All reviews michelin star restaurant outdoor pool petit fours the main hotel steam room course tasting menu four poster bed sussex countryside venison birthday treat sitting room changing rooms amuse bouche standard room relaxing break south downs cooked breakfast
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We arrived Monday night. And. After a very long drive was welcomed by friendly staff (Bruno) .

Master suite is amazing . Lauren is a huge credit .

All the staff are lovely and as young as some are , they made it very present.

Now for the spa , it lost you a mark. It's not great . Treatment was ace (Tiffany) very good but that's it . Very bland and not worth the money .

Dinner was ace in the main house.

Sadly disappointed by no background music resulting to dinner being spoilt by kitchen noise, and not being able to discuss business with my partner.

After dinner speaking to another couple they mentioned the same comments.

I would have liked to have left more money here however having to go to a pub down the road after dinner to discuss business after spending 900 pounds as I didn't want people hearing business was a little lame .

Staff amazing , food also but it's the owners fault on no background music .

Well done staff but you are let down by the owners . I also noticed that they don't put service on the stay . As somebody who stays in pride of Britain booklet allot , this is always on bills and I left a voluntary service.

This shows the owners do not really care for their team.

Fair and honest review

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fionnan C
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Overpriced, mediocre hotel and grounds masquerading as something exceptional and in reality is too tired and average to be anything better than a good B&B.

When we arrived there were soiled knickers in the drawer. And one biscuit. They did rectify both issue the first night - the biscuits went and were never replaced. The carpet had bald patches. The bathroom tiling had been poorly repaired and mismatched and bulged on the shower wall near the WC - ready to shave your ankles.

The bathroom extractor fan didn't work - which made the room too stuffy. There was no aircon - so that wasn't an option.

Then the kettle leaked. And the evil coffee pod machine couldn't be used because it didn't reach the power point - which could only be interchanged with the kettle - you couldn't plug both - even if it reached. Student dorm room style.

The beds an bedding were comfy and ample and the views from the second floor quite good. We booked late so I won't criticise the room allocation - but the second floor for dogs... not so great, but we managed. Unfortunately the grounds are rubbish for dogs even just for comfort breaks - and no bins/bags. Fortunately we are resourceful, experienced and considerate pet owners.

Room service was OK. Soup of the day didn't change between days.... worryingly. But they made us an alternative on request and basic extras not on the menu (boiled eggs). We ate out for lunch then had a light supper by room service - since there was nowhere to eat at the hotel with dogs in tow. Dog owners will no doubt understand.

Hot and cold water was fine - but a mixer tap on the basin saves being scalded when trying to wash your hands. Thats just annoying.

We did breakfast at the hotel and it was good (exceptionally good eggs) - but inconsistent standards. Service one day was swift, the next we thought they forgot us! And tomatoes went from 2 pieces - to one piece. The sausages halved in length. The two toast racks (for three people) became one rack. The tea came... and cooled - and had to be replaced because the food took too long.

The spa was nice - although the outside area by the pool was not great - the showers and pool were OK and the gym just sufficient. Although unattended and nowhere to place discarded towels or rubbish. The changing rooms ran out of bags for wet costumes and were not replenished over a 90 minute period. Everything was just a bit under par and not what I expect in this price bracket.

Coffee - avoid it. Admittedly, I am picky - but the bitter sludge and big bubble foam would not pass muster in a Starbucks and I wouldn't drink coffee in a Starbucks! It was grim. Admittedly I tried it only once- I wasn't about to turn the other cheek.

No charger for the electric car - but didn't need it. Apparently being fitted this year. And nobody signposts or polices the parking to the road linking the parking allotments - which roads get blocked by twerps.

Help with the luggage took several trips for the poor soul allowed to do it - no lift.

The people were nice and friendly - but the management is simply not on point.

Compared to, say, The Four Seasons, same price range, superior facilities and amenity - this isn't a place that beckons us to revisit. And yet it sounded so promising!

So Kudos on your hotel marketing skills. And either - Boo for delivery, or, more kudos for the successful con. I can't tell which it was - but once bitten.... all readers should be shy.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
7  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Overnight stay with my husband as Christmas present- stayed over on Friday night and spent the day in the spa including treatment,,,,,very relaxing, although children allowed in with parents from 4pm so time to leave!
Included evening meal, which was delicious 5 courses and well presented. Lovely comfortable room overlooking gardens. Following morning after breakfast went for 4 mile circular walk around local countryside and came across honesty farm shop so got vegetables and fresh eggs!
Both enjoyed our stay and would come again.

Room Tip: Use spa mid week and include lunch or afternoon tea to avoid families
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My husband is a keen swimmer has been a member of this spa for years, but it’s gone really downhill since he joined. I was shocked on my recent visit as his guest to see paster falling off the walls and how unclean the place is. The steam room smelled mouldy, the outside hot tub was not working, the inside hot tub was cold, even the nice infused water dispensers they used to have are gone and replaced with the odd (often empty) jug of water around the place. Everywhere you look there are maintenance issues. I had a massage there on a previous visit and they decided to fix the wall with a hammer during it!
Another time I took 6 staff there and when we arrived they said they didn’t have enough therapists that day so all our prebooked treatments had to be severely shortened and some cancelled.
The staff are not very attentive so it’s difficult to order any drinks or food. There only a few loungers inside and none that you can lie flat on so no chance of sleeping.
For some unknown reason they allow young kids in the spa, so just when you are trying to relax, screaming children shatter the peace....and run riot round the place going in places they shouldn’t like the sauna and steam room.
They’ve really let this place go. This is not the place it once was and definitely not worth the money. We are in the process of moving membership elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bradleydas
Reviewed 18 March 2018

What a wonderful morning, arrived to be greeted in comfortable waiting area and asked to complete prescription questionnaire. Tea and coffee available.
Then we were shown the spa area and allowed to enjoy the facilities. The pool was a lovely temperature and although there were quite a few guests none of the facilities were overcrowded. I particularly enjoyed the outdoor pool, even in march and hot tub.
We then enjoyed a smoothie as part of our package and relaxed in the upstairs relax lounge.
We had our treatment, elements one hour massage. What can I say ? Other than thank you to Tyler! The best massage I have had... ever. Real attention to detail, lovely aromas, loved the heated back pad, the hot stones. It really was a bespoke massage as mine was completely different to my mums.
Then a little time to relax in another chill out area before getting dressed for lunch
Lunch was in the hotel restaurant, wow.... delicious and fabulous service. We had a great table with a view of the garden
Thank you everyone a lovely morning celebrating my 50 th. I hope to be back.

Stayed: March 2018