“Great experience!”

Pennywort Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 3 Food & Drink in Bagan
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We offer morning or afternoon cooking classes. The morning class starts at the New Bagan market at 07.30am where we browse and do some shopping the walk to my house for cooking and lunch. The afternoon class starts at my house at 3:30 pm and we chat, cook and enjoy dinner. Our aim is to introduce you not only to Myanmar food but also our culture, lifestyle and how food and dining is a key part of our social life. We are not professional chefs, we just love sharing food and stories with travellers. The class is at our house with local cooking equipment and traditional recipes- part of it is hands-on and part is demonstration. The menu includes soup, salad and main course. We do require advance bookings so that we can prepare. Please let us know your name, your hotel (in case we need to contact you) and any food allergies or dietary requirements. The class is 20 USD per person (Please note that we cannot accept credit cards!) which includes the class, all food and drinking water, tea and coffee. 20% of the tour price going to the Kuthodaw Library, a library we set up to promote reading to the young people in our neighbourhood. We do hope you will come cook with us! Please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you, Maythu
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

This class is highly recommendable! The food is great and May is incredible. Such a lovely person. Our group was great, we had a lot of fun and a great dinner.

All reviews
"small group"
"temple hopping"
"a lot of fun"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

May met us in the early morning and took us to the local market where we got to shop for fresh ingredients to make the lunch that we wanted. She also treated us to a local style breakfast at the market (mmmm SPICEY), we then walked back to her place and spent the morning in her back yard turned outside kitchen cooking amazing food! May speaks perfect English and it was astounding how quickly she came up with dishes based on the ingredients that we picked out.
We also found out she is using her profits to build libraries, schools, and going out into the poor villages to provide them with simple items like soap and books. A very inspiring woman!

Reviewed 15 March 2018

As per our asking for cooking class inn Bagan to our tour operator in Myanmar,we joined morning cooking class with gentil,excellent May.After going to Bazzar,we came back to cooking class and she explained well patiently variteis of Burmese dishes

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Actually , I thought Myanmar cuisine are cook to difficult . But at class , our chef showed and taught very patiently how to prepare and cook Myanmar cuisine . We got many experience at there and must to go again .

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 March 2018

If you're tired of temple hopping in Bagan, you can head to new Bagan and enroll yourself in this wonderful cooking class which is run by a generous lady named May. I have been to several cooking classes in different parts of the world, but I can say that this course is one of the most impressive ones. The size of the class was so small (there was only me and two friendly travelers from Chile), allowing you to have a meaningful conversation with the instructor and fellow attendees. I learned so much from May about people's way of life in Myanmar and about social works that she has been doing for the community in Bagan. I also had a great time interacting with the fellow participants.

Food served in the class was the best I had in Myanmar, May taught me the typical everyday meals in Myanmar which taste wonderful! She also took us to the nearby traditional market for doing groceries. We were allowed to pick veggies of our choice to later be cooked at May's home. On our way back from the market, my e-bike's battery run out and May went all the way to help me get my new functioning e-bike. The price of the class was affordable and worth the experience, 20% of the fee will proceed to donation for a library run by May. There's no reason to not book it, if you're going to Bagan you should attend this class. Wonderful cultural experience. This place deserves all the best reviews!