests were arriving (and arriving early) I had to vacate the cottage at the normal check out time. Of course one can always work around this. I used the beach till mid PM, went for a massage later (and used those facilities to get changed back to my normal clothing). Or someone could opt for one of the multiple other activities (boat tour, local visit, Cochin visit etc). But still can be annoying not to have a place where you can simply change clothes. I suspect that with the multiplication of their properties this will be less of an issue.
In term of pricing Villas isn't cheap, but it's not expensive either. And I would definitely go back there if I go to Marari (you can see my review about another property nearby: Abad)

Room Tip: I would chose Hibiscus Cottage over Orchid for the style, and the size. Unless you want more natural light.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank spartac
MarariVillas, Owner at Marari Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear spartac,
Thank you for your great review and comments about our hospitality and lovely Hibiscus Cottage with its outdoor bathroom (as well as the legendary mint-lemon juice!).

As you mentioned, we have made many improvements to the cottage since your stay; a new private pool, TV/DVD, additional bathroom products etc. We have also added a shower on the beach and hammocks overlooking the beautiful river, so you can stay the full day on the beach with drinks and lunch served there.

Sorry you had trouble adjusting the AC. We have now moved the AC unit so it doesn’t blow directly onto the bed and (as Olga mentioned) it is possible to adjust the louvers so the air blows away from the bed.

Finally, thanks for your comments about the lack of common area. We are now creating a covered seating area in the front garden of Orchid/Hibiscus Cottages, so guests that have late check-out can enjoy the garden and free WiFi.

Hope to see you back at Marari sometime so you can benefit from the changes : )
Olga, Rupert and the Marari Villas Team