Wilderness Safaris Mombo Camp
Mapula Lodge(Moremi Game Reserve)
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Camp Moremi(Moremi Game Reserve)
US$ 1,335
  • Pool
Sanctuary Chief's Camp(Moremi Game Reserve)
US$ 2,505
  • Breakfast included
Sango Safari Camp(Moremi Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Hyena Pan Tented Camp(Moremi Game Reserve)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Third Bridge Campsite(Moremi Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
All reviewswilderness safarisgame viewingchief's islandhigh expectationsblack rhinoevery turnelevated walkwayduma tauover the topother guestsokavango deltalion prideevery guestwild dogswildlife experienceonce in a lifetimeherd of elephants
Reviewed 14 July 2012

My husband and I stayed at a number of the Wilderness camps-- including King's Pool-- and Little Mombo outshone them all. Brilliantly managed, great food-- and the drives/animals cannot be beat. Extremely knowledgable guides. I think we saw 4 of the big 5 on our drive... loved it here.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This was seventh trip to Africa, but my first visit to Mombo. I had heard lots of things over the years about this camp, and so this camp had lots to live up to.

The game viewing here was excellent, with close to 70 lions in this area, don't be surprised if you become a bit blasé about seeing them, not that lions are ever run of the mill. In fact one sighting we drove straight past our fourth different pride that we had seen at Mombo in order to see a leopard with a fresh impala kill! We saw the lone Mombo wild dog, and on my last morning I had the pleasure of seeing a pearl-spotted owlet sitting on a tree stump, out in the open. Sometimes the littlest things are the most fun. Don't forget to look out for the famous he/she lion (female lon with a mane).

The accommodation here is some of the best in Botswana, not quite as plush as the top places in the Sabi Sands, but remember this is in the middle of the Okavango Delta. The food is good (thanks Marco) and the staff are friendly. Maybe this is because this wasn't my first visit to a Wilderness camp and I had met a number of staff at some of their other camps.

I highly recommend Mombo and think it is a notch above Chief's Camp (the camp to the south of Mombo) which I stayed at the previous year.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SafariSlim
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is my 4th visit at Mombo and each time it becomes better than before. My favourite place in the Delta. Superb accomodation, excellent food. Staff make you feel at home as soon as you arrive . Game viewing memorable.
I would suggest for families or friends travelling together to make use of Little Mombo which is very private.
I will certainly be back

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stunning rooms. Fantastic setting. Delicious food. Lots of animals ... we even saw a cheetah!

But ... except for a couple of people, we found the staff rather business-like who were just going through the motions. Perhaps with almost a 100% occupancy throughout the year, genuine warmth is hard to find. Of course we didn't visit Mombo for the friendliness of the staff, but having just visited a Classic camp and Lodge (both of which were less expensive) where the staff were so attentive and warm, visiting Mombo was like a cold shower.

Even our guide seemed to have other priorities. I was a bit surprised when he got out his camera and started taking his own photos! He offered to stop the vehicle so that we could have tea, we said it was a good idea but this request was completely ignored!

Don't get me wrong. This is a wonderful place. An elephant wandered too close to the elevated walkway which stopped us getting to tea on time. Fantastic! Up close and personal. Watching hippos from the outdoor bath is delightful too!

Do go and enjoy Mombo but for the price you'd expect just a bit more ...

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AmanDillenia
Management response:Responded 3 July 2012

Mombo truly is an extraordinary place, a game viewing delight. We appreciate the comments and feedback. It is correct that the camp is extremely busy and has a high turnover of guests, however it is our goal to ensure that every guest is hosted in a warm and genuine way. We are a photographic safari company, and our guides have a passion for the wildlife and outdoors, and often wish to expand their knowledge into special interests such as photography. Whilst we encourage these interests, our guests needs must always remain priority. Our guides are often requested to have a sound knowledge of photography to be able to assist our guests who come with high photographic ambitions.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

Pictures cannot do this beautiful camp justice. The staff were highly professional, the setting is just perfect and the whole experience was exceptional!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family