Review Highlights
100% a good decision

I was very nervous about travelling and climbing alone however with great communication, fast... read more

Reviewed 16 December 2020
871zarav
via mobile
Ahsantesana!

A wonderful 6 days hiking the Machame route. A solo traveller but very well looked after by my... read more

Reviewed 18 October 2020
stewye86
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Moshi
from US$ 117.45
from US$ 2,564.11
from US$ 81.62
from US$ 66.67
More Info
All reviews marangu route uhuru peak his team lead guide gear rental kilimanjaro trek lunch and dinner hot water wonderful days entire journey pre and post great communication service provided an unforgettable experience excellent company base camp every morning
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 August 2019

The crew were ungrateful about the tip we gave and started asking for more money. We thought we had been fairly generous but they just started ignoring us after they realised the tip was not as high as their expectations. Did ruin the last day of the holiday and the overall memory of the adventure.

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank Jigna P
Reviewed 24 July 2019

I highly recommend a Kilimanjaro trek with Ascend Tanzania! The moment I left the airport everything was handled for me. Transportation, accommodation, and gear outfitting before the trek was all smooth and easy and allowed me to prepare for the trek. The 7 day Machame Route was amazing and only made better by my guide George and support crew. They were willing to match whatever pace I desired and took care of me. They provided excellent service during the trek and ensured that I had a good time with plenty of songs and jokes.The food is also awesome and there was plenty of it! I can't thank them enough for such a great experience.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed 25 June 2019

My old college roommate and I decided late last year to attempt to summit Kilimanjaro and needless to say our budget was limited with being fresh out of school. We did a lot of research before stumbling on Ascend Tanzania, and right off the bat they hit our main criteria:

-Affordability
-Tanzanian Owned & Operated (This was important to us because we'd heard a lot of companies, though employing native porters & guides, are owned and operated by foreigners and we wanted to do everything in our power to support our host country's economy)

We ended up settling on the 6-day Umbwe route beginning on June 13th, 2019. The Ascend Tanzania team were flexible and communicative when it came to transportation to/from the airport, our hotel accommodations, and any concerns we expressed.

We started off by meeting in the hotel restaurant with our guide, Venance, our assistant guide, Gasper, and another representative from Ascend Tanzania to go over our daily itinerary, make plans for rental gear, and discuss any last minute information.

From start to finish, these two guides, our cook Lugalu, and our team of porters were absolutely incredible. Some of the strongest people physically I've ever met, and they were very communicative, candid, and genuine in all the conversations we shared. They worked with us to find the perfect pace based on how we felt each day, and were constantly checking in to make sure everything about our trip was going the way we'd hoped, clearly ready to make changes if needed to make our experience great.

Gasper, our assistant guide, was truly a major reason that I personally got to the summit. His GENUINE encouragement, easy conversation, openness and humor throughout the trek was exactly what I needed to keep pushing. Our main guide, Venance, was very on top of the organization matters of the trip, ensuring that we knew what was coming next, and sharing his vast knowledge of the local wildlife on the way up.

Ultimately, I can't recommend Ascend Tanzania enough, and if you go into it with a positive mental attitude, these guys WILL get you to the top.

Date of experience: June 2019
Reviewed 26 April 2019 via mobile

These folks really did an amazing job making our honeymoon climb super smooth and problem free. Our lead guide George and his assistant Dula let us go at our own pace and made sure we had what we needed, even carrying jackets and odds and ends when our small pack was too full. The food our chef Musa cooked was spectacular. He was making stuff on the side of Kilimanjaro that I'd be hard pressed to make in my own kitchen back home. We had coffee, tea, Milo (chocolate drink) with a variety of condiments. Definitely opt for the private toilet tent, trust us it is worth it. George took us to a pharmacy and we got the altitude sickness medicine for like $3.50 a person. We did the 7 day Machame route, the only hard part was the rapid descent after summiting, but they were patient and encouraging the whole way through. They even got a special cake and sparkling grape juice for a special honeymoon edition summit certificate ceremony. Best guide company on the mountain.

Date of experience: February 2019
Reviewed 8 March 2019

Great team, really professional. Safe tracking, good food. Organize company, easy contact, lovely staffs, super patients. Was wonderful time!

Date of experience: February 2019