See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 October 2012

I stayed for a week at the Gorilla volcanos hotel for a workshop in Musanze. I found the hotel not so clean, they advertise a fitness room and have never even bought equipment, and when checking out the credit card machine wasn't working and they did not offer a fair exchange rate and were difficult about taking our currency and made us go to the ATM to get Rwanda francs.

I don't recommend staying there at all..

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank susanievans
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed in Ruhengeri for 3 nights - so tried a few places for meals. This was a disappointment - I do not think they have the proper infrastructure to compete as a resturant. We had supper there and regreatted not being in one of the neighbouring resturants! Whilst the staff were friendly - the service was slow and the food totally uninspiring - much better meals around the corner!

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2012

While traveling recently in Rwanda, I was fortunate to be able to do a gorilla trek near Musanze. Previous to my two days in the area, I had traveled the countryside far and wide; by the time I got to Muzanze, I was tired, in need of hot water and power, decent food and a great mattress. When we pulled in to the Gorillas Hotel, my heart skipped a beat. With outside pool, a dining room with open doors and a cool breeze blowing throughout, attentive staff which served to please, and noted cleanliness throughout, I was happy to be in a hotel that offered all of these, as well as an abiding sense of safety and security. It sounds trite, but I very much appreciated the simple things there: night stand lamps for reading, well-appointed closets and drawers, a desk, great bed and plenty of hot water for a good shower. Indeed, traveling in Africa, which has its fair share of quaint bed and breakfast's and guest houses, where I had stayed the past several nights, one can find charm and quirkiness not found in chain hotels. However, with sore muscles and a pervading need for privacy and first world amenities, I was so happy to be in this updated hotel that employed all of the above. Highly recommended. Great bang for the buck.

Room tip: Rooms overlooking the pool on the third floor are quiet and offer outdoor balconies.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank Sunshine806777
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Having never been to Rwanda before, Viewbaron and his wife had no idea what to expect, but also stayed here with an open mind.

Pleasantly surprised- perhaps at sounds a little patronising, but I just assumed it would be third world time but was totally wrong.

The hotel itself is in a good location for the obvious primate activity. The rooms are clean and have plenty of hot water.

The food ( Viewbaron likes his fillet steak, so Opted for it ) was well made and pretty cheap in comparison to, say, nairobi hotels.

You can stay here and can expect just as pleasant a visit as one would from a 3 star uk hotel. The local guides also eat here ( we bought ours dinner ) when we caught his eye from across the dining room. Of course there are some shortfalls, but these are only evident if I tried to compare directly to a richer country, which would be slightly obscene.

Date of stay: September 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank viewbaron
Reviewed 13 July 2012

It is always a great drive to Muzanze, the hotel is in the small town by the road side, clean rooms. But evenings are boring, that could be improved by evening events and campfires by the pools?

The food is average.
You can do better Gorilla!

Room tip: I'm a being fair! Show us more of Rwandese culture and hospitality....
Date of stay: February 2012