“Beautiful ”

Price range: US$ 7 - US$ 27
Cuisines: European, British, Pub
Good for: View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Set on top of Bowden Hill with magnificent views across the South Wiltshire countryside and just outside the picturesque National Trust Village of Lacock this Traditional Oak Beamed Pub is the 'quaint essential' English Country inn. Fast building it's reputation for excellent home cooked food using fantastic Local Produce whilst still providing 'Good Traditional Pub Fayre' This is a Must try place. Offering Great choice of Real Ales from the Popular and Local 'Moles' Brewery in Melksham and with those magnificent views you really must give us a go! Roger & Kay look forward to Looking after you!
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Had the perfect afternoon in the garden, staff are so friendly and welcoming, can't recommend enough.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I have eaten here before when the previous owners were running it - it was fine, not amazing, but perfectly decent. Now the Rising Sun is run by different people who've not had it long. So teething problems are to be expected. So I'm hoping that with time the food will improve. At the moment it is pretty disappointing. I had a family dinner there the other night. Several people ordered what was billed as 'chicken curry'. When put like that, you assume Indian I think. But in fact it was a terribly spicy Thai-style curry which the older members of the party simply couldn't eat. I told the new owner he should say Thai curry on the menu and add some sort of spice grading, and to be fair he concurred. Apart from the heat, it was a bit watery. I ordered a 'pea and leek risotto'. I never order risotto in pubs and this one reminded me why. It wasn't risotto; it was cooked rice, with some peas thrown in, and scant evidence of leeks. When I asked for cheese I was given a bowl of grated cheddar rather than Parmesan. The only reason I am not giving a 'poor' rating is because the staff seemed to take on board our comments about the curry, and gave us some nice ice-cream on the house. But they really need to up their game in order to make their food as lovely as the view.

1  Thank Gaijinette
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Went for a midweek family supper. Really enjoyed the mussels, fresh up from Cornwall where the landlord used to live. We sat inside as it was a chilly evening, at a cosy scrubbed table. The conservatory with more table space has great views from Bowden Hill.

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I have reviewed this pub a couple of times in the past positively but today I am afraid this review will be negative. My wife and I went here for lunch as we had been many times before and knew we would get a good well cooked meal and most of all triple cooked chips! I ordered a medium to well done rump steak, chips and salad. My wife ordered double fish cakes, chips and salad. Oh dear. We did not get chips triple fried we got fries. I could have gone to Burger King if we wanted fries! My steak was not the best and I'm really not sure if it was a rump steak. The salad was straight out of a bag of salad you can get for £1 at the local supermarket, My wife had two very small salmon fish cakes. Again her chips were fries! The fish cakes were not very large and there was not much salmon in them! We were told by the server, who was very polite and friendly, that there were new owners from Cornwall and maybe there were still finding their feet. The price for my steak was £16 and for the fish cakes were £14. Sorry but I do not think these meals were worth the money. We may be back but it is unlikely to be soon.

2  Thank Mohawk1946
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We had a family day out at the Lacock Scarecrow Festival (Saturday) and called in on the way home as the kids were thirsty.
I went to the bar to order and the young girl who was serving asked if we were eating. When I said no, she replied in a hugely patronising manner, “Oh, really?” and promptly turned her back on us. After a couple of minutes of faffing about and seemingly doing nothing of any importance, she finally poured my drink before looking at my partner and rudely barking, and I quote, “What do you want?” She then did the same to the kids without the merest hint of a smile or so much as a please or thank you.
Her rudeness really irritated us so we decided to drink up and move on, but on leaving, I put all our empty glasses on the bar and said thanks and goodbye. I appreciate this is no big deal but having worked in pubs it’s something I always do, but again, the girl practically glared at us, didn’t acknowledge what I'd done, didn’t thank us for our custom or bother to say goodbye.
I know places like this make their money on food, but first and foremost it’s a pub, and as such, I don’t think we should be made to feel bad just because we wanted a couple of rounds of drinks. Talking of food, £9.50 for a baguette with a handful of chips? Ouch!
Not a good experience at all......

4  Thank Redneck17