Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews wilderness safaris game viewing okavango delta leopards mating high expectations wild dogs once in a lifetime helicopter ride walked right every meal red lechwe doc buffalo lion accommodations wildlife reputation
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 July 2019 via mobile

This review is primarily for Safari Adventures Worldwide (henceforth "SAW"), who appear to have no Internet presence at all, besides their own website. I had wanted to book a safari at Mombo Camp, and made an inquiry through the Wilderness Safaris website. They in turn gave my contact information to Charles of SAW, who is based in Colorado and called me the next morning. He asked me what my preferences were, what sort of experience I was looking for, and so on. He then arranged an itinerary and quoted a price. Payment is by check, which made me extremely nervous, because I couldn't find any information about them (and yes, Wilderness Safari did direct me to SAW, but I'm a cautious man, perhaps too cautious). Luckily, SAW was able to provide an alternate payment arrangement that I was comfortable with.

I needn't have worried. SAW are literally a mom and pop (and daughter) shop, and simply want to avoid paying credit card fees. However, Charles has decades of experience in the business, and arranged a trip for me that was an incredible experience that I doubt I will ever again top in my life. And before the trip, Charles and his daughter Sarah were always available via email and phone to answer my questions, and worked to resolve any issues that came up. For instance, when my cruise in Victoria Falls was booked very close to my flight's arrival, Sarah updated me almost daily until she was finally able to book the same cruise for the next day. Especially after listening to other guests in the camp who were frustrated by the agents assigned to them, I felt very fortunate to have had SAW as my agents, and a little foolish to have been so wary of them.

I do have one complaint, though: the packing list they provide is maybe not always accurate; for instance the Wilderness Safari camps provided a pair of binoculars in every tent, and I never used mine. Also, check with the airlines regarding the allowable weight of the bags, as no one even weighed my bags, and I would have packed very differently. But this too, I feel confident Charles can help you with, if you simply ask him.

Anyhow, go ahead and write that check.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Wilderness_Safaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2019

Dear Mister S,

We are delighted to see what a great experience you had with regards to using our enquiry option on the Wilderness Safaris website and an overall fantastic time dealing with our recommendation of Safari Adventures Worldwide. We will be sure to share your kind words with Charles and the team.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 May 2019 via mobile

This is a beautiful camp with wonderful rooms. We stayed in Little Mombo which has 4 rooms. The rooms have a bedroom, a family room, a bathroom with two showers and a beautiful copper tub, an outdoor shower, a plunge pool, a beautiful deck with a couch, table a chairs, a day bed, and beautiful scenery. The rooms are open though screened and wooden shutters help keep the cool out during winter. The warm water bottles in bed each night help keep us warm. Their is a refrigerator fully stocked as well as a bar, a Nespresso coffee machine, a milk frother, and a plunge coffee maker (French Press). The electric system is solar powered. There is free WiFi in every room.
Winter wake up is 6:00 am with light breakfast at 6:30 and game drives from about 7:00 to 11:00. Brunch is served on return with high tea at 4:00 before and afternoon game drive from about 4:30 to 6:30. Dinner is around 7:00.
The game drives are in and around the Okavango Delta and there is much varied wildlife to see. A super experience.
The resort also has a spa, exercise room, and gift shop.
You’ll live in absolute luxury here!

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Wilderness_Safaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2019

Dear Tonypose,

Thank you for the fabulous feedback, we are delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We will be sure to share your kind words with all the staff in cqamp and hope you will visit us again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 18 May 2019

This was our third time at Mombo. The new camp is just beautiful...the tents are spectacular. We loved the tribute wall to many of the animals that have lived in the area of the camp. The tribute wall celebrates the history of the camp. We have been fortunate to see many on past game drives. Mombo has relocated many Rhinos into the area and a special wall is also dedicated to them. We really had a chance to enjoy the tent. We both picked up a bug somewhere along the line...first time for that experience. As bad as you can feel your spirit gets uplifted when an elephant comes to visit at your own plunge pool. The staff took such good care of us. What a shame we missed the great food and wines. We made the best of it and enjoyed special foods made by the chef. Mombo is a Premier camp and the new camp certainly puts it in a top position.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank mwitul
Wilderness_Safaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2019

Dear mwitul,

Third visit makes you a long time family and we are so glad you came back to see the new camp. Botswana Rhino Reintroduction Project: This is the conservation contribution to Botswana of which we are most proud. This ongoing project began as a joint initiative between Wilderness Safaris and the Botswana government in 2001. Since then, core breeding herds of both white and black rhino have been returned to the wilds of Botswana; our Rhino Monitoring Team is based at Mombo.We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Bush regards

Reviewed 4 May 2019 via mobile

My husband and I have been lucky enough to visit many safari camps in South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania. This was our first trip to Botswana and we decided to stay for 4 nights at Mombo Camp. It was by far the most luxurious camp we have stayed in. The rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated. They come fully equipped with your own Olympus camera and binoculars to borrow during your stay. Inside and outside showers, beautiful copper bath, large deck with plunge pool.. the list goes on. My suggestion would be to request staying in room 1 as you are the furthest from the main camp and often have friendly visitors on your deck. We had Ellie’s visit us daily as well as baboons, impala, Buffalo, warthog and many others.
The sightings were truly spectacular. We saw three leopards together which then split up. We watched one hunt and then visited the other two who were mating. We saw lions on a kill as well as multiple other lion sightings. We also saw hyenas on a kill and lots of other hyena dens with pups. The game viewing for predators which they are known for really lived up to their name. The service and food was also out of this world. We did not stop eating the delicious treats they had on offer. Their 24 hour pizza oven is also a must visit! Overall we had a fantastic time and would recommend Mombo Camp to anyone visiting The Delta. We will definitely be going back!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank danielafB3292WF
Wilderness_Safaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2019

Dear danielafB3292WF,

The Mombo wildlife area is known as “the Place of Plenty,” highlighted by the massive concentrations of plains game and predators that live here. These include all the big cats, of which lion sightings are frequent. Leopard, spotted hyaena, large herds of buffalo, elephant, giraffe, blue wildebeest, Burchell's zebra and more abound, while cheetah and wild dog sometimes move through the area. It is here that black and white rhino were first reintroduced into the Delta, to be seen occasionally by a lucky few.

We are thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay with us and glad you were able to make use of the Olympus Camera during your visit. We hope you will visit us again soon.

Bush regards

Reviewed 29 April 2019 via mobile

It is a recently-renewed private concession. it is directly-managed by the wilderness group. it is located in the Chief's island that is part of the moreni game reserve.
They are really proud of being Mombo. the name of the first white rhino (reintroduced in 2002) became the symbol of this lodge.
the staff is vast and highly dedicated to all guests.
It was completely renovated in 2018. it is so absolute luxury that could be a leading hotels of the world. this is superb although it weakens the africa's atmosphere a bit.
Our family tent was huge and very elegant. The safari equipment was excellent: free cameras, binoculars, hats, bags...etc. bedroom wifi and ipad are available.
The safari is spectacular. there are around 70 white and 40 black rhinos thanks the successful conservation project. Our guide Doc was highly expert and very friendly. we had a lot of fun and had an extensive animal checklist. Doc is a legend and we were lucky to have him as our guide.
The main lobby and restaurant are really smart. the food list is relatively wide and the quality high. Mrs Violet was superb in taking care of our meals carefully. we had a wonderful lunch in the bush (excellent food, a luxurious table setting and a perfect service). they also have a dedicated pizza corner and a gift shop.
We think it is the best in Botswana and deserves the expensive price. no further improvements are necessary. no negatives. it is worth the top of the top ranking.

Date of stay: April 2019
2  Thank SmallCharme
Wilderness_Safaris, Public Relations Manager at Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2019

Dear SmallCharme,

Mombo's isolation and sheer diversity of suitable vegetation makes the area ideal for delicate reintroduction projects and for the greater purpose of wildlife conservation. We are delighted to see how much you enjoyed your time with us as well as all the great renovations done in camp.