“Not just for kids”
Review of Drusillas Park

Drusillas Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Berwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Widely regarded as the best small zoo in Europe Drusillas Park offers a fun finding-out day out. Brilliant play areas including Go Wild! Go Bananas! and Amazon Adventure. Plus a splashpad, Hello Kitty Secret Garden and African-themed three-ride attraction Go Safari! Get nose to nose with nature with our close encounters. It’s no ordinary zoo!
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My wife and I are fans of zoos and animal parks and were looking for a new place to visit. We had come across Drusillas Park on numerous occasions having seen other reviews and looked at the website, but had discounted it due to the marketing clearly aimed more towards children.
We decided to give it a visit however, during our Easter break. I am really glad we did as I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Yes, it is clearly designed for families with small children, but the animal exhibits are certainly worth a visit as an adult. The initial impression didn’t start off great though as we obviously visited during a very busy period - school Easter holidays - and the first part of the park immediately upon entering is very narrow and with a large number of noisy children and pushchairs in the way, it made it very difficult to view the first few animals due to the cramped and slow moving conditions. However, once you have passed this bit it does open up and there is more opportunity for crowds to thin out a bit which definitely improves matters.

Drusillas focus on smaller mammals and primates which means they can pack in quite a large variety of different animals in a smaller area. These include some uncommon animals such as Servals, Beavers, Raccoons and a large variety of marmosets and other small monkeys.
The enclosures themselves are beautifully designed and seem to give the animals lots of space to exercise and live in a suitable habitat. As a keen amateur photographer, the enclosures also offer a clear and relatively close view of the animals which allows for some wonderfully close portraits with a suitable zoom lens - this is often not possible in most animal parks due to the distance between where you view the animals and where the animals are actually located.
This is in addition to the walk through areas with the lemurs which gives ridiculously close access to these beautiful animals. There is also a walk through area with rainbow lorikeets and a walk through area with bats and a sloth.

We spent about 2-3 hours at the park viewing all the animals and felt we got our money’s worth.

I would definitely visit again in an attempt to get some more photos of the animals, particularly the ones that were sleeping when we visited. However, I will likely time it during a quieter period - possibly a weekday not in the school holidays to make it more bearable for a childless adult to enjoy. This is not a criticism of the park as it was to be expected, but purely my own personal preference.
They advertise a photographer specific experience which would certainly be of interest

TLDR: Good variety of animals. Excellent enclosures that are very photographer friendly.
Gets very busy during school holidays with lots of very noisy children and lots of buggy traffic which can inhibit movement through the zoo part of the park.
Adults without children can still enjoy the animals as there is plenty to view but with the caveat that there will be lots of noisy children present.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"year olds"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Highly recommended, easily spent a full 6 hours at the park. Lots to see and do, loads of animals and rides to keep my two children under 6 fully entertained. Its rare to find the perfect combination of zoo and theme park in one.The play areas were excellent with two large separate zones for under and over 6s. The splash park looked great (although the weather was too cold on our visit to use), the soft play was a great alternative. It was great to see new rides and investment in the park since our last visit.

Would highly recommend and will go again.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We visited Drusillas the Sunday just passed,
Armed with umbrellas and big coats because rain was forecast.

I left my house about 9 o’clock,
Collecting my cousin and her daughter in her pretty pink frock.

We started our journey getting to Tonbridge quite quick,
Before my cousins daughter covered herself in bright stinky sick.

We then spent an hour driving around,
Before Sainsbury’s and new clothes were eventually found.

We started again, getting to Drusillas about 12,
Entering with tickets that’ve waited patiently on my shelve. (We got snowed off a few weeks ago.)

We started our adventure in the small little farm,
Lots of healthy animals all peaceful and calm.

The children absolutely loved the interactive toys,
Plus the singing clucking chickens which made lots of noise.

Following the farm we walked around the zoo,
At ease with a pram and we never had to queue.

The animals enclosures were big and equipped,
With monkeys all swinging whilst the meerkats all skipped.

The flamingo’s were definitely my highlight of the day,
Beautiful, elegant and on one leg they stay.

I was further delighted by the rainbow lorikeets,
Which sat in flocks on our arms whilst they lapped up their treats.

Other walkthroughs included lemurs and bats,
Living in environments echoing their natural habitats.

Following the zoo we headed for food,
Space at a table in peak time further enlightened my mood.

A veggie meal of Macaroni and Cheese,
Whilst my little boy had nuggets, chips and peas.

The meal came in at around £17,
Including large drinks, that cost is average all round.

We finished our lunch and headed to the small hippo ride,
My son was petrified – he screamed and cried.

He enjoyed Hello Kitty’s car and the little steam train,
Which we went on several time to stay dry, out of the rain.

We ended our day in the huge kiddies park,
Where I damaged my knee after having a lark. (I fell off the huge giant hamsters wheel)

The kids ran wild as we watched them play,
All leaving crying because they wanted to stay.

My son chose Hello Kitty as his toy from the shop,
He cradled it all the way home, careful not to drop.

I highly recommend Drusillas for a day,
A reasonable price with lots to see and play.

I would say the park is aimed at children about 4,
To enjoy all that’s on offer and really explore.

Drusillas P, Manager at Drusillas Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

What a lovely review from HippieInLippy,
Rhyming isn’t our strength, as we’re a bit dippy!

But we’ll do our best to answer in kind,
So hold on to your hats, and please bear in mind...

We don’t often respond to reviews in sing-song,
So you’ll have to forgive us if we get the rhymes wrong!

It’s a shame that the rain wouldn’t go away,
But we’re pleased you still enjoyed your day.

Sorry to hear your cousin’s daughter was sick,
We hope she felt better and was on the mend quick.

Thank you for your remarks about our farm,
Kind comments like that will do us no harm.

Great to hear your kids enjoyed exploring the zoo,
We hope it was good fun for the adults too!

Animal magic is top of our list,
Wonderful to hear that no creature was missed.

Thank you for taking the time to write us this letter,
We tried to match up, but your poem was better!

We hope you come back and visit our zoo,
Perhaps in the summer you’ll return with your crew!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had a lovely day. The outside play area was the main draw, my 6 and 7 year old LOVED it. They also enjoyed the few rides provided. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. As the park was quiet, they just stayed on the rides again and again. The animals were an accessory for my two rather than the main feature as we live close to a zoo so they aren’t a novelty.

We left the park and went to nearby Berwick Inn for lunch and went back to park afterwards.

We paid using Tesco Club card points so a bargain at £26 for four. Entrance price of about £60/70 otherwise. Seems VERY expensive.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

My close encounter of the Linnies Two Toed sloths being shown the freezer of dead mice and other dead creatures, shed snake skin which is used to wrap around the Otters food. The different dietary requirements of the animals in laminated paper. He seemed to really enjoy his job and be dedicated to the animals cause explained how they provide mental entrichment by setting up sloths food like kebabs and using different equipment to mentally stimulate animals and he was impressed that I know so much about sloths as they are my guilty pleasure and to come across someone else as loving of them as me is a nice rarity.

Feeding Sophocles the 8 year old male sloth kept with the fruit bats which I fed and the 2 females flash and Gordon which are in the enclosure with the pygmy marmosets and the tortoises during the long drive back to the North West my feelings were that "I can't believe I have fed and stroked a Linnie's Two Toed Sloth which is something I will never forget and my photographs capture my excitement very well.

All in all my long journey to Drusillias was been well worth it.

Touching Sophocles as he came down the branches closer to me for sweetcorn and seeing his beautiful face with sweetcorn around his nose was the most pleasurable experience.

Drusillas, Guest Relations Manager at Drusillas Park, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Thank you Sabrina for the lovely review. We are so glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Park again soon. Best wishes, Drusillas Park :-)