“Great service”

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Balikpapan
Jakarta
“Great service”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The hotel provide good ambience. the staff were very nice and helpful. First drink provided. Like the hotel design, but not too much for the rooms.

Room Tip: Upper is better
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NicholaiDendi
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I have stayed at the Aston quite a few times whilst on business travel. I have always rented the 2 bedroom units and have them to be clean and spacious. I would recommend asking for rooms higher in the complex as there can be noise early morning.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I stayed here with my mum for a week while we were visiting her family as she is Indonesian. You arrive at the hotel with a nice view of the ocean and it's breeze coming through the lobby. We stayed in the right building as your entering the lobby on the same side as the restaurant. We had a 2 bedroom/2 bath unit with living area and balcony where we could also see the ocean. The apartment was clean and furnished with simple yet contemporary flare. We got complimentary buffet breakfast everyday which was also nice with a selection of hot and cold, western and Indonesian food. I had the bubur ayam (chicken porridge) everyday with some pastries, fruit and mie or nasi goreng. All in all we were very satisfied with the place, our family came by everyday and some stayed overnight with us too. I've stayed in hotels all over the world, big and small, high end and road motels...and for Balikpapan this was just fine for the price.

Room Tip: facing the ocean if you can
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My Dad and I stayed here on our way back to London, after a diving holiday in Berau.

We'd booked 2 executive rooms on hotels.com. When we checked in, we were shown to our rooms in no time at all. My father 'a room was fine, but mine stank of cigarettes - even though I'd requested a non smoking room.

I rang down to change rooms and they said they'd run out of non smoking deluxe rooms, so would upgrade me to a superior room.

Great service. However, I had in fact, paid and booked for the higher category executive room.

They quickly moved my Dad and I to the correct category room (although I think their system showed we'd booked the lower category room).

The deluxe rooms were perfectly adequate, with a sofa and desk in the room, complete with kitchenette area.
The executive room was very large with a separate lounge / dinning room just off the kitchenette. There were two bedrooms and two bathrooms - making this a great option if you're travelling with friends. There was also a water cooler which was very welcomed with the heat!

There were 3 separate air conditioning units; one in the lounge and then one in each of the bedrooms,

The shower was powerful with plenty of hot water.

The restaurant in the hotel was good, with well priced food. However, the red wine was very hot and exceptionally overpriced (but think it's the Indonesian tax as opposed to the hotel)

The swimming pool is a decent size and is in a great spot looking down onto the sea.

The wi fi reception was good and it was refreshing for it to be free.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and I would definitely recommend it to anyone overnighting.

• Stayed April 2012
Paris
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I never do it before, but after 6 months in Aston I'm here to write my first review ever.
Aston is very bad experience for me. It's 2 star hotel, my opinion!
I' ve lived there 6 months, so:
Very dirty, oily stains on furniture and on the doors.
They told that apartment is new.
ACE didn't work good, leaking on the floor and sofa, they tried to fix it, but nothing.
Also, light under ACE didn't work and they didn’t fix it.
To little light in apartment.
When you turn on all lights in apartment in the evening you can’t see nothing under bad or sofa, it's dark.
Terrible installation-ACE box leaking also on the small balcony and all water from ACE and rain going into the walls and floor and floor was going up.
Wallpapers in apartment because of water come off.
Crazy architect put wallpapers and mirrors above sink and stove in kitchen!
Imagine how it looks when you cooking or washing dishes!
Also smells from sink hole.
Windows disgusting, you can't clean it outside, only inside.
It looks like you live in hothouse.
Also big problem with small holes in walls and floor, because bugs, sorry not bugs cockroach coming from walls, from other empty rooms and apartmanes.
They told that they cleaned my apartment before I moved in.
I had three holes under my bad, one in bathroom and under sofa I don't know how many, because I couldn't move it.
When I moved in I found one dead cockroach under fridge.
After that , 2 under my bed and 1 on the cabinet alive, not dead…etc. all around…
I ordered a “cleaning service “ to clean my apartment again and they cleaned nothing.
They finished after 20 minutes. They don’t understand what means CLEANING.
They didn't move my bad and clean under the bed, they didn’t clean under sofa, disgusting...1 cm of dust!......I did it myself, 6 months.
Few times in the evening I saw rats running in lobby and near pool.
Only good thing in Aston was carbonara.
But I can do it better, so...
In front of hotel evry day one man is working as a bag checker.
That guys are very unpleasant.
Every time when I went outside or coming to hotel, always the same questions: where are you going, where have you been, what did you buy (if I had shop bag), where is your woman, you like ice cream?…WTF! What about my privacy????That’s not his business! His business is to say good morning, good afternoon and welcome and check my language, not to ask me when I’m at home and when I’m not at home and what I will cook.
I paid 6 months rental in advance 42 000 000 IDR + deposit 5 000 000 IDR + 1 330 200 IDR water and electricity /per month(= 6 months= 7 981 200 IDR)+ 333 000 IDR for TV/per month(=6 months=1 998 000 IDR).
All that for what? Stress.
When I told to Aston agent Eka that I'm not satisfied with my apartment and that I want new apartment , she just said that they don't have practice to offer other apartment! WTF!!?
For me? Aston goodbye and sleep well with all that cockroach and rats!
That’s not how one should work in this business

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank ParisBluemoon
Aston B, Public Relations Manager at Aston Balikpapan Hotel & Residence, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. However, your concern and complaints are sent to the wrong company. As you may not notice, the tower where you currently stay are not managed by Aston International but by Grand Sudirman Property Management since August 2011. We are not responsible anymore with that part of the property since they took over the management. You can contact Mr. Riduan or Mr. Satar from the company directly. I have left a message to your inbox and also sent your compliance to them. Please do check again before you post something that harms other people's reputation.

Travellers are raving about these Balikpapan hotels