Review Highlights
A must-experiece in Bagan! :)

It was lovely spending time with May being able to learn about Myanmar's culture and cuisine. We... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
CristinaB3387
Hidden gem in Bagan

This class was a highlight of my four days in Bagan. The instructor/host May was lovely and... read more

Reviewed 22 July 2018
Nikki B

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Bagan
from US$ 20.00
More Info
from US$ 350.00
More Info
All reviews curries local market local children evening class burmese food tea shop learning experience vegetables and fruits new bagan pumpkin curry amazing experience great morning temple hopping a lot of fun myanmar trip highlight of our trip classes
Reviewed 27 March 2018

May met us in the early morning and took us to the local market where we got to shop for fresh ingredients to make the lunch that we wanted. She also treated us to a local style breakfast at the market (mmmm SPICEY), we then walked back to her place and spent the morning in her back yard turned outside kitchen cooking amazing food! May speaks perfect English and it was astounding how quickly she came up with dishes based on the ingredients that we picked out.
We also found out she is using her profits to build libraries, schools, and going out into the poor villages to provide them with simple items like soap and books. A very inspiring woman!

Maythu, Owner at Pennywort Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2018

Thank you so much,Ally.

Reviewed 1 March 2018

If you're tired of temple hopping in Bagan, you can head to new Bagan and enroll yourself in this wonderful cooking class which is run by a generous lady named May. I have been to several cooking classes in different parts of the world, but I can say that this course is one of the most impressive ones. The size of the class was so small (there was only me and two friendly travelers from Chile), allowing you to have a meaningful conversation with the instructor and fellow attendees. I learned so much from May about people's way of life in Myanmar and about social works that she has been doing for the community in Bagan. I also had a great time interacting with the fellow participants.

Food served in the class was the best I had in Myanmar, May taught me the typical everyday meals in Myanmar which taste wonderful! She also took us to the nearby traditional market for doing groceries. We were allowed to pick veggies of our choice to later be cooked at May's home. On our way back from the market, my e-bike's battery run out and May went all the way to help me get my new functioning e-bike. The price of the class was affordable and worth the experience, 20% of the fee will proceed to donation for a library run by May. There's no reason to not book it, if you're going to Bagan you should attend this class. Wonderful cultural experience. This place deserves all the best reviews!

Thank you so much,Arya.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

My 8 year old daughter and I had the best time at Pennywort Cooking Class. In fact, she said that was the best part of her trip! We met at the market and May (our instructor) showed us all the different vegetables, nuts, eggs etc were and and how to check if fish are fresh etc. In fact, she asked us all what we would like to use in our dishes we were preparing that day. May even gave my daughter some money to pay for some of the food, which she enjoyed. It was very interesting experience going with a local as you really understand the in's and out's of the market. Cooking was a lot of fun as well. Who knew how much prep there was to Burmese food. It was a delightful experience and May was warm and kind to everyone especially my daughter. I plan to do more cooking classes on future trips.

She

1  Thank lesiai2015
Maythu, Owner at Pennywort Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Thanks a lot,She.

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We started our morning off with a trip to the market to see the busy Burmese marketplace. May was so good, she explained how the different vegetables, herbs and fruits were used in traditional Burmese cooking. We were then given money to go and buy the vegetables and herbs of our choice which was an exciting experience. May then took us to try tea and Burmese sweet treats. We walked back to her house where we spent time preparing and cooking 13+ different dishes. May gave us all different roles in the preparation and cooking process. She speaks English well and is able to answer any of your questions. She shares all the recipes at the end of your tour and provides you with a take home spice pack. All her profits go to her charity programs. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and it was great to get a taste of the everyday life of the Burmese! Highly recommend.

Maythu, Owner at Pennywort Cooking Class, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2018

Thank you so much,Jessica.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

This is the first cooking class I had ever done and thoroughly enjoyed it. May is a lovely lady, along with her sister, who open up their home to help you cook some of the best food you will have in Myanmar. Starting with shopping in the local market, you are able to taste some of the food, understand what it is and she asks you what you would like to try to have in your dishes. So we went for anything that we could not get back home (which is most things). Fresh tofu and chickpeas are so different to the dried stuff we get in the UK. The class is also a great chance to meet other travellers and share experiences of Myanmar and get some great tips and advice. We cooked 13 dishes in the end - a feast of amazing food that we could not do justice to. May also sends you the recipes so you can try and replicate at home. Finally the money you pay helps support the local community to a project inspired by May. A truly amazing lady.

Thank you so much,Helen.