Cartref Hotel
Erw-Lon Farm(Fishguard)
Agoda.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsdog tobyjack russell terrierfamily suitedelicious cooked breakfastvery pleasant stayreception areatea and coffee facilitieslocal producewalking the pembrokeshire coast pathconvenient locationfriendly welcomefeel very welcomecomfortable roomthree nightsyogurtkristinaferry
Reviewed 30 July 2011

side plate for breakfast a no no but the food was ok.
no key to front door having to ring bell to wait to get in was a no no.
dog running around while eating food definite no no.
dog was kind of unpredictable when leaving it sort of went for your ankles a swift kick might of been the answer.
my workmates door was left wide open while landlady wasnt even upstairs with all his belongings open to others.
I think what topped it off for me was i was pulled off our job and had to return home so went to collect my belongings only to find that all my belongings had been moved to my workmates room whilst she cleaned up i thought that was very dis respectful against the law even moving my medication from the table into my personal baggage, on the upside the bedding was clean....

Room Tip: rooms clean
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bradders180
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

I am afraid it is me who is the disappointed one! I gave you and your mate good service cooking you breakfast at 6.45 AM and Toby, the Jack Russell, was not in the restaurant when you were eating! Toby is the therapeut for overstressed travellers - a cuddle gives you back overflowing love! My checkout is 11 AM and you came back after 5 PM. As I had a customer waiting, I cleared your room, discreetly placing your medication into your cosmetic bag so that your mate wouldn't see your medication. Otherwise you would have been responsible for another night's cost. (Your company would not have paid it! I checked.) And there was nobody upstairs! Have a life!

Reviewed 2 July 2011

Reading the previous terrible reviews as we drove to Cartref hotel filled me with dread - I imagine reviews this bad could kill a business but the place is actually fine! It's a two star hotel so it is basic and certainly old- fashioned, but the place is clean and comfortable, the landlady is very friendly and not at all sarcastic as reported below - she is not British and may have been misunderstood I suspect. It has a good old B+B approach - don't go if you are looking for a slick hotel. The landlady made me coffee on arrival and we had a pleasant chat. The one dog is under control at all times or shut away, and was really rather sweet. The breakfast plate is small but the landlady seemed eager to please and was attentive at breakfast. Nice filter coffee and thick toast - better than you get in many guest houses. The many positive comments in the guestbook were reassuring. I think it would be a shame if the reviews online put anyone off. It's not a palace but you won't go far wrong.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ActorOnTour
Reviewed 14 August 2010

This is probably the worst place I've stayed. Went to a party in Fishguard with my boyfriend, brother and his girlfriend. Stayed here for one night-never again!! Dogs roaming around and barking all night, and they also join you for breakfast-probably the most unhygienic thing I've ever seen. Run by one sarcastic woman, paid 65pounds for a double room, which actually was a twin but was told to "push the beds together." Breakfast on a side plate, had to ask for the milk in the morning for cereal and was given yet again another sarcastic comment from the "chef" who was also tho owner/porter/receptionist, very slow service.

In all I would never ever stay here again, even just for the night I would have rather sleep on the streets. Won't be returning

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank c1987
cartrefhotel, Owner at Cartref Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2011

I am sorry you had such a bad experience of the Cartref Hotel! You stayed on a July Saturday, one of the busiest nights of the year, when the street is heaving with revellers. After 1 am when the last pub closes, the street party, with its dramas, starts. Unfortunately, there is not much I can do about it. Your friends in Fishguard should have warned you.
My breakfast, cooked on order, has been praised by customers and the hotel inspector.You may always ask for something more.
Tofie has now passed away, Toby has been banned from the restaurant and is a schoolboy.
Sarcasm - a bitter or wounding remark - I wish to take it back to you to explore the reasons why you wrote your comments.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

We stayed at the Cartref Hotel after completing the first day of the 186 mile Pembrokeshire Coastal Path. The location is great. Plenty of pubs, restaurants, banks, and shops nearby. The landlady was amazing. A very nice Finnish lady who knows about event in Fishguard and had recommendations for restaurants and pubs including menu items! Her two tiny dogs were also good hosts. Our room was light and airy and on the street side of the building. It was quiet after 9pm (the whole town seems quiet after 9pm).We had a double window, but chose to keep the window open all night. There are three pubs close by and an indian restaurant just across the street. Breakfast was excellent. Don't miss the cooked Welsh breakfast!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jetsetgypsy
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Previous review mirrors my stay there. Have never had a "Full English" on a side plate before!! Whole place felt a bit "spooky" to me. Also owners two dogs running around whilst eating my breakfast- ok if you like dogs but if you dont? Whole place needs a SERIOUS update. Staff?? Only the owner far as i could see. Only stayed here cos it was cheap and arrived late in Fishguard and was knackered. Can recommend the pub opposite The Navy Tavern good atmos and food.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo