All reviews remote place facing the street gas station next door al pomodoro stayed here gym balcony base brand huehue city towels ruins block
Reviewed 25 June 2015

I have been coming here every year in Spring time for several days for years now, always having “my” room which faces the street. I sleep with the balcony door open and I can assure you there is hardly any noise, especially between about midnight and early morning where streets are deserted. As someone said there is a gas station right next door, but I never ever smelled anything at all. The pool is more to look at than actually use I think and there are no seating options in the pool area. The hotel is well maintained, still relatively new and surprisingly luxurious especially considering you’re in the middle of nowhere up in the Highlands here. A great base to take tours to neighboring places like Todos Santos, San Juan Atitan, the Ixil, San Mateo Ixtatan, etc. An area definitely worth visiting and to me the most beautiful and most authentic in all of Guatemala.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2015

Though I am Guatemalan by nature, I have never visited Huehuetenango. So, we decided to visit the indigenous villages of Huehuetenango Department along with my wife. Hotel Ruinas Resort, in my humble opinion, is located in one of the safest area of Huehuetenango city, and what I really enjoyed was the morning breakfast and service by the staff. If you really want to experience true Guatemalan hospitality, you must dine at their restaurant, and you will see what I mean when it comes to customer service and hospitality.

Additionally, though in Huehuetenango city there is nothing to city--at least for me--you have other interesting places to visit like the Mam ( a descendant tribe from the Mayan empire) ruins of Zaculeu algonside other interesting, mountainous areas of Huehuetenango Department.

Lastly, their rates are quite cheap ($60 to $65 per night), considering the fact that there aren't many 'Western' hotels in the area.

This hotel has my upmost recommendation when it comes to stay and visit Huehuetenango.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2015

I have stayed at Hotel Ruinas over a dozen times over the last couple of years while traveling to Huehuetenango for work. I give it an enthusiastic 5 stars - keeping in mind this is not a tourist-oriented town, and the rating is in comparison to other options in town.

The service here is the best I've experienced in Guatemala, which is really saying something. The food in the restaurant is really good and the staff is so sweet and accommodating. I've also held business events in the hotel and its always well organized and executed (though service is a little slow).

Being in the center of town, it can be noisy at night because of traffic passing by, the rooms are a bit dark/dingy as others have mentioned, and the equipment in the gym is quite outdated - but this is by far the best option in Huehuetenango and the service outweighs any disadvantages, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony - some of the interior rooms don't have windows and can become very hot and stuffy depending on the weather/time of year. If you're a light sleeper though, be aware the balcony rooms are definitely more exposed to the noise on the street - bring headphones, as these rooms are worth it for the air flow.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2014

odd hotel/casino in huehue which was a stopover on the way to chi chi staff was great nice, helpful, the room was small dark with a tiny bathroom water was hot though. looking back we should have eaten at the hotel, instead we ventured out to the dreadful al pomodoro around the corner this was fine for the night

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2014 via mobile

Rooms are nice and clean. Food is great. Service is the best I've ever had in Guatemala. Better than the 5 stars in Guatemala city. Not far from the city center. Highly recommended. Only paid $62 for a room! Outstanding.

• Stayed: November 2014