“Kilimanjaro Climb”

Monkey Adventures
Ranked #1 of 240 Outdoor Activities in Moshi
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Monkey Adventures is a professionally managed tour operator in Tanzania, offering Kilimanjaro climbing tours and Safaris to Northern parks such as Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Tarangire, Lake Manyara and others. We are committed to absolute safety for our guests and we provide equipment that meets international standards & work with certified, experienced & well paid guides, porters. Client satisfaction is our core philosophy & our staff is rewarded based on client feedback always.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Myself and my girlfriend booked a 6 day climb with Monkey Adventures. From start to finish the whole process was simple and stress free due to the professionalism from all involved at Monkey Adventures (MA).

Once we had been MA transferred us to the Keys Hotel in Moshi the Senior Guide, Derrick and Assistant guide, Humphrey met us in the evening to discuss the climb and check our gear and advise us on hire any additional gear.

The next day we were collected by MA for the climb. During the climb out guide Derrick was more than helpful and extremely knowledgeable about the mountain and its surroundings. One our group members had a slower pace than myself and my partner. Rather than keep us at the slower pace Derrick and Humphrey split up to lead us separately.

The food prepared by our cook “Good Luck”, during the trip was exceptional! We even joked that we were eating better on the mountain than that we do at home! We ate fried chicken, deep dish pizza, pancakes and more.

As we climbed higher the altitude started to effect me and my partner. Derrick and Humphrey kept us at ease by ensuring us what we were feeling was completely normal. The daily health checks carried out also helped spot anything that needed attention.

After completing the climb we told Derrick of our plans in Moshi and Arusha. He gave us valuable tips and advice and has also offered to personally take us to the hot springs in Moshi.

I would not only recommend Monkey Adventures for the professionalism of the office staff and operations manager but also by the clearly passionate, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful guides, cook and porters.

All reviews
"special thanks"
in 5 reviews
"group members"

Reviewed 5 April 2018

My boyfriend and I booked the 6-day Marangu route which is the recommended route during the rainy season because accomodation is always in huts.

The communication and preparation upfront with the team from Monkey Adventures was really good. They always replied to my question within less than 24h. In addition, we received a lot of helpful information during the briefing on the evening before the trek. We met our guide Carlson who went through the itinerary with us. In addition, he had a look at our clothes and equipment to evaluate what we would still need from the rental shop.

I strongly recommend to carefully study and follow the checklist for packing which is provided somewhere on the homepage (check FAQs) - you really need all those clothes and equipment. Rental for clothes is quite expensive in my opinion (price list also available on the homepage under FAQs) - e.g. thermo bottoms cost $10 for rental. I regretted that I did not bring my ski underwear.

I am convinced that we had the best guide - Carlson :) His motto is "Pole, pole" and apparently his nickname is KP "King of pole, pole". Pole means slow which you will hear a lot during the trek. Carlson has many years of experience. He and the assistant guide Husein were not only our pacemakers. They also taught us a lot about Kilimanjaro and answered all our questions. In addition, they made sure that we were healthy and safe at all times and cheered us up when we believe we wouldn't make it to the top on summit day. Carlson also always spent some time with us after dinner giving us a briefing for the next day but also simply chatting with us.

The food was simple, but good - better and more than I expected during a mountain trek. Breakfast and dinner was served at the huts. For lunch, our chef Michael prepared lunch bags because we would usually be hiking around lunch time. In addition, hot drinks, popcorn and biscuits were served in the afternoon after arrival at the hut.

Thanks a lot again to the whole team - Carlson, Husein, Michael, Omary (the waiter) and all the porters! They are all really, really kind and helpful :)

I can recommend everyone to choose Monkey Adventures when planning your Kilimanjaro climb.

2  Thank HenniGel
Reviewed 5 April 2018

I did the hike last week with Monkey Adventures. My guide, Carlson, was absolutely amazing. He had strong experience with every facet of the trip. I have heard that other guides just walk you to the top without too much care. Carlson guided us well and showed great attention to details and to the condition of each member in the trip. We all felt very well taken care of. The rest of the crew from Monkey Adventures was excellent was well, from booking, to transportation, to renting gear, everything was streamlined and well functioning. I definitely recommend Monkey Adventures to anyone interested in climbing Kilimanjaro.

1  Thank Havard S
Reviewed 4 April 2018

Monkey Adventures was simply amazing, they were professional, knowledgeable and fully prepared. We had two amazing guides., Dixon and Amos, who were absolutely well informed, encouraging and we felt safe with them, they knew everything about the mountain and terrain. We took the 8 days Lemosho route which was absolutely breathtaking. The porters were so nice and respectful, whats nice about monkey adventures is that they are treated well, and have good bags to carry their items.
The Cook was impressive, what he could stir up in a tent was just delicious, from soups, to chicken to stews, pasta, the food was perfect for your appetite, he knew exactly what we had to eat, and when we had to eat it.
The team was professional, they were organized from start to finish, they check what you have to make sure you are well prepared, and they make sure you are breathing right and going to make it the whole way.

Thank you monkey adventures for a truly remarkable experience I will always cherish this memory