“It is not bad for us.”

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Songkhla
Penang Island, Malaysia
“It is not bad for us.”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The location was nice; convenient to move around to other places of interest such as Kim Yong Market, Lee Garden Plaza, morning market and much more and it is just within 5-15minutes walking distance. Another thing, the price was affordable for us as students. Besides that, the hotel staffs was very polite and efficient. They was tried to communicate with us with fluent English and readily resolved everything with a smile. Unfortunately, there was poor lighting at toilet. Hope V.L. Hotel will improve this problem as soon as possible. =(

It would be my choice for next time return to Hatyai, I would like to stay there again next time.

(Similar with my review on booking.com about this hotel)

Room Tip: At the traffic light junction. near to fly over
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Suyumomotaro_0110
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Thai first
Selangor, Malaysia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my family as we did not make prior booking and we found out that this is one of the cheapest and good location hotel around. For THB 900/room, it is cheap and nice as you get a room with twin beds and an LCD TV mounted on the wall. Have good TV channels including Malaysia's TV3. Fairly clean and this is a non-smoking hotel which makes it clean and no smell of cigarette.

It is also near the Hat Yai junction if you want to catch a train and if you are going to Malaysia, the Konsortium Bas Ekspres office is just a short 6-mins walk to the central area, near the Lee Garden Plaza. Quite quiet at night as it is not located at the central area but a short walk will bring you to the street vendors near the Lee Garden Plaza.

Staff are also nice and helpful Can speak decent English.

The setbacks are small lift, lack of parking space where you have to park opposite the road and it is quite dangerous at times to cross the road to get to the car [if you are driving your own car]

Room Tip: Ask for room which overlooks the downtown area. Mine is looking the railway track. Nice to see the t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kairulizwan
Singapore
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I am a four-star hotel kind of guy, but an impromptu visit at a busy time meant that only budget hotels, including V.L. were available. I wasn't to regret this.

The room is small, and a bit old, but nothing is missing, broken or dirty. Every day the cleaners stock the fridge with four bottles of icy water. You cannot discard the bottles, or you are fined 10 baht, which is a trivial amount, and 'green'. Internet is an add-on, but a very reasonable 20 baht (<$1). The internet card says time is unlimited, but there is a bandwith cap.

The bathroom was well cleaned, with a bath and a few toiletries, but no toothbrush.

The restaurant on the second floor is open from 7am to 1am. I found the breakfast buffet (100 baht) tasty, and the evening food was divine (with more than one hundred options, three dishes and a beer coming to about 400 baht).

The location was great - a few blocks from the center of the city, without the attendant crowds.

For me, VL was a surprise find. If I was returning alone, I would stay there again. If I was travelling with partner or family, I might try for upmarket.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SingaporeMatt
lewes uk
Reviewed 2 December 2011

Stayed here for one night recently when I needed to be fairly close to the station. Location is good, maybe a 5 minute walk to Hat Yai Juntion the main station and the same to shopping malls, Central Department store and Robinson's etc. Plenty of food options nearby too.
The rooms are on 12 floors, mine was on floor 9 and was a good size and comfortable, but a bit grubby around the edges and traffic noise was a bit of an issue until about 1am. Bathroom small but very good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Air-con good and not noisy, fridge and flatscreen TV with international channels. Wi Fi is an add on extra but patchy at the ends of the corridors where my room was so it didn't really work and the reception staff couldn't offer a solution, a room change would have helped but they only offered a refund which wasn't much use as I needed the internet (a local cafe/icecream/coffee shop "B's Sweet" just by Odeon Mall offers free wifi and good food and nice staff, go there if you want to use the internet)
I was travelling alone and I found the doormen/porters very pushy. In the lift after a quick talk about footbal one of them became overfamiliar and started "buddy" touching presumably trying sell me some "extra" sevices, I found this pretty unpleasant.
So, in summary, a convenient and cheap option with some good points and a few bad, another time I would probably look elsewhere

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank paulosussex
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I stay in because the Holiday Hatyai I always stay had been fully booked. With no choice, I told my travel agent I would like to stay in a hotel with lesser money. He recomend me this hotel due to others all had fully booked. I pay 780 bath for the hotel. Internet use with Computer is 20 bath for 30mins.

Disappointed with the twin room. The room is very small, the bed is single, the bathroom is so small and looks very old. I told my agent I want to change the room next night.

However, I found the hotel location is very good to go for the Kim Yong market n also the Big local market. The Fried Thai noodle & fried oster egg in front of the hotel is very good (open after 9pm).

A compliment for the room is, even I stay in front of the lift, I still have a queit sleep thru the night.

The room sound proof is good But the mattress is so.. so...

Please note that I am very fussy on bathroom, mattress quality and noisy/sound.

I will try other hotel for next visit. For the first comer and not fussy, you may choose to stay here since it is cheaper then the main shopping area hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Angelbaby_Ong
Also consider these accommodations in or near Songkhla
0.3 km away
New Season Hotel
#7 of 91 in Hat Yai
1.8 km away
Buri Sriphu Boutique Hotel

Been to V.L. Hatyai Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK