“Highly Recommend”

Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Sosua
Dominican Republic
“Highly Recommend”
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My friend came to visit me while I serve in the Peace Corps. I would pleasantly surprised. It was low season, so my friend and I got a room each at no extra cost. Carl is a true cosmopolitan and made our visit a delight. Be sure to ask him about the strange place up the hill!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank thompcha
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My law partner and I were recently called away from the United States to handle a client matter in the Dominican Republic. We had less than 24 hours between notification and departure... it was a frantic situation, to say the least.

The frantic nature of the our trip, combined with the typical adjustments required when visiting a new (and very different) country, could have made for a nightmare. Because of Carl, Jolee (sp?), and the Tropix Hotel, that was simply not the case. Stressful afternoons of navigating the Dominican legal system were washed away in the bright clean pool. Adjusting to a completely different culture was a breeze, thanks to Carl and the rest of the delightful staff. My rusty Spanish was never an issue; in fact, all of the staff seemed to delight in helping me remember a word or phrase. When the day was finished and it was time to retire, the rooms were perfect - spacious, inviting, and clean.

If you are looking for a full-service resort, Hotel Tropix is not for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for the hospitable and relaxing feeling that is typically only found in a bed and breakfast, the Hotel Tropix cannot be beat.

My wife and I hope to return to the DR within the year (this time for vacation, not business). Without a doubt, we will be staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Michael B
Naples, Florida USA
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I just returned from a trip with my daughter to Dominican Republic. We had the pleasure of staying at the Tropix Hotel in Sosua for three nights and it was, without a doubt, the highlight of our trip. It's location, on a quiet street a few blocks from the main street and the beach, was perfect. We could walk everywhere we wanted to go. The room was very spacious, clean, air conditioned and nicely decorated in a bright, tropical theme. The beautifully landscaped courtyard area is centered around a refreshing swimming pool. Breakfast, served poolside, was very good and inexpensive. The pancakes (made by Juan) were a must try. They were delicious. Our host, Carl, was very friendly and welcoming. He went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. He had great recommendations for local restaurants and sites to see in the area. He and Juan were even nice enough to take us to the '27 waterfalls' (a must see) and wait patiently until our tour was done. Then they took us to a restaurant serving authentic dominican food and on a tour of the area. It was fun to sit around and chat with Carl and the other guests about the culture, history and life in the D.R. If you are looking for a relaxing place that's a little lower key and not a big all-inclusive with way too many tourists, you will really enjoy the Tropix Hotel. It's a great value (at $44/night) for a gem like this. We were lucky to find it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pat W
Spring Lake, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This was the 3rd time I've stayed at the Tropix over the last 15 years. Sylvie, the prior co-owner who passed away, was sorry missed but Carl, the manager, and his staff could not have been more accomodating and helpful. The hotel retains the same charm evident when I first stayed there some 15 years ago.

Room Tip: We chose a "suite" for just US$10 more/nite & enjoyed the extra space. I've staye...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Jim S
Westfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Tropix was the perfect place for my daughter and I to catch up with each other after a busy school year. From the moment we arrived the sense of peace and relaxation that we both craved was there. Getting away from the hectic pace of day to day life - television, work, responsibilities - was the goal of this vacation. We found that, and so much more during our stay at Tropix. Our inn keeper, Carl and all the staff made sure that we were comfortable and happy throughout out our stay. With Carl's help we were able to spend a magnificent day at Playa Grade and experience some of the local flavor never available to guests at the so-called all inclusive resorts. I will forever remember peaceful evenings, poolside, under the stars. My only regret? We didn't stay longer. I will be returning!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family