“December Paradise”

Cabarete Palm Beach Condos
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“December Paradise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I traveled to Cabarete for our 15th wedding anniversary. We adored this location with only a few minor qualifications. The Palm Beach Condo was lovely. Is it not a full-service hotel, so don't expect that if you come here. Instead, we loved it for the cleanliness, service, location on the beach, proximity to windsurfing rentals, and beautiful views.
The things we didn't like are an echo of the other reviews. The all-inclusive place next door is annoying. Fortunately, during our 5 days there, the music was pretty tame and only too loud a few times. Also, there are many, many vendors on the beach. However I did not find them too bothersome. As mentioned by another reviewer, say "no thanks" politely and firmly, and they move on. Having said that, I had a fabulous massage and pedicure without leaving my beach chair - loved that!

Close to the condos, I would recommend the following:
EZE Beach Bar and Grill (a short walk down the beach)
Restaurant at the Villia Tania Hotel (just next door)
Friends Restaurant on the main street
Iguana Mama for adventure tours (specifically the Magic Mushroom was terrific)
Janet's Grocery store

If you are traveling to Cabarete for windsurfing or kiteboarding lessons, BE AWARE, the water is very deep! I am not comfortable as a beginner in such deep water. If you are experienced, this shouldn't bother you too much!

Room Tip: We loved the units closest to the beach with great views of the water. The units further back may b...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank samandted
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Beautiful accomodations, friendly staff, BUT VERY NOISY from about 9.a.m. to after 11 p.m. and there is nothing that you can do about it. The noise comes from the hotel next door. They have a huge speaker box that is aimed at you. A man with a microphone yells and screams non-stop. You cannot hear the surf, and even with the doors closed, you cannot sleep.They have the base turned up so the pulsating vibrations make sleep impossible. I am in my 70's and my husband is in his 80's, and we just wanted to relax and listen to the sea and watch the kite-boarders. Our daughter had been working very hard and long shifts and all she wanted to do was the same as we. We had to search for the guard and he had to call the manager (or someone else in charge) who were not on the property and they called the police but there are no laws to enact to quieten the noise.
The beds were very hard. I have back problems and was in a lot of pain every morning. Our daughter begged the management to refund our $ so we could find another place but they flatly refused. They offered us a ground floor unit that had not been renovated and would not consider refunding the difference in cost. The last two days they put us in a top floor apartment by the road and the noise was a lot less but that was too late after almost three weeks. We all think that they demand all the money up front as no one in their right mind would want to stay there unless they were stone deaf. Velero Beach Resort does not do that. After reading some reviews on their Cabarete Palm Beach Condo website I have come to the conclusion that the management probably put them on themselves.
If I save someone the horror of staying there by reading this I will feel somewhat vindicated. My nerves are still shot and I have difficulty in sleeping at night as I feel SO humiliated!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Brenda B
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

Booked my phone and explained I wanted a newly decorated condo as shown on the web site as my parents (in their 70s and 80s) were coming - we wanted peace and to hear the sea and would be in the condo a lot not out kite surfing. I work long hours... etc etc.

We were given 104, 1st floor up on the left side from the beach. Unfortunately, it directly overlooks the Tropical Club bar and pool area - all inclusive place next door. We were forced to listen to cheap repeating music from 9am through to at least 11pm every single day. Too loud to sit on the balcony. Too loud to sit inside without hearing it with the doors shut and aircon on full blast. The noise was unbearable, ever present and drove us mad.

Then Christmas Eve it got so loud even earplugs didn't work, then a guy with a microphone yelling at 9pm to 11 most nights of the holiday season. Then on New Years Eve they got in a live band with 10ft high speakers and went to 1.30am then more music all night! My poor parents and I were subject too such loud horrible music we were in tears! Everyone in the Palm Beach Condos would hear it, some told us they didn't sleep all night. I even called the police and went next door to ask them to turn down the volume. They laughed. I

I talked to the Palm Beach Condos management and sent emails when they weren't available, even emailed a recording of how loud the noise was. They wouldn't stay there for New Years themselves. I asked for a solution - move me or give me my money back. Refused to give me back any of my money - and be warned you have to paid all in advance.

What did they do? Offered us another condo, on the ground floor (no privacy from people on the beach and lesser value) so we turned it down. No offer of any money back! Little did we know the music would get much much worse and yelling in microphones would start during the day and at night. Then they gave us keys to sleep in another condo as the music was too loud to sleep. We'd have to live with it during the day. Then the last 2 days out of our 20 day trip they moved us to a lovely penthouse 2 bed condo on the other side at the back furthest from the beach. Too little too late.

The Palm Beach Condo management can do nothing about the resort next door despite talking to them and other locals involved.

I can't understand why they put us in the worse apartment for noise.

Beds are on the hard side - quite hard actually.

So if you go over Christmas and New Year be warned! And don't stay in 104 right over the bar even though it is a lovely condo. Because believe me, it will drive you insane listening to the same music all day. Noise is significantly worse in 104 then any other.

On the plus side - beautifully laid out condo (the premium ones). The old one are very tired looking but the penthouse one, 3rd floor, was lovely - we could stay out on the balcony and barely hear the music during the day and actually enjoyed it enormously. Possibly out of season this place would be great. The beach is right there and the staff are very helpful. The maid cleans your condo every day and she is very sweet. The english speaking guard, Edwardo, tried everything to help us and moved all our stuff for us. Milagros, the site manager was sympathetic but couldn't resolve it for us.

Locale

We went for coffee in the Friends cafe run by a nice French lady - great coffee, crepes and very reasonably priced. The grocery store is a little walk up the beach towards the Velero resort. Well stocked. Lots of restaurants on the beach very close. You'll notice the ones that are popular and largely those are the best ones. I liked the restaurant on the beach to the right of the resort - nice wine there (unlike the other places they don't keep the wine in low temperature) - nice chilled Chilean red. Their chicken avocado cheese wraps are delicious. Sea is warm, waves can be a bit much to get out to swim but lovely if you do. if you can get to the Otra Cosa - expensive French restaurant near the Veloro resort - excellent food.

Do be warned that on the beach there is a constant stream of people selling things, but if you are polite they move on. Can be as much as 11 people in 4 mins ....

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank LozzaInLondon
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2011

We just returned from a three-night stay at the Cabarete Palm Beach Condos and we thought the CPB condos were great. What you see is what you get in terms of the website images. We were impressed with the size of the apartment, it's location and (our favorite part) the oceanfront views.

Tips if you're going:
-- Our unit had a CD boombox that can be connected to an iPod/MP3 player, but you'll need to bring a connecting cable (with an identical plug on each end, the kind used in cars).
- Unit 206 was under construction while we were there (late November). They're doing a gut renovation and there was some construction noise starting around 9-10am. We were in unit 106 and, with the doors shut, it was quiet in the morning.
- The kitchen came with a microwave, toaster, stove and coffee maker. They provided us with a full water cooler jug which was helpful.
- There's a small safe in the unit, which carries a $100 fee if you loose the key.
- The front desk provides beach towels and there are free beach chairs

The staff - the manager Milagros and housekeeping - provided great service. Milagros also gave us daily weather updates on Sosua that helped us plan our day.

It rained a bit (light daytime showers on two afternoons, heavy rains on two nights) but we made the best of it. The rain made the water and waves a little rough in Cabarete and Sosua, which made swimming a little more tough. But it remained warm and we got in a good amount of beach time, so we were happy.

The unit's covered balcony was a good place to spend time and wait out the showers. Our balcony had doors that swung open into the unit, which was nice. They also have some units with doors that slide open like screens, which looked great as well.

Our recommendations: La Casita de Don Alfredo (on the beach), Dick's for coffee/breakfast (on the main road), Sandro's (on the main road), 2nd floor pool bar/lounge (across from Miro on the main road, all locals), LAX (on the beach). The beach was pretty quiet given the low season, but we found nightlife spots and the condos were very central to bars/restos. Sunday night, however, was pretty dead as it's the night that most places are closed in Cabarete.

Other hotel options that looked good to us included Le Reef (next door) and the Millenium (further down from restos/bars) which looked fun and trendy.

All in all, we were looking for a better option than the canned resort experience and the CPBC made our stay very memorable. We'd return!

Room Tip: Unit 206 is under construction as of Nov 2011 Covered balconies are a good idea during the rainy se...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank A G
IOWA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

We have stayed at the Palm Beach Condos for the past two years. It was built in the '80, but is extremely well maintained and managed. Our unit was recently upgraded with granit counter tops, new appliances and all new bathrooms. Just right for a beach get-away! This condo is just steps from the beach and shopping. It is quiet and safe. They have daily maid service fresh bottled water and is in walking distance to Janet's super market as well as other smaller "convienience' stores. This location is perfect for relaxation or for families. Nancy "with the pink hat" gives great massages on the beach for $20 per hr. We had one daily! We looked at other hotel/condo complexes in Cabarete like Ocean One and the Wyndham Tangerine (all-inclusive), but would rather stay at Palm Beach Condos. It is a short 10 min cab ride from the Puerto Plata Airport and from then on you do not need a car. Everything is close. Lax bar and Restaurant, Pomodoros Pizzaria, La Casita and Jose O'Shay's are just steps away. This is a very clean, safe and quiet place to relax and get out of the cold. Try it! You'll like it!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple