“More of a three star hotel”
Review of Hotel Kimberly

Hotel Kimberly
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Tagaytay
asia
“More of a three star hotel”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We availed of Kimberly Hotel's Valentines's day promo for P5,499 nett in a deluxe room that came with a set dinner for two with champagne and massage for one. The package also came with breakfast for two. Kimberly hotel is on Amadeo Road which is a few minutes away from the Tagaytay roundabout. Calls itself a four star hotel but in my opinion, its more of a three star hotel. We were expecting to have a nice quiet romantic dinner but the hotel was hosting a wedding that day so we had the annoying voice of the wedding's host as our romantic dinner background. The set dinner was ok. Nothing special. The set had salad, soup, entree of your choice and dessert. Hubby's quarter chicken and pasta was a disappointment. The quarter cut was so puny (the cut was probably from a spring chicken). I was happy with my tenderloin steak though. It was a generous serving of two 4-5ounces of tenderloin. The supposed "chefs ice cream special" was strawberry ice cream with chocolate syrup and a cherry on top (my 6 yr old could do that special :-) ) Breakfast buffet was adequate. Fried tawilis, ham, corned beef with rice and eggs were served along with salad greens and fruit. Pancakes and arroz caldo were also among the selection. The buffet came with free flowing juice and barako coffee.

The de luxe room we had was spacious and clean but dated. Our room fronted Amadeo road. It wasn't a very busy road but the sound of the tricycles could get you up in the morning along with the gazillion cockerels in the property and around the neighborhood. The bathroom had a tub. Aircon (window type) was noisy. The bed was not comfortable. The mattress was hard and uneven. The sheets although they looked clean smelled like they came from a moldy closet. The tub in the bath leaked all over the bathroom floor after each use. The hotel had a pool, a nice big playground, function rooms, recreation area, a fishing pond (not operational when we were there) and a small farm.

During check out, we were charged for a bottle of water and a bag of Nagaraya nuts. Apparently, you will be charged for the bottled water in the ref and not the bottled water on top of the ref. We didn't notice any sign to inform you us of this and we did not bother to check because we assumed the water bottles were complementary since they were all bottled with the hotel's name on it. No big deal however we did not consume any Nagaraya nuts from the minibar. The lady at the front desk asked us to wait and she later tells us that housekeeping insists that the minibar set is complete. I tell her simply that I won't deny eating a pack of Nagaraya nuts especially if it's only a lousy 25 bucks. She obviously did not take my word for it and had to verify with the head of housekeeping this time. Instead of getting an apology, she informs me that they will just waive the charges. Hinting that an apology was the proper thing to do, I tell her that housekeeping has to be careful regarding this lest to charge guests erroneously. Still, she adamantly points out that the head of housekeeping insists that the items were complete. In short, it was like they were doing me a favor by waiving the charges not realizing that they were actually causing us an inconvenience. Wow! For a lousy 25 bucks, they were willing to destroy a customer relationship. That's smart.

Well, if not for the silly pack of nuts incident, I was telling hubby that this hotel will be a good place to take the kids while we were having breakfast. I'm taking that back. We will probably be better off somewhere else. To take the incident aside and give my unbiased opinion, I'd say that this is not the ideal place for a romantic getaway especially when you're set to impress. You may consider this place for conferences, camps or even a short family vacation. It will be better to chance on their promo rates and not book with the regular rates.

Room Tip: Do not get rooms facing the main road especially if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank ditz_8
Nat0123, General Manager at Hotel Kimberly, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Ditz_8,

It's with regret that I read of your disappointing experience with our front desk reception. I can vouch that subpar service is really the exception with us not the rule Be assured the matter will be addressed immediately along with your other concerns. Please accept our heartfelt apologies.

Natalie Ng
Managing Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We had a perfect New Year get-away! My kids loved this place so much. They had different breakfast to choose from (for kids and for adult). My kids loved the playground. We have no time to use their entertainment area due to lack of time, maybe when we go back here, we'll spend more days. I had a nice sleep. Nice bed and pillows. All inside the room are functioning well. Very clean. Our family loves a quiet place and we're satisfied.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank badethzkie
marikina
Reviewed 4 January 2012

highly recommend this for families. i have 3 teenage girls and they are not shy to say, "best Christmas ever!" staff are very welcoming and attentive.

we got a premiere room for 2 nights on the 3rd floor which was quite clean; beds are very comfortable, allowing for much needed restful sleep. cable tv service not so good, as with everywhere else anyway, but they have a dvd player so I suggest you bring some of your favorite movies. wifi connection in the room is ok for social networking. the bathroom is not pristine but clean enough. complimentary toiletries are complete. only problem is the drain in the shower is slow, as mentioned in other reviews.

breakfast buffet is lovely, has good variety and delicious. staff at the cafe are very attentive despite the rush season. we availed of the Christmas dinner and it was quite wonderful.

the game room made me happy to see my teen girls away from their laptops & gadgets. they spent a lot of time there. i saw other families doing bonding there as well. they have pingpong, billiards, air hockey and foozball. these moments are golden! even if you're not good at these games, try a them!

the play area meant for kids also found itself used by teenagers. the bonfire where you can roast marshmallows (purchased at the grill station near the pool for only Php30) was a December special. i think they should have it every weekend all year round.

Awesome vacation! We hardly ever left the hotel. Well worth the money, and it doesn't even cost much to begin with. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank marianne z
Manila
Reviewed 6 December 2011

We stayed here 3 weeks ago as we attended a marathon in Tagaytay highlands. The place is kinda far from action it is about 5-8 KM from main road. But it turned out to be nice as they have more space around the hotel. It is quiet and peaceful. Hotel is relatively brand new and not too busy. There are no one to share the pool with and play ground. Great for quiet weekend for family. Their room is also bigger and bed are comfy. They got good promo that they offer book one family room get another free. They also the only hotel i know that anything and everything on the room is free. yes all the goodies in their mini bar is consumable. Plus they have nice veggie pizza at night HUGE and FREE. Great place for family weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jaypee0501
Manila
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We had a hard time finding the hotel (we were driving) as it seems to be too far from the City proper. Finally, upon reaching the hotel, my first impression was it was better and more modern looking than its posted photos. Lots of available parking awaited us. As we checked in, first hardship I encountered was using its weird holed key. After 5 tries, finally opened it and entered our room.

The room was bigger than I expected, having read complaints of guests of other similar rated hotels that the rooms were small. Second thing I noticed was the good smell of the room.

I had the pool side view which was ok. The 4 floor set-up made the hotel very homey and it did not feel like a cramped city type hotel. I guess this is the advantage of being so far from the center. Bed was ok. comforter was just ok. Aircon was cool. TV had lots of channels. Well, that's all I need for a hotel.

For the cons, true to the reviews, bathroom has this weird stuffy smell. Not so good. But bearable. I wasn't planning to stay in the bathroom anyway. lol. The smell of the room more than offsets the bathroom smell. Bathroom was quite spacious also. I had previously read that the hotel walls are not so sound proof. Good thing there were only a few guests that time so we had no problem with that. I barely heard our adjacent room's TV anyway (only upon opening our side of the connecting door did I hear the other room).

In any case, I kept my voice low so as not to disturb other. Value for its money. Be sure to ask for promos prior to booking as I skipped a very good promo by forgetting to ask them.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends